FM Legends

So i see CM did this, so why don' we try? Maybe to make it better we can make players from next era appear late in the game (like regen, example: the game start in 19xx, there's no voller, but when we're on 1990, we'll have voller), what do you guys think? (if i'm posting this at wrong place, please move it)

• SI Staff

It's far too much work for very little benefit (number of people who would actually play it is not very high) as well as problems with competition structures changing each year in multiple countries and the licensing minefield.

I like the way we get regens now, you never know who the next legend will be. It would be boring if we knew which players would become legends.

Sometime bad players was actually a player with high potential, but they become bad because they're at a bad club

Ok so you want legends to appear as regens late in the game. In name only or stats to match. You then say when we are in 1990 there is no Voller. You Sam Beckett, anyway im off for a drive in my Delorean :)

If that's what he wants, that's exactly what the old regen system was in the first FMs. Giggs would retire, then a regen with his potential, same nationality, same position would appear. It was a joke and they rightly got rid of it.

Sometime bad players was actually a player with high potential, but they become bad because they're at a bad club

So you want the likes of Voller and Maradona to come in as 15 year olds with the potential to be great, but not always to make it unless they have the right nurturing?

In that case, what's the point in them being Voller and Maradona if they don't turn out like them? Everybody would complain that they signed Maradona but he turned out to be about as good as Luke Chadwick.

If that's what he wants, that's exactly what the old regen system was in the first FMs. Giggs would retire, then a regen with his potential, same nationality, same position would appear. It was a joke and they rightly got rid of it.

How does it happen now then? I thought this was the way it still worked as Man Utd (in my game) got a MC/AMC regen who was pretty good, and I thought this was the Paul Scholes regen (came through in Aug 2012) and again with AMC/ST (came out in 2022 ish {have holidayed through to 2035}) which I would presume is Wayne Rooney... (again at Man Utd)

Maybe it's coincidence/luck but would be nice to know how there are incorporated into the game now then...

How does it happen now then? I thought this was the way it still worked as Man Utd (in my game) got a MC/AMC regen who was pretty good, and I thought this was the Paul Scholes regen (came through in Aug 2012) and again with AMC/ST (came out in 2022 ish {have holidayed through to 2035}) which I would presume is Wayne Rooney... (again at Man Utd)

Maybe it's coincidence/luck but would be nice to know how there are incorporated into the game now then...

They're called newgens now rather than regens to reflect the fact that their ca, pa, nationalities etc are to a large extent random (with attributes having nationally recognisable traits, high flair and creativity for Brazilians etc). Any similarities between a newgen and a former real player at any club will be a coincidence.

They're called newgens now rather than regens to reflect the fact that their ca, pa, nationalities etc are to a large extent random (with attributes having nationally recognisable traits, high flair and creativity for Brazilians etc). Any similarities between a newgen and a former real player at any club will be a coincidence.

Ahhh i see, so lets say Ryan Giggs retires (obviously a Welsh, left sided player, lets say a ML) in 2012, a "newgen" will appear (anywhere in the game or from his previous club) and be a similar type of player to Ryan, as being a ML, and a similar PA but have none of the "personal" traits (Welsh, etc) Or have i completely missed the point? :)

Ahhh i see, so lets say Ryan Giggs retires (obviously a Welsh, left sided player, lets say a ML) in 2012, a "newgen" will appear (anywhere in the game or from his previous club) and be a similar type of player to Ryan, as being a ML, and a similar PA but have none of the "personal" traits (Welsh, etc) Or have i completely missed the point? :)

None of the players that retire in the game get a replacement newgen that is specifically meant to replicate anything of the retired players now. Newgens as far as I know only have certain attribute traits that are influenced by the position they play in and their nationalities, there may be other criteria that are involved but nationality and player position are the only 2 specifics I know of off the top of my head.

When for example Giggs retires a newgen that is a winger will gain the attribute traits designated for a young player from Wales and for a winger, if by coincidence he is also randomly assigned a pa that is similar to Giggs, then with training and playing time at a high level it's reasonable to assume he may end up looking very much like a direct replacement for Giggs but it is just the attributes template, same nationality and playing position that makes it appear as if the newgen is a copy of Giggs.

The impression of the newgen being a direct replacement would of course further be enhanced if he was to come through the youth academy of Manchester United.

You can control regens to some extent, by using a future regen.edt file.

"FUTURE_REGEN" "First Name" "Common Name" "Surname" "DD.MM.YYYY" "Nation" "Favourite Team"

"FUTURE_REGEN" "Ricardo" "Coco" "Oliviera" "18.03.1994" "Brazil"" "Rangers"

Therefore you can already do this so it isn't necessary.

Archived