My First Ever Shirt Retirement, Wanted to Share

AnthonyHeathNews_Inbox.png

To be honest I didnt even know this existed, but very happy with it!

Thats brilliant! Typically understated though.....hope this is better in FM12. Should have stats/acheivements etc. incorporated.

Nice touch though, all the same!

:)

I wasn't meant to make you chuckle lol, i was being serious... Hes a real top player, but only someone on Messi's level or something like that could ever be worthy of that.

oh, its just that it was so ridiculous that i thought it had to be a joke. Im not saying he should have a shirt retired but to say he isnt worthy is a bit silly to me. If Maldini was worthy of it for Milan Xavi surely is for Barca.

Im obviously biased though

oh, its just that it was so ridiculous that i thought it had to be a joke. Im not saying he should have a shirt retired but to say he isnt worthy is a bit silly to me. If Maldini was worthy of it for Milan Xavi surely is for Barca.

Biased or not, you are correct (in my humble opinion). There have been few better centre midfielders, ever!

Unless it was someone real special, then i probably wouldnt do this. Xavi is good but hes not worthy of getting a shirt retired :p

Are you for real? Xavi is the best midfielder on this planet bar none and arguably in the top 10 best players of all time. I'm not one of these Barcelona bum boys but Xavi is different class.

actually they do mate, just cause it was pointed out doesnt make it true.

Daniel Jarque was retired after his tragic death, yes its a much difference circumstance but it can still be done.

I was also going from the case of Antonio Puerta;

The shirt [no.16] has not been fully retired. It was temporarily retired after Puerta died of a cardiac arrest on the first matchday in La Liga 2007–2008 However, the Spanish Football Federation rules state that clubs must use number 1 to 25 for their regular squad, and as a result, David Prieto wore the number in 2008 in honour of his friend.

José Campaña now wears the no.16 shirt at Sevilla. Basically, Espanyol just don't use the number 21, but it is not officially retired by the league.

Biased or not, you are correct (in my humble opinion). There have been few better centre midfielders, ever!
Are you for real? Xavi is the best midfielder on this planet bar none and arguably in the top 10 best players of all time. I'm not one of these Barcelona bum boys but Xavi is different class.

I'm just saying on a realistic level, he's not the best PLAYER in the world, therefore I don't think he's worthy, everyones entitled to their own opinion and this is mine, just as you are entitled. But to then go laugh at someones opinion and call it rediculous is pretty childish IMO.

If you stop and think for a second about the fact that over the next 100 years, we are going to see at least 10 people as good as XAVI at Barcelona if they continue as they are, does that mean Barcelona should retire a shirt every time? That is the whole reason behind my So-called rediculous comment.

And just to make clear, I never said Xavi was rubbish and is not 1 of the best, I just said he's not worthy and isn't the best.

Xavi's work is certainly underrated. I think whenever he retires, Barcelona will have to go through a revision of its entire model of play.

part of the other problem is people have only really started of hearing of him in the last 2-3 years since Barca/Spain have been dominating. I know people that think we signed him etc and asked where he signed from, not knowing that he has made almost 400 appearances so far and has been with us since he was 11!

I'm just saying on a realistic level, he's not the best PLAYER in the world, therefore I don't think he's worthy, everyones entitled to their own opinion and this is mine, just as you are entitled. But to then go laugh at someones opinion and call it rediculous is pretty childish IMO.

If you stop and think for a second about the fact that over the next 100 years, we are going to see at least 10 people as good as XAVI at Barcelona if they continue as they are, does that mean Barcelona should retire a shirt every time? That is the whole reason behind my So-called rediculous comment.

And just to make clear, I never said Xavi was rubbish and is not 1 of the best, I just said he's not worthy and isn't the best.

10 people as good as Xavi over the next 100 years? Name 10 people as good as Xavi over the past 100 years and then maybe your comment won't look as so-called ridiculous...

Xavi is probably in the top 10 greatest players of all time. To deny him a shirt retirement because he isn't the best ever seems a little like you're misunderstanding the situation. He's up there with other recipients of shirt retirements like Riva and Maradona at least.

my apologies, i didnt want to offend, I just think that you really dont rate Xavi anywhere near as good as he is, are you able to name me a better CM in the game at the moment?

10 people as good as Xavi over the next 100 years? Name 10 people as good as Xavi over the past 100 years and then maybe your comment won't look as so-called ridiculous...

It's pretty easy to name 10 players as good as Xavi over the past 100 years actually.

Maybe you should read through my entire comment and understand it before you comment back :)

I read the question perfectly. You think the way Barcelona are going they'll be able to produce another 10 Xavi's over the next 100 years. I've asked you to name 10 players better than Xavi over the past 100 years (not exclusive to Barcelona)...

I read the question perfectly. You think the way Barcelona are going they'll be able to produce another 10 Xavi's over the next 100 years. I've asked you to name 10 players better than Xavi over the past 100 years (not exclusive to Barcelona)...

