Fm12

Is it better to download fm12 from steam or buy the booked version? My laptop is two years old so im worried it doesnt have long left. If i buy a new laptop in 6 months time will i have to pay for the game again from steam? also if i get the game from steam will it start downloading at 12 on the 21st automaticly or will i have to start the download myself? Thanks for your help

I don't think it matters what version you have based on laptop age but:

1. Boxed version installs of the DVD and then is validated on Steam

2. Steam version is downloaded via Steam so may take some time and may use up your ISP download limits if you have these

I think these need to be your considerations

You have to be logged on to the net for stream don't you? What happens if you're not? I play a lot on a boat with no internet, ditto train and my folks house with no mobile internet. That's a bit poor. Saves me a few quid though and I can stick with Dover in the Premiership!

You have to be logged on to the net for stream don't you? What happens if you're not? I play a lot on a boat with no internet, ditto train and my folks house with no mobile internet. That's a bit poor. Saves me a few quid though and I can stick with Dover in the Premiership!

You only need to be online for activation and for patches to download, just stick steam into offline mode and you should be able to play without internet.

Ahhhh okay cheers. I thought somebody said (in a closed thread on the index there) that they'd done away with the DVD. So Stream downloads a one-off code to an individual PC or something I guess??

I'll have to start the long slog from the blue square again then LOL.

I would in all honesty go with Steam if you're not bothered about collecting boxes.

Just create a steam account, download the steam program and find FM in the store. Once you buy it it's forever in your Steam library so even if you buy a new PC you'll still own the game. I have about 50 games in my steam library and it's a really convenient thing to have, especially if you jump from computer to computer every day like me.

The other cool feature is that steam will allow you to pre-install the game a couple of days before it comes out. They do this to avoid server overloads when a game is released. So on release day at midnight all you'll have to do is click 'play'. No waiting for the install :D

Then when it comes to patches you have the option to manually download the patch via a link that SI will give us, or you can simply turn on steam and it will automatically patch the game for you.

One of my main gripes with buying the boxed version was having to have the CD inserted to start the application each time.

With the online activation this thime around, will this still be the case?

If you activated FM through steam in the past, you could play the game without the CD.

I would in all honesty go with Steam if you're not bothered about collecting boxes.

Just create a steam account, download the steam program and find FM in the store. Once you buy it it's forever in your Steam library so even if you buy a new PC you'll still own the game. I have about 50 games in my steam library and it's a really convenient thing to have, especially if you jump from computer to computer every day like me.

The other cool feature is that steam will allow you to pre-install the game a couple of days before it comes out. They do this to avoid server overloads when a game is released. So on release day at midnight all you'll have to do is click 'play'. No waiting for the install :D

Then when it comes to patches you have the option to manually download the patch via a link that SI will give us, or you can simply turn on steam and it will automatically patch the game for you.

So is it a cloud server 'thing'? Or a download to PC thing? If so how does the offline mode work?

So is it a cloud server 'thing'? Or a download to PC thing? If so how does the offline mode work?

You download the game. Click go offline mode after its fully patched.

If you want to patch it you click go online and it will auto patch.

Download to PC thing, then you make sure the steam client is upto date and just switch it to offline mode.

But one thing, steam needs to be fully upto date for offline to work. So lets say, after a month you switch steam back online (perhaps to check for a new patch) ; there will most likely have been a steam client update, so make sure you check for and install the latest update before trying to switch it back to offline mode

So just to confirm...if i buy a new laptop (which i'm going to have to, game is way too slow on my present, very **** one), the game will not be locked as i registered it on my old laptop, right? I'll be gigantically miffed if i have to buy the game twice within a week!

Correct - as long as you remember the account details to log into Steam, you'll be able to play the game on your new PC.

Archived