Unstoppable strikers

I've noticed that certain strikers in the game seem to be totally unstoppable. For example, we all know in real life that it is extremely rare for a player in the English Premier League to score more goals than the amount of games he's played (e.g. 36 goals in 27 games).

Yet some strikers on the game seem to just go crazy, especially after the first season. In my game, Didier Drogba is on 18 goals in 12 games, and Emmanuel Adebayor is on 21 goals in 13 games!

Does the game struggle to cope with getting other players to score goals? I notice wide players in particular fail to score many goals at all, and indeed give the ball away an awful lot, which then later fails to translate into their final match rating, which is often high despite it.

I just think some strikers go on to score unrealistic amounts of goals. I wondered if anyone agrees. Or am I all alone on this one?

I've noticed that certain strikers in the game seem to be totally unstoppable. For example, we all know in real life that it is extremely rare for a player in the English Premier League to score more goals than the amount of games he's played (e.g. 36 goals in 27 games).

Yet some strikers on the game seem to just go crazy, especially after the first season. In my game, Didier Drogba is on 18 goals in 12 games, and Emmanuel Adebayor is on 21 goals in 13 games!

Does the game struggle to cope with getting other players to score goals? I notice wide players in particular fail to score many goals at all, and indeed give the ball away an awful lot, which then later fails to translate into their final match rating, which is often high despite it.

I just think some strikers go on to score unrealistic amounts of goals. I wondered if anyone agrees. Or am I all alone on this one?

My strikers score quite a lot, but then I do play with 1 upfront so the play generally comes to him in the end for scoring goals. My AMCs have banged in a fair few though - Diego hit 21 for Bremen last season and he and Riquelme both have ~14 so far this season.

As for wingers, I agree my wingers at Bremen infuriate me with always losing the ball before they manage to get a cross in or if they do finally manage to hit a cross they have waited so long that ~75% of the time it deflects off a defender for a corner. Strangely though my Fiorentina wingers do a far better job despite playing in the same formation and instructions as my Bremen team. They are very good players, but then so are my Bremen wingers icon_confused.gif

Back to the original point though, I do see quite a few strikers in AI teams who have ridiculous numbers of goals, especially those playing in non-active leagues - e.g. when Tottenham visited Bremen in the Champions League this season I noticed Darren Bent had got 10's in 4 of his last 5 games and had scored something like 12 goals in 6 league games icon_rolleyes.gif

I have Cristiano Ronaldo, and all he does is either allow the ball to bounce off him to the opposition, or hit the first man with his crosses.

Despite this, he has an average rating approaching 8.00. Weird.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by madog308:

i seem to be the odd one out, because my wingers score 1 goal every 2 games(i have c.ronaldo and joquin) but i do agree with you about the strikers scoring lots of goals. but my MC's hardly ever score maby 1 in 10 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1/10 is exellant for allmost any MC. how do you set your wingers arrows (ML-> AML or ML-> AMC)? do you use defoult formations?

1/10 excellent for an MC? That means ~5 goals per season. That's fine for a holding midfielder I guess, but it's hardly excellent for an MC who joins in with attacking play more regularly. I don't actually play an MC most of the time so maybe you aren't including AMCs in that, but if my AMCs only scored 1 goal in every 10 games I certainly wouldn't consider it as "excellent"!

1/10 is exellant for allmost allmost any MC. sorry. maybe I should have wrote, 1/10 is quite OK for any central midfielder or holding midfielder in real world, who doesn't take spot and free kicks. not attacking midfielder.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I assume Claude Makalele would kill for a one in ten goalscoring record!

Problem is, too many attacking central midfielders are Makalele-esque in their goalscoring exploits.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

My strikers score quite a lot, but then I do play with 1 upfront so the play generally comes to him in the end for scoring goals. My AMCs have banged in a fair few though - Diego hit 21 for Bremen last season and he and Riquelme both have ~14 so far this season.

