A day out at SI

Many years ago (about 8 or 9 ) i suggested that si invited several fans of the game to see how the game was made and all the hard work and effort that went into producing the game.

It was very well received at the time,both on the forums and from si.

Unfortunately it never happened.

It would be a fantastic opportunity for a few fans of the game to meet people "behind the scenes" and to see what goes on.

Is there any chance of this happening?

Obviously i put my name down first!

Many years ago (about 8 or 9 ) i suggested that si invited several fans of the game to see how the game was made and all the hard work and effort that went into producing the game.

It was very well received at the time,both on the forums and from si.

Unfortunately it never happened.

It would be a fantastic opportunity for a few fans of the game to meet people "behind the scenes" and to see what goes on.

Is there any chance of this happening?

Obviously i put my name down first!

If you like wandering around looking at people with strange hair who've not slept properly for weeks and lived entirely on take-away food in that time then a day out to a games studio is just for you icon_smile.gif

At least that's what it's been like at any of the games companies I've worked. If it's not like that then you know they're not working hard enough icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

SECOND

Slightly irritating but I probably couldn't go anyway as i'm from Northern ireland. Not as irritating as seeing jobs in gaming offices available in London but not a single one over here icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How dare companies work in the capital of England and the biggest city in the UK where there is a bigger pool of talent then any other city in the UK! icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

SECOND

Slightly irritating but I probably couldn't go anyway as i'm from Northern ireland. Not as irritating as seeing jobs in gaming offices available in London but not a single one over here icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How dare companies work in the capital of England and the biggest city in the UK where there is a bigger pool of talent then any other city in the UK! icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ho ho ho, now that's hilarious icon_rolleyes.gif

I didn't question their reasoning, all I said was that it was irritating. The reasons are obvious and understandable, but thanks anyway for clearing it up in your own pathetic way. icon14.gif

Oh and BTW just to add to my previous point, it is irritating that I can't move to London to try and get a job like that but unfortunately my wife and I are carers for an ill family member. Despite the irritation I wouldn't change the way things are, but hey good one GillsMan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by macca69:

I think he may have been joking! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was being sarcastic rather than joking, sarcasm in it's very form is an attempt to belittle someone, which I think was un called for and pathetic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by macca69:

I think he may have been joking! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was being sarcastic rather than joking, sarcasm in it's very form is an attempt to belittle someone, which I think was un called for and pathetic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't trying to belittle you - sorry if it came across that way.

Apology accepted, although i'm sorry myself for over reacting and especially sorry for personalising it as I hate it when people do it and am actually quite ashamed that I did.

Having a bad day, apologies to Gills Man and others.

Apology accepted, although i'm sorry myself for over reacting and especially sorry for personalising it as I hate it when people do it and am actually quite ashamed that I did.

Having a bad day, apologies to Gills Man and others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need for an apology dude. It's one of the nuances of the Intaweb I suppose - tone is often lost and I can quite see how my post seemed belittling, rather than coming across as "joking" as intended.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree with Ter, can't see how it would be very interesting, and it might give those people who want to have the option to set ticket prices and build their own stadium and add hot dog stands the opportunity to hold Miles hostage until these ideas are included. Noooooooooooo! /o\

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ah, I'm sure they wouldn't invite me to come... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course they wouldn't. They probably know that you are a spy working for the opposition and they don't want you going back and telling them about the half a dozen major new features that are in FM2009. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

It's really not very interesting, unless you find a bunch of people sitting at computers interesting icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that's ruined my dream of a Si building full of people playing FM, smoking the finest cigars, drinking brandy out of the proper glasses and being straddled by beautiful brunettes.

Maybe working for FM isn't all I had it cracked up to be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Well that's ruined my dream of a Si building full of people playing FM, smoking the finest cigars, drinking brandy out of the proper glasses and being straddled by beautiful brunettes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what it is. They just dont want everyone to know icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

It's really not very interesting, unless you find a bunch of people sitting at computers interesting icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think it would be good though to have a bit of transparancy so that people understand about the development cycle.

what different people work on, what the working practises are.

i know where i work we are trying to get the rest of the company to understand that 'I.T' doesn't just mean sitting back doing nothing and every now and then pressing a few buttons to get something to work.

we can't go into too much detail because they wont understand but we have to give enough detail so as to not make themthink we're a bunch of slackers.

which we aren't by the way icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stdan27:

Come on, you must have some sort of magical fun slide, or a time machine knocking about. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oooh that's an image and a half.

seeing them all downing mice for lunch and a quick play on the magical slide of fun.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goodzorr_avfc:

Is SI anything like this?? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it looks like that episode of the simpsons where they go to that internet company place to buy shares.

or maybe that's what it was meant to be based on.

Archived