Steam Auth

From http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/275972-Football-Manager-2012-Activation-Steam-FAQ

"Q. Can I install Football Manager 2012 on multiple computers?

A. Yes. When activated once on your Steam account, all you have to do to play the game on a new computer is install Steam and re-download the game from your Steam games library. You can do this on as many computers as you like; the only limitation is that you can only log in to your Steam account on one computer at a time."

Is untue.

I installed on my desktop with Steam, started a new game, played a bit worked fine.

Installed on my laptop with Steam (Logged out of steam on Desktop, in fact desktop is off entirely). When I go to play it gives me http://www.footballmanager.com/support/game_problem_en_us.html and says I am not playing a legitimate copy.

I've contacted SEGA to find out whats up but if its like any other time I expect Ill hear from them in a week or two. The 'helpdesk' portion for North America is currently offline

You are doing something wrong.

Make sure you are logging into your Steam account that you installed the game on your desktop,then go to your game library and the game should be there,you may have to download it again through Steam but you are for sure doing something wrong.

You are doing something wrong.

Make sure you are logging into your Steam account that you installed the game on your desktop,then go to your game library and the game should be there,you may have to download it again through Steam but you are for sure doing something wrong.

I am assure you, I am not. I only have 1 steam account, it was in my library, I installed it, it boots me out when I try to do anything saying I need to buy it.

I have been using Steam for ages and I can confirm you are doing something wrong, when I go to my mum's visiting for example I can log in to my Steam account and download any game from my Library and play it at her house. I can then come home and play at home , it is your library for your Steam account you can play them anywhere. Yes you will have to download to the 2nd computer of course but once you have done that it will work. Of course you must be logging into your steam account, the same steam account you purchased the game under

I am assure you, I am not. I only have 1 steam account, it was in my library, I installed it, it boots me out when I try to do anything saying I need to buy it.

If you hadn't bought it , it wouldn't even show up in your Steam account library

If you hadn't bought it , it wouldn't even show up in your Steam account library

Yes, exactly. I'm getting jerked around by some sort of DRM

For what its worth, I have every FM for the last decade, the last 2 or 3 bought through steam and managed to install on my desktop and laptop without issue. The procedure isn't new to me.

You could try and verify the game cache,it could be it just missed a few files on download,worth giving that a go.

Right click the game in your library>properties>local files>verify game cache.

Thanks. I did that too, no problems. The game launches fine. I get to the menu, I hit preferences or whatever and it closes my game and pops up that web page I linked above.

You could always try uninstalling the game through Steam and reinstalling it again.

I checked the Steam forums and no-one else is reporting this problem.

I have no doubt its something obscure, I just know It's not something I'm personally doing, its kinda hard to screw up, login to steam, right click Football Manager 2012, Hit play or install or whatever and you are good to go. Steam forums are usually out of date for support, the sticky is still for FM10 when I looked earlier, this is a much more responsive forum :p

I am trying re-installing, not much else I can think of.

• Administrators

They reckon it's a firewall issue - what firewall/anti-virus you running on the machine with the problem? May be worth starting a thread in the Tech Issues forum so it doesn't get lost - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/248-Technical-Issues-and-Crashes

They reckon it's a firewall issue - what firewall/anti-virus you running on the machine with the problem? May be worth starting a thread in the Tech Issues forum so it doesn't get lost - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/248-Technical-Issues-and-Crashes

Ok, so its not a firewall issue as I don't use one. I only have Microsoft Security Essentials and I can't seem to figure out how to turn it off, theres no obvious off button.

Regardless. I re-installed.

Attempt 1 - I ran the game, same thing, booted me out, said buy it.

Attempt 2 - I restarted steam first and then ran the game again, same thing booted me out but this time a steam window popped up and said 'completing installation' then threw an error at me saying installation failed, error number 53.

Attempt 3 - Restarted steam again, reloaded the game, tried to start a game, it booted me out again, said completing installation again, this time it succeeded and automatically re-launched itself and it appears to be working, I started a new game.

After all that I closed and re-launched again to make sure and it appears to have sorted out whatever issues it had.

So hopefully it stays that way, I appreciate everyones suggestions and am happy that its working :)

Archived