Steam CONSTANTLY trying to update and failing... PLEASE HELP!!

i bought the game about 4 hrs ago and STILL can not get on due to steam,

i originally went on and tried to put the product key in. My product key was 15 characters with dashes as yours would be. i had on my steam 5 boxes to type in the product key so i knew it wasnt going to work. i thought it was the game itself so i took the game back for a replacement.

i now have came back and deleted that version of steam i had and downloaded another. NOW though, it is constantly trying to download an update which takes ages and when it gets towards the end constantly comes up with the message...

" STEAM NEEDS TO BE ONLINE TO UPDATE. PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR NETWORK CONNECTION AND TRY AGAIN "

i am clearly on the internet since ive been moaning for hours on twitter to @si_games about my problem.

i have no idea what to do and i am sick to death of this.

on the verge of snapping the disc as some sort of relief.

if it helps i am using a mac, no idea whether that makes any difference or not.

PLEASE HELP it would greatly appreciated.

Ross

check if your firewall is not blocking steam

also try this if your using a mac:

1.Go to Users->%your_account%->Library->Application Support->Steam

‪2.‬Open registry.vdf using a text editor like TextEdit

‪3.‬This is basically the registry hive Steam uses in Windows. Go to the Registry->HKCU->Software->Valve->Steam->Offline key

‪4.‬Change the value from "1" to "0".

‪5.‬Save and close registry.vdf

‪6.‬Start Steam. It should now update itself.

fyi for a similar issue. If Steam tries to update every time you start up it could be your config.vdf file

Users--->library--->application support--->steam--->config

open in textedit and change the "first run" "1" to "first run" "0" and save that.

I had this problem too earlier in the week, it's quite common. Steam is great when it works but all too often it doesn't work properly.

EDIT: I tried what Aim_Less suggested but the registry.vdf file was missing half of the information that was supposed to be in it. I fixed it anyway but can't remember how.

Archived