Steam Downloading

All you people in the UK must have smoking hot internet connections... Across the pond it took me about 20 minutes, averaging 2mb/s, even though my ISP claims the connection is 15mb/s download...false claims.

Well, if your ISP advertises your package as 15mb/s, that means MegaBits, not MegaBytes. There is a distinct difference between the two. If you were downloading at 15 megabytes per second, im afraid you'd have one of the fastest internet connections in the US, probably not even available on residential lines.

As it stands, your 15mbit connection should download FM in about 25 minutes depending on if you're getting full speed.

All you people in the UK must have smoking hot internet connections... Across the pond it took me about 20 minutes, averaging 2mb/s, even though my ISP claims the connection is 15mb/s download...false claims.

Mine is even less than that. 1.3 mb/s on average and the max was only 2mb/s. Same thing, they claim it's 15mb/s...

Very important question here. If I have the boxed copy with disc I presume I will not need to download anything off steam?

No, but it will only install once Steam allows activation. Otherwise you can enter the key and pre-load directly from Steam.

All you need to do is wait until 00:01 and then install from disk.

No, but it will only install once Steam allows activation. Otherwise you can enter the key and pre-load directly from Steam.

All you need to do is wait until 00:01 and then install from disk.

Thanks, I am getting delivered tomorrow so once get the disc will activate!

all I know is its a mid range talktalk deal and its 8.1 meg average

It took me about 5 minites, but i have a 50Mbit connection.

It depends on your bandwidth, and depending on provider, the cap... none of which you have provided :)

Mine is even less than that. 1.3 mb/s on average and the max was only 2mb/s. Same thing, they claim it's 15mb/s...

There are 8 bits in a byte.

Divide your ISP claimed speed by 8 and you will get the maximum download speed in megabytes.

For example, in your case, you have a 15 megabit download speed. Divide that by 8 and it's 1.875. That means you can download at 1.875mbps. 1.875 megabytes per second.

If I use Steam and download it and my PC needs to be reinstalled do I get to download it again? Ive never used Steam always bought the disc but considering it this time.

game stays tied to steam, so if your pc got wiped or replaced, you only need to install steam and can download the game again

Archived