Fm2011 & iCloud

• SI Staff
Can anyone confirm that fm 11 saves and preference files switch between multiple iOS devices? My ipad doesnt realy leave my home so it would be great to continue saves on the move on my iphone.Thanks

You can easily move such files between machines without any issues at all - traditionally (pre-iCloud) people normally do this by simply copying them off the itunes 'Application Sharing' section to a PC and then onto a new device.

All of the FMHi data is built to be sharable between devices - so feel free to swap things around to your hearts content (FMHVibe has some downloadable preference files with unlockables in them for instance).

I'm looking at iCloud now iOS5 is out - but at present it hasn't been determined if its practical to implement save game sharing through this method in the future (bear in mind most apps have very light memory/data loads BUT FMHi actually uses 4Mb (approx) per save game, meaning that backing it up to the 'cloud' regularly on a mobile phone connection could take several minutes of time and eat into peoples data allowances a fair bit).

I would like to second a request for iCloud. I switch from my iPad and iPhone several times a day so using a computer to switch save files would take to much time. Also, it easy to forget to switch saves so to always have them up to date on all devices would be awsome!

• SI Staff
I would like to second a request for iCloud. I switch from my iPad and iPhone several times a day so using a computer to switch save files would take to much time. Also, it easy to forget to switch saves so to always have them up to date on all devices would be awsome!

I think its a great concept and an interesting idea for sure - its something I'm fairly excited about but I want to make sure its feasible and works right before anyone gets over excited ... as well as the initial issues I posted (user side) - I did some back of napkin calculations yesterday and potentially FMHi will need around 4Tb (Terrabytes) of storage space at Apple's cloud farm if everyone uses it, so I want to make sure that the speed of the service and the space allocated to apps can cope with things before I get carried away .... in comparison most iOS apps store a few hundred bytes of information per user (so we're several thousand times more intense than is usual in that regard).

Basically watch this space - might not sneak in to the initial release, but if its feasible its something that will occur in the future at some point.

• SI Staff

I think its a great concept and an interesting idea for sure - its something I'm fairly excited about but I want to make sure its feasible and works right before anyone gets over excited ... as well as the initial issues I posted (user side) - I did some back of napkin calculations yesterday and potentially FMHi will need around 4Tb (Terrabytes) of storage space at Apple's cloud farm if everyone uses it, so I want to make sure that the speed of the service and the space allocated to apps can cope with things before I get carried away .... in comparison most iOS apps store a few hundred bytes of information per user (so we're several thousand times more intense than is usual in that regard).

Basically watch this space - might not sneak in to the initial release of 2012, but if its feasible its something that will occur in the future at some point (support for 2011 and iCloud is unlikely as I've completed my 'support' for that product now and the codebase for it has evolved into the 2012 product).

Archived