2 up front - best player roles?

I like to play with two up front.

Is there a consensus on what the best combination is generally speaking?

I had a lot of success with 1 poacher and 1 advanced playmaker.

Then tried 2 complete forwards, 1 attack, 1 support and that seemed equally good.

Does it even make a difference or does it just about getting the best strikers you can??

We are now even told what the best role is for each player, perhaps we should be following this slavishly??

i.e we are told Dzeko is best utilized as a target man set to attack, Tevez is a Trequartista set to attack and Ballotelli is a poacher set to attack.

Should we heed this advice??

Any thoughts anyone??

ive always prefered a "big man/little man" partnership upfront so a target man on attack and a poacher is the norm for me!

I like doing that too when I'm managing in the lower leagues. When I'm in the Premier League or any other top league where the players are more technically gifted I tend to play a Trequartista quite a lot of the time.

I also always set up my teams with a Poacher (attack) and a Deep Lying Forward/Target Man (support) up front. I change the DLF to a Complete Forward (support) once I get players good enough.

I think the reason why DLF and Target Man both work well in the support role is because both have "hold up ball" selected by default. So the basic idea is I have one support striker who holds up the ball and brings others in to play/acts as the link between attack and midfield, and one all out attack striker whos only job is to get on the end of chances and score goals.

Archived