Steam & Network Gaming

Hi!

I've never played an FM game on steam before, and I've also never played a Network game on FM (because of getting error messages despite following the tips on this site) Can anyone who has tell me if steam makes it easier to play network games on FM? I noticed you can add friends to Steam (similar to MSN) I'm obviously new to steam and am dying to get into a good network game and test myself against some proper managers! :)

Cheers!

James

As far as i'm aware, it's the same method it always has been. You enable Network play in the preferences, and then give your friends your IP address to connect to. If you are the host, you need to make sure you have the correct ports open and have your port forwarding allow connections through the internal IP of your computer, otherwise you will find nobody will be able to connect. Online play as far as i'm aware, isn't integrated into Steam.

The ports you need to open are 10094 & 10093 UDB and TCP.

You also need to check your computers internal IP. You router assigns IP's to every computer on your network. Your router may be 192.168.0.1 on the network (which you would type into your browser to access it's config page) and your computer may be assigned 192.168.0.2 - You can check this in FM when network game is active. Make sure when opening ports, you're assigning the ports to your computers internal IP.

Your nework IP may be different, so you're best checking out your router's manual for it if you don't already know it.

If you're stuck, you can use this page http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Football_Manager_2005/Football_Manager_2005index.htm select your router and it should give you a step by step guide.

Archived