How does this have anything to do with my comment?

i think what he is saying is that you sound as if players like Xavi are sort of common and are produced regularly by Barca, but he is asking you to name the players from the past to back your point up. I think to then ask why the academy has all of a sudden changed now since xavi came though, and why there hasnt been 10 in the past.

regardless, as you said it is your opinion and you are more than entitled to it

my apologies, i didnt want to offend, I just think that you really dont rate Xavi anywhere near as good as he is, are you able to name me a better CM in the game at the moment?

You misunderstand my comment, its not about who is the better CM, my point is about restriction on the amount of shirt numbers that could ever be retired. The way Barcelona are going they will re-create a Xavi type player within the next 10 years. Should he also get a shirt retired?

i think what he is saying is that you sound as if players like Xavi are sort of common and are produced regularly by Barca, but he is asking you to name the players from the past to back your point up. I think to then ask why the academy has all of a sudden changed now since xavi came though, and why there hasnt been 10 in the past.

regardless, as you said it is your opinion and you are more than entitled to it

I think i've worded my comment wrong then if this is the impression, i'm talking about future of Barcelona after recent players they've brought through.

My whole point is, shouldn't Messi and Puyol and other players get the same? If so, this would leave Barcelona with few numbers eventually.

Because you're saying you don't think Xavi is the best or worthy of such an accolade and I'm curious to know who you think is? Ronaldo (not Cristiano), Lionel Messi and Zinedine Zidane are the only three players I would conisder to be "better" than Xavi over the last 20/25 years and even then it's hardly relevant as, with perhaps the exception of Zidane, they play completely different roles in their respective teams.

Because you're saying you don't think Xavi is the best or worthy of such an accolade and I'm curious to know who you think is? Ronaldo (not Cristiano), Lionel Messi and Zinedine Zidane are the only three players I would conisder to be "better" than Xavi over the last 20/25 years and even then it's hardly relevant as, with perhaps the exception of Zidane, they play completely different roles in their respective teams.

You dont understand how much i agree with you.

I think i've worded my comment wrong then if this is the impression, i'm talking about future of Barcelona after recent players they've brought through.

My whole point is, shouldn't Messi and Puyol and other players get the same? If so, this would leave Barcelona with few numbers eventually.

cant really comment on messi as he is only really at the start of his career.

I think Puyol would be worthy of it, IRL. I know what you are saying and you are correct, it just sort of sounded quite a bit like you were saying that someone like Xavi comes along quite often

Xavi did make over 600 appearences for my fm team :)

I think your all misunderstanding the true sentiment behind retiring shirt numbers. It's not an award, your not saying here you go Xavi, you were one of the best in the world have a shirt number. It's a method of giving thanks and ensuring that the number remains special for the club, fans and players. You certainly don't have to be the best, by that logic no one outside of the Barcelonas, the Madrids, the Milans etc would ever be able to retire numbers. More often than not you'll see a number retired because a player was loyal, played every single game with heart, had an amazing relationship with the fans and in general just loved the club.

I think your all misunderstanding the true sentiment behind retiring shirt numbers. It's not an award, your not saying here you go Xavi, you were one of the best in the world have a shirt number. It's a method of giving thanks and ensuring that the number remains special for the club, fans and players. You certainly don't have to be the best, by that logic no one outside of the Barcelonas, the Madrids, the Milans etc would ever be able to retire numbers. More often than not you'll see a number retired because a player was loyal, played every single game with heart, had an amazing relationship with the fans and in general just loved the club.

100% spot on

At this moment in time, only Zidane or Ronaldo and if i'm being forced into the past, then i would say Marradona. I'm still unsure on Zidane and Ronaldo even. I was saying this for a reason as i've talked about above and i stand by what i say, i'm not discrediting Xavi because he's an awesome player, but i think it needs some extremely special, thats all. Xavi is a special talent, but so is Messi, so was Ronaldo, so was Kaka, Scholes, Giggs, Gerrard, C.Ronaldo, Puyol, Casillas, Buffon, Schmeichael (spelling?), Van Der Sar?...

I hope you understand my meaning and those players are only a few to point out, their are so many more.

cant really comment on messi as he is only really at the start of his career.

I think Puyol would be worthy of it, IRL. I know what you are saying and you are correct, it just sort of sounded quite a bit like you were saying that someone like Xavi comes along quite often

Xavi did make over 600 appearences for my fm team :)

Agreed on Messi.

Do you see where i'm coming from now though, as Puyol is just as worthy if we say they are worthy, but IMO I feel that you have to be a level above these 2, which would take something special to do. Then I feel they would be worthy. Thats all i'm saying.

Anyway, the world would be boring if people didn't think differently, so maybe its good that people disagree with what i say, but it's just nice to have people respect others oppinions thats all, and some people on these forums just dont have that type of respect (that isn't aimed at you btw).

