'Key' highlights

Please please please can you guys sort this. I'm sick of (as in previous versions) being told by the ME that a player running down the wing, having a cross blocked, getting a corner which comes to nothing, is deemed as a key highlight. It isn't. It just isn't. How hard can it be to get that right? Why build up hope as the man runs down the wing that he's going to put a great cross in and you're maybe going to score, when all it shows is the cross being blocked and nothing coming from the corner. It's so irritating. It's not 'key' at all. Please sort it, because I really am sick of it. It's doubly annoying, because as in previous versions, it carries on showing the highlights even for example when the corner is cleared, and doesn't stop until the ball goes out of play. As soon as any 'key' incident has finished, the game should then stop showing it, and move the time along, rather than showing me a minute or 2 of complete nothingness.

No, it isn't a key highlight. Do you know why? Because nothing happens. Ooooooo a man running down the wing, that's really a key highlight, so key that it even shows it when his cross is blocked and it goes for a corner. That's not key at all. Neither is the following corner which generally doesn't lead to anything. A corner is a key highlight if something happens. A cross is a key highlight if something happens. When nothing happens, it's not key. To say the corner in that sequence of events is the key highlight is wrong, because nothing ever comes from it, not even a hint of a chance, it just generally gets headed clear in that situation. It's no good saying it's a key highlight because you have no idea if a goal will be scored or not, because you could just say the whole game is a key highlight, because you don't know if a goal will be scored or not. It's not a key highlight. It just isn't.

Roflol.. thats pretty much what highlights are.. *shakes head at op*

There's a difference between highlights, and key highlights. Not all shots (even shots that are on target) get shown in key highlights, yet a man running, having a cross blocked, and a corner being cleared is?

I don't think some of you understand. I'm NOT saying that every key highlight has to lead to a goal. That's obvious when we see some shots saved, hitting the bar, etc. My point, which I think most of you are missing, despite me explaining it, is that a man running down the wing, having a cross blocked, and showing a corner that leads to a simple headed clearance is NOT a key highlight in any way shape or form. Does every key highlight have to lead to a goal? No. I haven't said it does.

Sorry, but showing a cross being blocked and a corner being headed clear is not a key highlight. No matter which way you try to dress it up, it isn't a key highlight. Also bear in mind not all corners get shown, so really the whole 'the corner is the key highlight' argument falls flat when you remember that. Not all shots (let alone all that are on target) get shown, but you'd say a shot on target is more of a key highlight than a man running down the wing, having his cross blocked, and the resulting corner being easily headed clear.

It's a key highlight for the manager, so you can see that crosses are being blocked and adjust tactics accordingly. You're supposed to be managing a football team, not watching Match of the Day.
:applause:

It's a key highlight for the manager, so you can see that crosses are being blocked and adjust tactics accordingly. You're supposed to be managing a football team, not watching Match of the Day.

This! Bravo sir, well said! :applause:

When I keep watching my players shoot from 40m out, I'm not thinking: "Wow, It's really lame that I have to watch this..."! It's a sign that my players are idiots that need to be told not to shoot from long distance, and take away their creative freedom! LONG LIVE KEY HIGHLIGHTS! ;)

Sorry to piggy-back on this thread, but it fits the theme: can all the ball throwing and standing around during set pieces be cut?

The preparation leading up to the corners, with the ball being thrown back and forth and the corner taker ending up collecting it from inside the penalty area takes up more time than the rest of the highlight. Similar situation with free kicks and gk resuming play.

I choose key highlights to speed up the game when my tactics are working right, but this slows it down considerably and adds very little to the experience.

I've got to agree with Stevvy here, it's not a key highlight. Not every chance is a key highlight. A corner that ends in a point blank header being missed is definately a key highlight, however a corner not clearing the first man for example, is definately not. Those incidents belong in the extended highlights. It's also not anyone's business to tell him he's managing a team and not watching MOTD. He's playing a game and choosing to watch only key highlights, which incidentally is exactly what MOTD shows.

Ask any football fan what he considers are key moments in a match. Goals, significant goalscoring opportunities, cards and injuries would be the common answers. Cleared corners or blocked free kicks simply aren't key.

Just because a player has not scored a goal does not mean its not a key highlight, as a manager of the club you want to see that your defender has a made a clear mistake and gifted the opposition a key chance, it lets you know in what areas your team need improving... just because they have not scored from it does not mean it was not key.

If one of my strikers gets into a one on one with the keeper and he shoots wide, in my opinion he should be scoring this and just because he missed does not take away from the fact that this was a CHANCE to take the lead or pull level etc... seeing this highlight lets me know i need to either make a sub or try to improve him or even sign a replacement.