As for wingers, I agree my wingers at Bremen infuriate me with always losing the ball before they manage to get a cross in or if they do finally manage to hit a cross they have waited so long that ~75% of the time it deflects off a defender for a corner. Strangely though my Fiorentina wingers do a far better job despite playing in the same formation and instructions as my Bremen team. They are very good players, but then so are my Bremen wingers icon_confused.gif

Back to the original point though, I do see quite a few strikers in AI teams who have ridiculous numbers of goals, especially those playing in non-active leagues - e.g. when Tottenham visited Bremen in the Champions League this season I noticed Darren Bent had got 10's in 4 of his last 5 games and had scored something like 12 goals in 6 league games icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I just ask what that means?

(sorry - don't understand it)

Rooney is another mental striker who can't stop scoring.

But as for MCs, the Lampards and Gerrards of this world are very rare indeed, but since they play very advanced roles for MCs IRL they're bound to out-score similar players. And on the game, Elano and Messi et al are just freaks.

I think 5-10 goals a season is good for the average MC. Nigel Reo-Coker plays pretty much every game for Aston Villa but on my Football365 dream team he has no assists and no goals, while in the Sun dream team his ratings are okay.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Little Miss Tootsie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

Back to the original point though, I do see quite a few strikers in AI teams who have ridiculous numbers of goals, especially those playing in non-active leagues - e.g. when Tottenham visited Bremen in the Champions League this season I noticed Darren Bent had got 10's in 4 of his last 5 games and had scored something like 12 goals in 6 league games icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I just ask what that means?

(sorry - don't understand it) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It means he has a rating of ten out of ten in four of his last five games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Rooney is another mental striker who can't stop scoring.

But as for MCs, the Lampards and Gerrards of this world are very rare indeed, but since they play very advanced roles for MCs IRL they're bound to out-score similar players. And on the game, Elano and Messi et al are just freaks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's what I was trying to say about 1/10 icon_smile.gif

10 goals in league is awsome for most MC's. even gerrard wouldn't be ashamed of that.

problem with rooney or kuyt is even though I believe thier stats do represent their real life ability, the combination of all +16 stats is making them un-stopable. add to that ME favourites strikers, they are able to score loads in the game. maybe SI should consider how they set players, IMO any player who has 3-5 attributes 16+ should allready be world class, or very near that.

messi, silva and elano are just examples of very well know "weak-weak foot, flow". just take a look to players like demy de zeeuw, breno, arshavin, briand...ridicoulus!!

10 goals in the league is better than a 1/4 goalscoring record though so that is definitely good for an MC.

In Scottish Division 2 I had an MC who was actually playing in an MC role rather than the AMCs I use at Bremen and Fiorentina. He was scoring easily better than 1 in 2 which I was very happy with, although that same season my main striker also scored 31 which is maybe a tad excessive for real life.

At Bremen Ciprian Marica has 36 goals in ~36 games for me so far this season. I don't know off-hand who the top goalscorers are in the German Bundesliga, but I guess they don't have quite that many (probably only ~25 are league goals though). Playing 2 AMCs just behind the lone striker though he gets a hell of a lot of goalscoring chances since Bremen are one of the top teams in the league and Diego and Riquelme behind him are a striker's dream when it comes to sending in pinpoint through-balls. Marica is not world class, but he's a pretty good striker and relishes the service so it's a lot down to tactics. If I had two upfront and no AMCs maybe the goalscoring would be more spread around?

At Bremen Ciprian Marica has 36 goals in ~36 games for me so far this season. I don't know off-hand who the top goalscorers are in the real life German Bundesliga, but I guess they don't have quite that many (probably only ~25 are league goals though). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I had two upfront and no AMCs maybe the goalscoring would be more spread around? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

probably, to other striker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

If I had two upfront and no AMCs maybe the goalscoring would be more spread around? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

probably, to other striker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that would probably be the response icon_razz.gif

It wasn't the case with my 4-4-2 at Torshavn in Scottish Div 3, but that was probably because the 2nd striker was never all that good and I rotated quite a few players around that position so come to think of it if I add up all their scraps and offerings it probably totalled to a significant number of striker goals.

