European qualification

Perhaps Marc can throw some light on this. After being runners up in the SPL we had a play-off game to get into the group stages of the European Champions League, which we won. The next three years saw consecutive SPL titles, and each of the following years Peterhead were drawn in the group stages of the European Champions League. In these four years we got knocked out of the groups in the first two, then qualified for the knockout phase in the next two, but went out in the first round.

But here's the strange thing. After a fourth consecutive SPL title, by record margins, we were handed a tie in the 3rd qualifying round of the CL. Not even the playoff round that comes after that and before the group stage, but the 3rd qualifying round. We got Benfica and lost by one goal, thanks to a key injury at the wrong time. We then had to play a qualifying round for the Euro Cup, rather than go into it directly, and lost again in shocking fashion to a bunch of Dutch clog-makers. After a fifth consecutive title win, we were drawn back in the CL group stage again. So, the question is why were we drawn in the 3rd qualifying round the year before?

Unfortunately not, I was playing while away on a long weekend break, hence the subsequent SPL title the next year. I was hoping you were going to quote some obscure European rule about teams from god-forsaken places. The injustice did fire the team up though. They went P38, W34, D4, L0 as a result.

The only thing I can think of is that the year before the draw (ie when gaining qualification) we won the domestic treble. We've done the league and cup double four years on the trot, but that qualifying year included the league cup as well. However, there were three different runners-up: Celtic, Dunfermline and Rangers.

Archived