Just having key highlights as goals would be poor in my opinion.

For crying out loud, I really don't think some of you have even read any of my posts properly. At NO point have I said only goals should be shown in the 'key highlights' bit. I've made that VERY clear. I'm saying that a cross being blocked and the resulting corner being headed clear easily is NOT a key highlight. Chances ARE key highlights. A man running down the wing, having a cross blocked, and the resulting corner being cleared is NOT a key highlight. Please, read what I put, because as I said, I've made it VERY clear that at NO point have I said that only goals should be shown when viewing key highlights.

I don't think you use key highlights much milnerpoint. If you did, then you'd be thinking "why doesn't it show all chances, especially all that are on target, yet it shows a man running down a wing, having a cross blocked, and nothing coming from the corner because it's easily headed clear". Also bear in mind it doesn't show every corner in the game on key hgihlights, so again, your point really isn't relevant in that respect. Any sort of missed chances (be it half chance, off target, on target) could theoretically constitute a key highlight. However, as I said, a man running down a wing, having a cross blocked and the resulting corner being easily headed clear is not a chance, and it's not a key highlight.

You have to remember that the game is not replaying key highlights from a match that has already been played out, in which case your point would be valid that the player running down the wing would not be key. But what you are watching is a game playing out as you are watching it so you will be shown percieved key events within the game such as a winger storming down the wing which could lead to a chance. The match engine cant predict that the corner will be headed clear before it happens so it must show it as a key highlight in case something DOES happen.

So what kinds of missed chances constitute a key highlight? If a corner is not a major action sequence, what is?

Read my earlier post. A corner resulting in a near miss would be a key highlight, a corner that's easily headed away isn't. You often get over a dozen corners in a game, split between the two teams, plus a number of free kicks in the opposition's half. Some of these end in chances, most of them are dealt with before they can pose any serious threat. How can the latter ever be considered "key"? The word key completely loses its value in that case.

Sorry to piggy-back on this thread, but it fits the theme: can all the ball throwing and standing around during set pieces be cut?

The preparation leading up to the corners, with the ball being thrown back and forth and the corner taker ending up collecting it from inside the penalty area takes up more time than the rest of the highlight. Similar situation with free kicks and gk resuming play.

I choose key highlights to speed up the game when my tactics are working right, but this slows it down considerably and adds very little to the experience.

agree with this 100%. i watch key highlights on 1 notch from full speed. sometimes it can take 20-30 secs of real time for the corner taker to recieve the ball. why should i wait and watch all this messing around?

You have to remember that the game is not replaying key highlights from a match that has already been played out, in which case your point would be valid that the player running down the wing would not be key. But what you are watching is a game playing out as you are watching it so you will be shown percieved key events within the game such as a winger storming down the wing which could lead to a chance. The match engine cant predict that the corner will be headed clear before it happens so it must show it as a key highlight in case something DOES happen.

You're actually wrong. When you view a highlight, the game has already simulated it entirely. In fact, as long as you don't change anything in a game (subs, tactics, etc.), the ENTIRE match is already simulated. FM DOES really know when a corner will be headed clear, because as soon as it appears on your screen, it's already played out and you can't change it anymore.

I don't think you use key highlights much milnerpoint. If you did, then you'd be thinking "why doesn't it show all chances, especially all that are on target, yet it shows a man running down a wing, having a cross blocked, and nothing coming from the corner because it's easily headed clear". Also bear in mind it doesn't show every corner in the game on key hgihlights, so again, your point really isn't relevant in that respect. Any sort of missed chances (be it half chance, off target, on target) could theoretically constitute a key highlight. However, as I said, a man running down a wing, having a cross blocked and the resulting corner being easily headed clear is not a chance, and it's not a key highlight.

I use it for every game except the big games. The cross and the corner are both chances just because they do not come to goal does not mean they are not chances. The ball in from the cross could be deemed as a half chance, the resulting corner the same. But remember your not watching match of day where they go through the entire game and pick out the best parts, FM tries to delver the highlights in a real time way, so the game is happening as you watch, not an edited TV version.

Yet milnerpoint, you fail to respond to my comment about not all corners being shown, and not all chances (including all on target chances) being shown, so I'm sorry, the whole 'the cross and corner are both chances' thing doesn't wash with me. If they're shown and deemed to be key highlights, why isn't every shot deemed a key highlight, why isn't every other corner deemed a key highlight? Sorry, but for me, no matter how anyone tries to dress it up or make it sound right, a man running down the wing, having his cross blocked by the guy next to him, and the resulting corner being easily cleared, is not a key highlight.