Of course, given the corner "bug" lots of people have centre-backs who score 40 goals per season anyway so a striker doing that is at least a tad more realistic icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

of course you're not alone on this. this issue is just repeating year after year. and yes wingers are more or less useless, the only thing they're good at is conceeding corners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to completely disagree here. While the Strikers scoring too many goals is clearly an issue, Wingers are not useless. You need to learn how to use the wingers, so that they can provide assist after assist for you. icon14.gif

it's luca toni, who is world class striker: 26/16 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, I suspected it might be. I imagine Klose is not all that far behind either. Both scored a hideous number of goals for Bayern last season in my game. I'd have had them both down as targetmen and probably not all that suited to playing together, but I guess they are both world class all-round strikers. Certainly in FM with Bayern playing those 2 upfront they get loads of goals, but the Bayern midfield scored a few last season too (e.g. 10 for van Bommel )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

of course you're not alone on this. this issue is just repeating year after year. and yes wingers are more or less useless, the only thing they're good at is conceeding corners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to completely disagree here. While the Strikers scoring too many goals is clearly an issue, Wingers are not useless. You need to learn how to use the wingers, so that they can provide assist after assist for you. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So all other players are capable of doing their jobs properly and realistically, except for strikers who score too many, and wingers who we have to 'learn how to use'?

How do you know I don't know how to use my wingers? And why would Cristiano Ronaldo lose all his ability just because of it? When I pick him on the right wing, whatever I do, he should be able to control a ball and make the occasional decent cross.

my winger is cracking the goals in, Lennon at spurs...but then again its all to do with my tactics as i have re trained him as an AMC and he now cuts into the centre and score goals, better than having him cross the ball in as he's just as useless in the game as in real life aswell lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

I have to completely disagree here. While the Strikers scoring too many goals is clearly an issue, Wingers are not useless. You need to learn how to use the wingers, so that they can provide assist after assist for you. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's what many people say these days. and then after I see how they set them, it's more or less same like I do. guys who are mentioning how good wingers play, but nobody puts any screenshot to back it up. if they do mostly they play some weird looking formation which is nothing more then ME exploit.

that's what many people say these days. and then after I see how they set them, it's more or less same like I do. guys who are mentioning how good wingers play, but nobody puts any screenshot to back it up. if they do mostly they play some weird looking formation which is nothing more then ME exploit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Screen shot to "back it up"...

And, whats an "ME Exploit" (Never heard or seen of the term before)

that's what many people say these days. and then after I see how they set them, it's more or less same like I do. guys who are mentioning how good wingers play, but nobody puts any screenshot to back it up. if they do mostly they play some weird looking formation which is nothing more then ME exploit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And, whats an "ME Exploit" (Never heard or seen of the term before) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Match Engine exploit. Means you're exploiting a weakness or fault in the match engine. Although that's an assumption because I'm not familiar with the term either! And it should also be pointed out that if he's calling for those claiming that wingers do work to post screenshots, then he should ask the same of those of us, like me, who feel that they don't.

What I will say is that I feel that I have very talented wingers who play as if they have leprosy. The just bounces off them and they are unable to beat a man or cross a ball. I'm talking about the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs and Nani. These players are talented enough to be able to do the basics of a winger's game regardless of what my tactics and settings might be. Not that I believe my tactics or settings are responsible for this issue I'm having.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

And, whats an "ME Exploit" (Never heard or seen of the term before) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Match Engine exploit. Means you're exploiting a weakness or fault in the match engine. Although that's an assumption because I'm not familiar with the term either! And it should also be pointed out that if he's calling for those claiming that wingers do work to post screenshots, then he should ask the same of those of us, like me, who feel that they don't.

What I will say is that I feel that I have very talented wingers who play as if they have leprosy. The just bounces off them and they are unable to beat a man or cross a ball. I'm talking about the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs and Nani. These players are talented enough to be able to do the basics of a winger's game regardless of what my tactics and settings might be. Not that I believe my tactics or settings are responsible for this issue I'm having. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a fair point, and I hate to use the Cliche, because it gets annoying, but a lot of it has to do with your tactics.

