Steam

I'd just like to state how disappointed I am that you folks have decided to use steam as a sole distribution outlet for FM2012.

I received my pre-ordered DVD copy today and noticed internet activation written on the box(which I can live with), but also a steam account required. Why????

I've had steam for many years, but I've learnt to use it as little as possible; usually by not purchasing the products that require it. I consider it bloat-ware, to be filed alongside browser toolbar plugins and various other parastic crap that people install on their PC's nowadays.

I could go into detail about why I hate it, but essentially it takes control of where, when and how software is installed on my computer away from me. When I run with a relatively small 80GB SSD as my C drive which steam loves to fill up, despite me asking it to install to another disk, then you can understand my frustration. Also, I've had a lot of trouble with it in the past not using my DVD to install from and trying to download a 10GB game instead, just for giggles.

I don't expect you folks to do anything; at the end of the day its up to you who you use for distribution and activation and its entirely my fault for purchasing the title without checking first. However I live in hope that if enough of your customers say they hate steam, you may reconsider using them as a sole means of distribution for future titles.

Hello,

Thanks for letting us know your views in such a reasonable manner. We feel that the benefits gained from using Steam, at this point, outweigh the potential negatives, which is why we're going with it this year.

As you're obviously experienced I won't labour the point but - the internet activation is a one-time thing requiring an installation of Steam. You can then run it in offline mode and need not refer to it again unless you choose to.

I'll close this as such threads tend to turn into a battle between Steam fans and those who are less keen - but appreciate your views.

Cheers

Matt

Archived