I use it for every game except the big games. The cross and the corner are both chances just because they do not come to goal does not mean they are not chances. The ball in from the cross could be deemed as a half chance, the resulting corner the same. But remember your not watching match of day where they go through the entire game and pick out the best parts, FM tries to delver the highlights in a real time way, so the game is happening as you watch, not an edited TV version.

They are chances but not "key" chances. If anything it should be like MOTD. You only want to see the key moments of the game. If you wanted to see more, you'd pick extended wouldn't you? I mean the name says it all. I don't understand why this has to be so difficult.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree here, this could go round in circles for another 10 pages and we would still be at the same place. Im sure SI will constantly look at what the ME shows us and adjust where they deem appropriate, if you put your point to them in an intelligent manor they may look into it for you.

You're actually wrong. When you view a highlight, the game has already simulated it entirely. In fact, as long as you don't change anything in a game (subs, tactics, etc.), the ENTIRE match is already simulated. FM DOES really know when a corner will be headed clear, because as soon as it appears on your screen, it's already played out and you can't change it anymore.

I meant the same as this.

FM tries to delver the highlights in a real time way, so the game is happening as you watch, not an edited TV version.

MOTD plays longer highlights for its feature games than ones tagged on the end. FM has longer key highlights in much the same way. when you want to watch your team on motd you want them to be on for longer. Surely then FM assumes this is true also for the team you are managing

MOTD plays longer highlights for its feature games than ones tagged on the end. FM has longer key highlights in much the same way. when you want to watch your team on motd you want them to be on for longer. Surely then FM assumes this is true also for the team you are managing

Of course but they still wouldn't show a corner simply being headed away, unless it came as a result of a big chance or is followed up by a key moment.

Ask any football fan what he considers are key moments in a match. Goals, significant goalscoring opportunities, cards and injuries would be the common answers. Cleared corners or blocked free kicks simply aren't key.

Again, as some have already pointed out: the game is Football MANAGER not Fotball FAN.

As a MANAGER I like to see that my crosses aren't getting in (maybe we should try plaing down the middle), my free kicks getting blocked (maybe pick a different FK taker) or my corners being easily cleared (pick a different CK taker, rearrange players in the penalty area).

Now, If you think you are playnig Football FAN 2012, than you can simply change Highlights to "Only commentary" and set your Replays to show goals and Offsides and such, and enjoy.

Again, as some have already pointed out: the game is Football MANAGER not Fotball FAN.

As a MANAGER I like to see that my crosses aren't getting in (maybe we should try plaing down the middle), my free kicks getting blocked (maybe pick a different FK taker) or my corners being easily cleared (pick a different CK taker, rearrange players in the penalty area).

Now, If you think you are playnig Football FAN 2012, than you can simply change Highlights to "Only commentary" and set your Replays to show goals and Offsides and such, and enjoy.

Then you'd just choose "extended", no? Which is what I use exclusively by the way, but I made an effort to understand the OP's point of view. It appears it's much easier to dismiss other people's views and belittle them. If you make the conscious decision to use key highlights instead of extended, that would indicate you're simply not interested in all these things. And if you want to analyze a lot in detail, (or be a MANAGER instead of FAN like you so derogatively put it), you'd choose extended over key. And no, your suggestion doesn't nearly cover all the key events.

The thing is, this game prides itself on giving everyone the option to play it in a manner they see fit. The key highlights option is a useful option for those who still want to see all the major match events as they happen, and not bother with all the other aspects of the match engine. It could just do with a little tweaking to make it even more concise.

And if you want to analyze a lot in detail, (or be a MANAGER instead of FAN like you so derogatively put it), you'd choose extended over key. And no, your suggestion doesn't nearly cover all the key events.

The thing is, this game prides itself on giving everyone the option to play it in a manner they see fit. The key highlights option is a useful option for those who still want to see all the major match events as they happen, and not bother with all the other aspects of the match engine. It could just do with a little tweaking to make it even more concise.

I DO use extended highlights when I take over a new team... But once I get the ball rolling, and I start playing well, and play against teams I should be winning, the "Key Highlight" is the PERFECT option for me (and for many other players I assume). I get to see what minor improvements could be done during the match (like touchline shouts and subs) without playing one season for 3 months.

I do understand that there are milions of players who have ideas of their own on how to improve the game. Hell, some people want to use theire manager wage to bet on results. But people cannot expect that SI will EXCLUDE A USEFUL FEATURE, so they can quickly run through games and watch those fancy actions like on TV.

I don't know what the replays include, as I do not use them. I know there are replays of goals, offsides, penalties..., so I assumed that you can set it to see free kicks and so on as well. If not, than that may be the replays issue.

Archived