88 assists in 61 games is idiotic - if it isn't a match engine exploit then it's just a bug in general!

I assume he is your corner taker so that will account for quite a few assists I guess. Also if he takes freekicks he will have more assists like that. Still doesn't really give an indication of how many times he actually runs down the wing and whips a cross in which is what most people hope or expect from a winger unless they are on instructions to try to cut infield and score rather than to create.

just to add, I think 802 ME is quite OK, but constant ignoring detailes like wingers unable to do anything, except bouncing the ball to opponent for corner or players having 100 assists in season, or strikers scoring 80 goals, really teakes any joy of playing this game to me. and that's only a couple of ME issuses. not to mention confidece or transfers. icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

What I will say is that I feel that I have very talented wingers who play as if they have leprosy. The just bounces off them and they are unable to beat a man or cross a ball. I'm talking about the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs and Nani. These players are talented enough to be able to do the basics of a winger's game regardless of what my tactics and settings might be. Not that I believe my tactics or settings are responsible for this issue I'm having. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a fair point, and I hate to use the Cliche, because it gets annoying, but a lot of it has to do with your tactics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I work damn hard on my tactics, though. And I just cannot believe that Sir Alex Ferguson, or for that matter any manager with an international playing career behind them (as I am set to) would have such a battle just to get the likes of Ronaldo, Nani and Giggs to understand what a football is for!

88 assists in a season. are you sure you're not managing NBA team icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt they have corners in the NBA icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LatZee:

88 assists in a season. are you sure you're not managing NBA team icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt they have corners in the NBA icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

me too icon_wink.gif

88 assists in 61 games is idiotic - if it isn't a match engine exploit then it's just a bug in general!

I assume he is your corner taker so that will account for quite a few assists I guess. Also if he takes freekicks he will have more assists like that. Still doesn't really give an indication of how many times he actually runs down the wing and whips a cross in which is what most people hope or expect from a winger unless they are on instructions to try to cut infield and score rather than to create. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His FK rating is 8, and he doesn't take them. He does take corners form 1 side though. (I have someone else taking "Left" corners)

I can only give you my word that the majority of his assists, (literally, 70+ of them) come from him receiving the ball wide, and knocking it in for THIS GUY, who has 196 goals SO FAR this season. (Would be nice if he hit the 200 mark.)

And before you all start accusing me of cheating, (Its bound to happen) .. here are the facts.

1. I play on a Mac, so there are no editor programs available to me.

2. I'm in 2035 in this game, so I couldn't possibly have edited them in the Data Editor.

3. I play in N. Ireland, arguably the easy "premier" league in Football Manager. In the league, I'm unbeaten in nearly 400 league games. (13 seasons)

4. All my progress, every single season, has a very detailed report in "Gundo's Challenge" thread.

A few things that may put your mind at rest.

Yes, I DO use the corner cheat. Smylie however, is not the player that scores from the corners, and strain only takes corners from the right hand side.

I've never downloaded a tactic in my life, and spent a very, very long time developing THIS TACTIC, which shows the very importance of wingers, and also shows, in detail how to get them to play well for you. It was awarded a spot in Cleon's tactical bible for this version of FM.

I spend a lot of time on my long term games, and put a lot of effort into finding great players to play for my team. This doesn't necessarily mean the player with the best stats, but more, the player that will work best with what I'm doing in my team.

If you have any questions, or disbelief's about anything I've shown, let me know, and I'll give you all the screen shots you need.

Incidentally, I haven't found the corner cheat to be all that prolific. Vidic gets a few, I guess. But Ferdinand rarely scores. If anything, I've found the corner cheat seems to make things more realistic!

