FM on a SSD - anyone running the game on one?

Is the game still RAM/CPU dependent anyway? I presume a SSD would make accessing saves and data faster, but wouldn't memory dictate how large a game you can run at the end of the day.

Just the view from a tech novice, but I would have thought the pros of a SSD would be nulled by the limitations of a machine elsewhere.

I like to think it would certainly make my saves faster though. I run a fair few leagues and it does get slow between matches. I doubt I'd be able to massively up the leagues I run though.

I don't know enough about SSD's at the minute, although friends and plenty of other folk I know swear by them.

I've got a decent set up and windows rates everything on my system as 7.8 apart from the HD which is 5.9, hence me spending some pocket money on a SSD.

As I've got an i7 2600k (overclocked to 4.5) and 8gb of G-Skill RAM, I can't see how I'd make FM 'do' much more in terms of loading leagues and speeding processing time up - SSD seemed the only reasonably cheap way of making my system more 'complete'.

Well, it arrives tomorrow and then FM12 is soon so we shall see....I'll run FM11 on it as a tester.

The only really noticable things that come to mind are much faster saving/loading, instant screen changes and perhaps faster match set-up times(I'm assuming it loads the required 3D assets while it's doing that)

The whole thing is much zippier. Loading and saving obviously takes no time at all, and if you're one of those people who has a few facepacks etc then you'll definitely see the benefit. FM obviously doesn't keep the whole game world in memory at once, and tiny files are what SSDs do best (or at least have the largest gains when compared to a mechanical).

I switched to using one just over a year go, at the recommendation of a friend who's a bit of an expert, though I'm not technical myself, my experience is that it's a lot faster (especially as I had the same big save to compare, before an after), or at least I can run a lot more at a similar speed, that remains consistent. I can't explain why (though my friend explained that it helps process data in some way, which FM does an awful lot of) as people often say that it should be mostly processor speed that determines game speed so the benefits (like loading) should be limited, but that's definitely my experience, even if it doesn't tally with the theory of people who have a bit more expertise on computer matters. Plus my laptop itself is very fast and smooth now, that for once running FM doesn't slow anything else down, and I can switch between all sorts of things instantly, starting up takes a few seconds instead of a couple of minutes, and there's little waiting for it to do anything now.

All an SSD will do is improve loading, write and access times to your hard stored data... which includes obviously the database. Saving/loading times will be increased, and so will any queries to the database. The day to day processing of the game and the amount of leagues you run will be the same whether you have an SSD or not, as processing times and amounts of leagues available to be processed are dependant on the speed of your processor and the amount of RAM available.

I'm running on an SSD on a MacBook Air (i5). Processor IMO is the most noticable difference for Football Manager, but the SSD does impact it too. Saving, loading, switching screens, all much quicker.

Not only that, your PC will boot up faster everything will launch faster, meaning you can be up and running in FM in about half the time.

Anyway, I recommend a SSD over all other components for upgrading your PC. Saving/loading/opening/closing is what we spend half of our time doing. Also copying files, unzipping things, all will be notably quicker. So whilst you won't see all the benefits in FM, you'll see great benefits overall.

I would also like to point out that buying any old SSD doesn't automatically mean it's going to be faster. With regards to SSD's, the more you spend, the better the performance will be. Buying an el cheapo SSD and expecting "good" performance will leave you dissapointed.

True. But buying an expensive one doesn't necessarily mean much either.

Crucial M4 & Intel 320 are generally regarded as better SSD's, this generation.

Same here. Have been using an SSD with FM11 and there is no difference whatsoever, except for saving and loading a game. Without save-game compression, it takes just a few second to save my game, which is lovely (and I do it a lot), but otherwise, no difference.

Archived