On the subject of shirt numbers, retiring them for legendary players is a nice touch but I'd like to see more made of significant numbers at respective clubs (eg. the number '9' shirt and Newcastle and the number '7' shirt at Man Utd). As a Toon fan I'd love to interact with the media regarding who will be the next number '9' and then fan feedback from whether or not they approve and the player's ability to deal with the pressure that comes with wearing that number etc... You can go quite far with it.

I suppose it's a question of whether or not enough clubs have such a significant number to justify including it in the game.

Even though the likes of Zidane, Maradona, were probably better than Xavi, I dont think any club would want to retire a shirt number for them.. Retiring a number would mean, that said player must be one of the greats of the game, as well as immensely loyal, as in played for one club all his life.. You put that clause in for retiring a shirt, and I dont think you would find many contenders in the last 100 years.. I'm thinking Scholes maybe, but Man Utd didnt retire his number.. maybe Maldini for Milan, di Stefano for Madrid.. you get the idea ..

On the subject of shirt numbers, retiring them for legendary players is a nice touch but I'd like to see more made of significant numbers at respective clubs (eg. the number '9' shirt and Newcastle and the number '7' shirt at Man Utd). As a Toon fan I'd love to interact with the media regarding who will be the next number '9' and then fan feedback from whether or not they approve and the player's ability to deal with the pressure that comes with wearing that number etc... You can go quite far with it.

I suppose it's a question of whether or not enough clubs have such a significant number to justify including it in the game.

After all the arguing, you make sense, this is exactly my take on things, and would also be a nice feature. People shouldnt be rewarded with shirt retirements unless they are extremely special, and therefore, I would rather see what you have suggested instead, as this happens IRL.

Even though the likes of Zidane, Maradona, were probably better than Xavi, I dont think any club would want to retire a shirt number for them.. Retiring a number would mean, that said player must be one of the greats of the game, as well as immensely loyal, as in played for one club all his life.. You put that clause in for retiring a shirt, and I dont think you would find many contenders in the last 100 years.. I'm thinking Scholes maybe, but Man Utd didnt retire his number.. maybe Maldini for Milan, di Stefano for Madrid.. you get the idea ..

Someone who thinks the same way as me :D Finally!

After all the arguing, you make sense, this is exactly my take on things, and would also be a nice feature. People shouldnt be rewarded with shirt retirements unless they are extremely special, and therefore, I would rather see what you have suggested instead, as this happens IRL.

Mate, let's not use the word 'arguing', it sounds obnoxious and infantile (not the word itself, just the idea of 'arguing'). I like to think of it as a (heated?) debate. Not even that heated. I think people should be able to disagree and make contrasting points without it getting bitchy and nasty even if they don't put 'LOL' or a smiley face on the end. lol :)

Mate, let's not use the word 'arguing', it sounds obnoxious and infantile (not the word itself, just the idea of 'arguing'). I like to think of it as a (heated?) debate. Not even that heated. I think people should be able to disagree and make contrasting points without it getting bitchy and nasty even if they don't put 'LOL' or a smiley face on the end. lol :)

Ok, Heated Debate then, I have no problems using that word. My point is, you didn't even attempt to understand my comment before you had a "Contrasting Point" to make? Just to make sure i wasn't going insane, I asked a friend to read my first comments to see if he understood them to the same meaning as what i was trying to explain to you, and he had no problem in understanding them.

Your just a dirty cheating magpie!! Let me get my shotgun :D

Ok, Heated Debate then, I have no problems using that word. My point is, you didn't even attempt to understand my comment before you had a "Contrasting Point" to make? Just to make sure i wasn't going insane, I asked a friend to read my first comments to see if he understood them to the same meaning as what i was trying to explain to you, and he had no problem in understanding them.

I completely understood the point you were making regarding the thread topic, I was just picking you up on your apparent underrating of Xavi. I think you were too pre-occupied with thinking you were being hated on to realise the discussion had evolved from the original point. It's all cool.

I'm still waiting on the list of better players than Xavi which was mentioned as easy to find.

Been reading this and can't help but laugh. Since Spain won the World Cup all you hear from some people is "not as good", "better players around" and stuff like that. If England had won the World Cup you would hear non stop raving about fantastic, best players ever. Let's be honest, Xavi is a great player and is going to be on the list of 20 greatest players of all time. Those who say Messi is better forget that for Argentina there is no Xavi and Messi does well, nothing.

Fact is, its easier for an English guy to like a foreigner before he'll like a Spaniard which is insane as the foreign guy in question is Argentinian. Then again I blame a bad educational system for all this. In England you are taught to dislike everyone except the English. In fact everyone else is always the enemy. Reality check, it's 2011, soon to be 2012. There is no more enemies in that historical context within European nations.

Now back to football topic. Who's better than Xavi? Carrick, Gerrard, Lampard? I don't think so but I'm sure those names will likely come to some ppl's minds.

Imo, Iniesta is better :)

Archived