What is the ideal size for a first team squad, in your opinion?

At the moment, my squad is 24, with two keepers, seven defenders, nine midfielders and six strikers. I also have another potential signing lined up, increasing the number of defenders to eight and the total squad to 25.

Now on one hand, I think it's good to have a squad this size, because if I hit an injury crisis, I should have plenty of cover that can keep my team at a high standard.

However, I am going to have some pretty talented players being left out on a regular basis. Is this going to make a lot of good players unhappy?

At the moment, my squad is 24, with two keepers, seven defenders, nine midfielders and six strikers. I also have another potential signing lined up, increasing the number of defenders to eight and the total squad to 25.

Now on one hand, I think it's good to have a squad this size, because if I hit an injury crisis, I should have plenty of cover that can keep my team at a high standard.

However, I am going to have some pretty talented players being left out on a regular basis. Is this going to make a lot of good players unhappy?

At the moment my squad is about 40 players, plus about 60 reserves. I'm trying very hard now to sell as many players as possible who aren't regulars, even if I'm making a huge loss.

3.2 million for Elano, 4 years after buying him for 40 million. Ouch icon_frown.gif

But I've run into trouble with wages and finances in the red, so I gotta do what I gotta do.

In answer to your question, I'd say a first-team squad of between 22 and 30 is ideal; with 18-24 of them expecting first-team football.

Back this up with a good youth and reserve team too though. If you're that confident in your reserves and youth, then a first team squad of 16-18 could be enough, providing you stay injury free.

Due to the nature of FM and players becoming unhappy so quickly, I tend to have no more then 20 players. That gives me about 9 players I can rotate from and almost guarantees me that no players will be dropped, so the majority of the team will be on the field or on the bench, no one is left behind.

I've also started to pay a lot more attention to youth and reserve teams since I'm starting to get into the habit of bringing up youths with potential or reserve players who can be given a few more chances to impress on the field and get promoted to the first team.

That's how I work with it anyway.

I have generally about 25-30 players although some are actualy reserves but they still get some first team football

my ideal is

Gk 3

Lb 2

Cb 4

Rb 2

1 Defender who can play all 3

2 Lm who can both play AML

2 Rm/ AMR

4 cm - at least 1 Dm and 1 Am included in the 4

1 very versatile midfielder Dm/Cm/Am

1 Versatile winger Lm/Rm/Aml/Amr

5 Strikers

altrhough on the first team screen i usually have 2 keepers

6 defenders

6 mids

4 strikers

22 in the first team squad. 2 for every position. 11 are either Key or First Team players, the other 11 are squad.

Then I have 3 Back-up players - a goalie, a DRLC/DM, and a SC (if possible with AMR/L too), in my Reserve team, along with all the up and coming prospects.

I have 22 players in my first team,

2 GK

2 D/WB L

4 DC

2 D/WB R

2 AML

2 MC

2 DM

2 AMR

4 ST

Usually the better player plays, but for lesser opponents I play the young ones, and sometimes at home I mix the old players and youngsters together for experience.

I generally have 22 players I consider 1st teamers, but 6 of them will be given Reserve Football regularly to keep them fit, maybe the other 5 subs will go to reserves sometimes too, but I play in lower leagues, so generally I have 16 first team, about 11 in reserves and 10-20 in youth team, I just can't afford more on the small wage budgets, even if I try to knock down some of the top end wages, thinking about finding a good amateur squad and having some fun :p

At the moment, I have 22 first team players, 30 reserves and 41 under 19's, what I do is, I choose the best 20 for each of the Reserves and Under 19's, and loan the rest out to my feeder clubs... I had a 17 yr olf striker come back after 63 goals in 34 games, and is banging them in for fun with the 1st team!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">d to pay a lot more attention to youth and reserve teams since I'm starting to get into the habit of bringing up youths with potential or reserve players who can be given a few more chances to impress on the field and get promoted to the first team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

18. For a 4-4-2, 2, goalkeepers, 6 defenders, 6 midfielders, and 4 strikers

All of these, though, players who are expected to feature a reasonable amount in the senior squad. With capable young players as cover when injuries hit. Preferably of the "spare" defenders, they should between them be able to cover all 4 defensive positions, (e.g. perhaps one DRL and one DC, or a DRC and a DLC). Same goes for midfielders, and then like for like cover for strikers (one target man, one fast man)

Guest El Zilcho

I try to keep a very small squad in the first team. About 20 with the new 7 subs rule in the EPL. 2-3 younguns who are 1 step away from being first team regulars, and the rest I rotate regularly, as they would all be first teamers pretty much anywhere else.

However, i do fill my reserves with young players who can do a job if needed, and will be ready to step up within 2-3 seasons.

Personally, i find this keeps everyone happy. The 2-3 uber stars waiting to happen are happy to be getting games in important games, even if they arent playing week in week out. Established players are happy since they all play about 2/3 of the season. And the youngsters in the reserves are happy cus they get a call up for cup matches and to fill in.

Another benefit i found from this is, since I am constantly shipping young players in and out of the reserves, with most being good enough to fill in and play league cup matches, but just cant make that step up. The bank balance remains very healthy. get them in cheap, sell them on for a profit. Its win/win

22 in the first team squad, two for every position, then a whole bunch of kids in the reserves who can cover and pick up some experience when a first teamer is injured.

i have about 15 atm, cant fill out my sub bench (had 2 subs through an injury priod). im waiting to get a bunch of players for free so i dont want to sign anyone. tbh, its not giving me as much trouble as you might think.

It depends on what league I'm playing. In League One, I get lots of injuries, so I need more players. In my Swedish league games, injuries are much less frequent, and the same goes for Championship and Premier League.

On the other hand, in Premier League, it seems that more players are prepared to wait for their chance to play than in lower leagues, which means you can have more players on the bench for each position. Credits to SI, because this is a very realistic feature.

when i was at Maderia i had a first team of 44 which comes in handy. I was able to rotate because of fitness as i had 4 players equally good in each position. The problme was only having 25 of them for europe. Expessially when none where HG.

Archived