(FM2011) Unable to submit enough HG players in Euro Cup, no continue?

2013 Euro Cup registration as Man City, here's my squad:

Joe Hart (HG)

Shay Given (HG)

David Stockdale (HG)

Micah Richards (HG)

Nedum Onouha (HG)

Joleon Lescott (HG)

Gareth Barry (HG)

Chris Samba

Neven Subotic

Vincent Kompany

G van der Wiel

Kolarov

F Coentrao

Phil Jones (U21)

Yaya Toure

Demy de Zeeuw

Fernandinho

James Milner (HG)

Elijero Elia

Adam Johnson (HG)

Jesus Navas

David Silva

Josip Illic

Jefferson Farfan

Mario Balotelli

Carlos Tevez

Dzeko

Adebayor

I can't make up the 4 players trained by City for 3 years or 8 players trained in England for 3 years before 21st birthday.

Is it literally possible to continue and my game is a dead end from here?

Sorry for the post I've managed to sort it out!

Ackter, for future reference, I don't understand can you explain more? Cheers!

According to the rules you have to submit a certain number of HG/U21 players.

For every 1 HG player you aren't able to submit you have to sacrifice your squad depth by 1.

So if you are lacking 2 HG players, you would have to leave 2 spaces, cutting your Euro Cup squad size from 23 to 25. etc etc

The upshot is that the rules don't disqualify teams who can't meet the requirements, but they do penalize them.

The problem with the Euro Cup is that if you make it to the group stages it increases the total number of matches in your season by ~ 20-35%. Most of the time you can cope perfectly fine, but the difference of even just a couple of players can leave you vulnerable in certain positions if there is an injury crisis, international call ups or match fatigue.

I think the way these rules are set out in game is slightly confusing, because there isn't really a "minimum" number of home grown players that have to be included in the squad as per the EUFA regulations, what the regulations say is that of the total 25 squad places, 8 are reserved for home grown players.

So thinking of it in terms of "reserved" squad places makes more sense to me - if a club don't have 8 home grown players, they can't fill these squad places and so just have to submit a squad with less than 25 players.

What frustrates me about the fact that threads like this pops up every day, is that the squad registration screen actually states very clearly exactly what is being explained in all the threads on the topic.

A lot of us (including me) asked for this in FM2010 - and it happened. But no one noticed. Nice try SI.

Archived