Quick question on reserve teams...

Please don't flame me, but I couldn't see a search threads option.

I just got a non-league side up the English leagues (just fluked promotion to the Prem lol) and our reserves are still in a rubbish league? Does that ever upgrade? I only conceeded 5 goals or something ridiculous last season and we're still in with Ebbsfleet and other non-leaguers and the like. It really isn't testing my youngsters any more at all and I use, or have been using, the reserves a lot for development for many iterations of the game.

If you drop out for a season and rejoin does it reset?

Can you even rejoin once you've left?

I think the OP was asking why his reserve team is in the wrong league.

Yeah that was the gist of it. I've been getting the invitation every year to renew and have been accepting, but end up in the same league I was in whilst in non-league. I thought of maybe leaving the reserves to play friendlies for a year and seeing if I got the invitation the following year. I just expected them to get promoted to a better league along with the seniors. I'm sure that has happened before.

I wasn't going to have a full-on club holiday LOL. Mind you the seniors will be getting thumped week in and week out all season this year so it wouldn't make that much difference! Darn board won't expand the stadium, the scoundrels!

I was just about to start the season you see and thought I'd ask advice.

ive had the same problem, it is an issue that should be sorted by FM but has not. i think because its the reserves alot of people dont care but i do, as do you i see

can someone from SI shed light on this issue

Yeah that would be good, especially in terms of 2012.

In the end I plumped for "accept invitation" and finally got moved (to the Prem reserves league)!

Until then I was still in what was effectively a non-league reserves setup and it wasn't great for a Championship club.

I've always found having and managing a reserves side is a must for my small teams trying to develop up. Lots of higher league reject kids on a punt and short term contracts for young free agents to shift out the good ones... kissing frogs I suppose. It's much harder to see what they are made of against dross.

Mind you the odd time I have managed "bigger clubs" I have also used the reserves a lot in a similar manner, but then of course I suppose they wouldn't suffer the same problem.

I'm absolutely positive that older versions used to promote the reserves into better leagues, certainly once in the league proper.

Any thoughts from SIgames?

Cheers

Archived