Thats a fair point, and I hate to use the Cliche, because it gets annoying, but a lot of it has to do with your tactics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I work damn hard on my tactics, though. And I just cannot believe that Sir Alex Ferguson, or for that matter any manager with an international playing career behind them (as I am set to) would have such a battle just to get the likes of Ronaldo, Nani and Giggs to understand what a football is for! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry, I didn't mean for it to come across in the manner I did. I'm sure you do work hard at tactics, but I personally think I've "cracked" wingers on this game. (See tactics link in post above). Everyone has their opinion, and is entitled to it, and that was mine. I'm not saying that you're wrong, and that I could get Nani/C. Ronaldo / Giggs to play brilliantly, but I know for a fact its not the Match Engine, or the game conspiring against these players, to make them pay poorly.

Incidentally, I haven't found the corner cheat to be all that prolific. Vidic gets a few, I guess. But Ferdinand rarely scores. If anything, I've found the corner cheat seems to make things more realistic! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My "corner cheat" player has scred 22 goals all season. only 14 were from corners. In the league, the "goals from corners" actually shows me 3rd behind two AI teams.

Glentoran - 33 Goals from corners

Linfield - 29 Goals from corners

Knockbreda - 28 Goals from corners

Next on the list...

Cliftonville - 7 goals from corners.

Why the massive gap? The three at the top, are the only Professional teams in the league, meaning they dominate every game against those who are still Semi-Pro.

I work damn hard on my tactics, though. And I just cannot believe that Sir Alex Ferguson, or for that matter any manager with an international playing career behind them (as I am set to) would have such a battle just to get the likes of Ronaldo, Nani and Giggs to understand what a football is for! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry, I didn't mean for it to come across in the manner I did. I'm sure you do work hard at tactics, but I personally think I've "cracked" wingers on this game. (See tactics link in post above). Everyone has their opinion, and is entitled to it, and that was mine. I'm not saying that you're wrong, and that I could get Nani/C. Ronaldo / Giggs to play brilliantly, but I know for a fact its not the Match Engine, or the game conspiring against these players, to make them pay poorly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I think my reply gave you the impression that I took offence at your post. I assure you I did not.

I should point out a couple of things. Firstly, I don't believe the game ever conspires against the human user. That wouldn't make sense. Why would SI seek to deliberately disgruntle their customers? They wouldn't. So I agree that my problem with wingers is not any sort of conspiracy. Also, I should say that, overall, I love the match engine post-8.0.2. It feels smoother, more organic and... well, more real!

Still, I don't see why the only position on the pitch that needs 'cracking' is the wingers. And I don't understand what could be so wrong with my tactics that my wingers are so, so bad. What's especially strange is that their ratings at the end of matches doesn't seem to reflect what I see them do on the pitch. I watch them blast the ball at the nearest opposition man or just allow it to bounce off themselves, and yet they usually come out with a 7 or 8 and occasionally a 9. I guess you could say I'm a little bit stumped on this one.

To be honest my winegrs for Arsenal are banging in the goals as is my AMC.

Van Persie - 8 Games 5 Goals 4 Assists

Quaresma - 6 Games 2 Goals 3 Assists

Aguero - 4 Games 6 Goals 2 Assists

Striker

Adebayor - 8 Games 2 Goals 1 Assist

Screen shot to "back it up"... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really like the fact that every regen or any player with 0 in editor, has 18 in long throw stat. it really adds to game's reallity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's the only player in my team with it that high.

18 x 1

17 x 1

16 x 3

15 x 1

14 x 1

13 x 1

12 x 1

11 x 4

<10 x 15.

NepentheZ

those stats you shown just proove what we want to say. that some things in this game are frankly...idiotic. thanks.

SI should suspend you with red card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please explain why they should suspend me with a Red?

Why the need to take an otherwise interesting discussion, and make it personal towards me?

are the things I've achieved are idiotic and unreal? Perhaps. But until we his 2035 in the real footballing world, I'll leave it open for judgment.

red card- obviously a joke. becouse your screenies just show how successful you are (bravo for that) and how unrealistic the game is. there wasn't anything personal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*Needs to start seeing the jokes on this forum icon_biggrin.gif*

Always get the wrong end of the stick.

Archived