Potential revenue stream for SI...

I've always enjoyed starting right at the very bottom of the managerial ladder and it was only recently in FM2011 that I found you could download unofficial databases that take you down even further through the league ladders.

These databases are great and the effort that goes into producing them is thoroughly appreciated but I can't help but thinking wouldn't it be even better if SI actually released official expansion packs with much more in depth ultra low league detail.

As the FM series is now linked to Steam making these downloads easier I'd happily pay a few extra quid to have an officially researched and compiled lower league expansion pack.

Has this ever been considered by the folks at SI?

SI would need to have the official licenses to do this. Plus they'd have to do it 'properly' and these type of leagues can be pretty difficult to research, given the lack of fans who would be willing to do the work and the turnover of players these clubs have.

Why pay for something that is available for free? The people creating these make them pretty near perfect as it is.

True.

I think though that the OP would like them available when the game is released.

The guys over at the Editors Forum do a sterling job but they can't begin inputting data until the data editor is released with the game. It usually takes until Jan or Feb before a comprehensive and bug free DB is released.

I would also pay for a lower league expansion but I suspect it would be a logistical nightmare for SI

I completely agree with you, but I think SI would be concerned about quality control. These aren't their official scouts compiling the information. Who's to say a few To Madeiras won't be thrown in? For myself I have great faith in uncle ron's English database down to Level 8 - genuinely thoroughly researched and seems to me impeccably accurate, but are the others as good? I suspect that for SI it works very nicely that fans create these extra leagues as they do graphics that SI don't have to be responsible for. From a business point of view, I suspect that the income SI might accrue from selling extra league databases would not cover the costs of making or testing them to ensure they pass a quality control threshold.

It may be a revenue stream, but I hate companies that do that. When you buy a game (hello EA) that has a few options, but you have to buy some of them as DLC after already paying full whack for the game itself, it drives me mad.

It's a real two handed grab at the customer IMO.

SI could never get the research done to the required quality, it's hard enough with the leagues already in the game.

Also the dedication of the people who do all the amazing extras for FM is part of what makes it so great, I'm pretty sure they'd resent it if SI suddenly made their sterling work redundant:)

Archived