Question re: swapping players mid-game

hi guys, if i swap two players during the game, i.e AML & AMR, will the defensive instructions i assign to them stay with them, or are the instructions assigned the position? i.e, if i ask my AML to mark near post and AMR to mark tall players, when i swap them mid match will the players still do that?

I think the instructions are position specific rather than player specific. I thought I read somewhere you could do player specific but I haven't seen anymore on it.

I'd really like to be able to choose if I want position specific or player specific particularly for set pieces, I have adebayor set to mark tall player, but if I bring defoe on for him I need him to stay forward. Currently I can either create a tactic that is specific so I can just click that when defoe comes on, or do it manually every time, but if I could save instructions for defoe specifically that would be very handy.

It's position specific. But there's a small workaround: If you move Player A to a free position on the field, then move Player B to Player A's old position (which is now free), and then move Player A to Player B's old position (which is now free), they'll retain the instructions. You may need to change Player A's "role" and "duty", but the rest should be intact.

Well in that case it's something that needs to be looked at then. Liquid Cool has come up with a solution but it's far from practical is it?

I tend to play with a larger squad and rely heavily on squad rotation. Having to change player instructions every single game is a massive pain.

Well in that case it's something that needs to be looked at then. Liquid Cool has come up with a solution but it's far from practical is it?

I tend to play with a larger squad and rely heavily on squad rotation. Having to change player instructions every single game is a massive pain.

Well, it's not that easy to "fix", as some of the instructions may be better off being position specific - it could be a problem if your right winger started to cut inside instead of the left winger, if your entire formation is based on the opposite situation.

But for some, like attacking corners for example, it might be an idea to have a prioritized list like you do for free kick takers. E.G. you make your attacking corner formation, and instead of assigning just one player to each position, you assign a list of players sorted by priority. If you first priority for "attack far post" isn't playing, the second player on the list will get it - unless he's got a higher priority on a different position. That way you can be sure that you'll always have the best possible best header on the far post and your best shooter lurking outside the area, and so on.

There might be some drawbacks to this system that I haven't thought about, but I think it might work.

Well, it's not that easy to "fix", as some of the instructions may be better off being position specific - it could be a problem if your right winger started to cut inside instead of the left winger, if your entire formation is based on the opposite situation.

But for some, like attacking corners for example, it might be an idea to have a prioritized list like you do for free kick takers. E.G. you make your attacking corner formation, and instead of assigning just one player to each position, you assign a list of players sorted by priority. If you first priority for "attack far post" isn't playing, the second player on the list will get it - unless he's got a higher priority on a different position. That way you can be sure that you'll always have the best possible best header on the far post and your best shooter lurking outside the area, and so on.

There might be some drawbacks to this system that I haven't thought about, but I think it might work.

That is a fantastic idea.

Archived