Italian junior coaching

Why do almost all the Italian top clubs (Milan, Inter, Roma, Palermo, Juventus) have excellent or exceptional junior coaching facillities?

Is this because their national team squad has seen so many fresh faces over the last years or due to the massive success of the Italian U-21 and younger teams?

Note: There is some irony hidden...

Actually, why not modify the training and youth facilities in such a way that it maximized training? Like, while rebuilding training facilities, you can pick certain attributes(such as fitness, or attacking) and maximize the coaches effect by a certain percentage?

Please don't get me wrong, clubs like Liverpool or Man Utd also only have 'good junior coaching', which I think is unfair. There are NO German or English clubs that have above 'good junior coaching' facilities. That's just not quite fair I think, since the Italian clubs haven't produced a good enough number of great players in recent years to justify those type of state of the art.

Please don't get me wrong, clubs like Liverpool or Man Utd also only have 'good junior coaching', which I think is unfair. There are NO German or English clubs that have above 'good junior coaching' facilities. That's just not quite fair I think, since the Italian clubs haven't produced a good enough number of great players in recent years to justify those type of state of the art.

They do produce very good youth players, they just don´t develope from the age of 19-20 , because they are playing with youth teams, there is no reserve leauge in italy.

the italian youth nationals do very good.

Maybe the Italian researcher tend to overrate their teams? In most of my fm11 save, serie a become as good as or even better than english and spanish leagues.

And in fm12 demo, Italian teams still look a bit stronger than German teams, even though they just lost a champions league spot to German.

About junior coaching, no doubt German clubs should have higher stats considering their youth team's good performance in europe and world cup

also... your confusing the issue....

the number of quality youths coming through has nothing to do with the facilities...

the italian clubs in general and certainly the big clubs all have top notch facilities.. dedicated teams of staff and large amounts of money etc invested in he best technology... now it hasnt paid off yet, but its where their focus lies in terms of youth development.. throwing money into state of the art facilities...

the german, english and other clubs havent got this yet.. although many have planned the same type of facilities....

basically all modelled on the ajax and milanlab blueprints...

What about Sunderland (just comes to mind, haven't actually checked it) Man City is still building theirs so yeah that won't be there for a while. Anyway I think that England way too overrated when it comes to producing quality youth. Every major Euro or World cup England is disappointing simply because the players are not as great as they are made out to be. Their star players are all in their 30s with a massive generation gap to the next round of potential superstars (which in my opinion only really started coming last year).

I wholeheartedly agree about Germany, they produce some class players consistently and could do with an upgrade. However, Italy simply has amazing facilities but the clubs simply do not run it to their full potential.

In my opinion the Dutch leagues could also use a boost. Look at the amount of teams that now sport players developed in the Netherlands. (Not just Dutch, but what to think of Ibrahimovic, Suarez, Ronaldo or Romario?)

Here's how much Italian clubs invested in their youth setup (2010-11 data, in millions of euro)

Bari 0,7

Bologna 1,4

Brescia 2

Cagliari 1,2

Catania 2

Cesena 0,9

Chievo 0,9

Fiorentina 1,8

Genoa 2

Inter 5

Juventus 5

Lazio 1,2

Lecce 2

Milan 5

Napoli 0,3

Palermo 1,1

Parma 2

Roma 2,5

Sampdoria 1,5

Udinese 1,5

I just don't see, why there 5 Italian clubs with excellent or exceptional junior coaching, when there is no German or English club whatsoever... This needs sorting, otherwise I expect the Italian clubs to be powerhouses again in game, which does not reflect real life. They do not have those type of facilities by any measurement.

They wouldnt have these in game if they didnt have them in real life, SI have no reason to give Italian clubs anything more than what they have in reality.

What are you basing your knowledge of Italian youth coaching on? Keeping in mind this stat relates to the quality of their youth coaching, not their facilities.

Yeah I know it's not a regular facility, but this relates directly to the progress of their youth players. So what happens is, that they improve faster than their German, English or French equivalents. This does not happen in real Life imo. I don't know what should justify that? I just think of the German U17-Team at the World Cup this year, and they were brilliant. But still the German junior coaching "facilities" are much worse...

I dont think you understand the stat, its coaches not facilities, these are split into different sections for FM12, you have a rating for your youth facilities and your youth coaches. There is no way for you to know how this directly affects youth progression as its a new stat none of us have seen before now, and you definitely cannot say how much or little an influence it will have on youth players by playing a 6 month demo of the game.

havent played the demo but IRL many italian clubs do have excellent youth facilities an youth coaches

clubs like Milan and Inter have amazing facilities dedicated only to their youth setup. A small club like Atalanta have probably some of the best coaches and youth system in whole europe, and have consistently produced class players for the last 20 years - italian internationals Giampaolo Pazzini and Riccardo Montolivo the latest that come to my mind

To be honest I think all "big " countrys is overrated. Look at the U21-nations irl, it not like Italy, Netherland, Spain or England or any of those are dominating there, teams like Switzerland goes too the final in Euro champs, Belarus qualifying for the Euro champs, and so on. English, Italians players and so on, play for the big team for mainly one reason, there nationality. They reality is that the player are much more equal, then you can think when some players play on some bunker behind some kiosk and Rooney is playing on the best arena in the world.

But of course when it comes to just facilities, all the big team has excellent facilities, but good facilities doesn’t make the players much better irl.

I think they should be downgraded nonetheless. If you say Montolivo and Pazzini, I say Müller and Götze. I could go on all day long, I just think they do not deserve this type of superior equipment, or at least give the other top clubs in europe facilities of a similar level...

I think they should be downgraded nonetheless. If you say Montolivo and Pazzini, I say Müller and Götze. I could go on all day long, I just think they do not deserve this type of superior equipment, or at least give the other top clubs in europe facilities of a similar level...

Pazzini and Montolivo (who's half-german btw...) are only an example of good players produced by a small club with a great youth system, didn't mean to start any comparison and certainly not with clubs like Bayern! It is fair to say that several italian clubs have excellent youth facilities and youth coaches - I'd say Milan, Roma, Inter and Atalanta above all the others. Trust me I have no sympathy for any of these clubs (I admire Atalanta's policy though) but their investment in youth setup are amazing

if you say other european clubs in FM should have facilities and coaches as good as them then you may have a point but as I said I haven't seen the demo so don't really know. I think clubs like Sporting (Lisbon), Ajax, obviously Barcelona and many others should be at the top as well

Italy's youth national teams haven't been at the top for a long time now, and the younger they are the more disappointing the results are...

See, there's a huge difference in quality between the Campionato Primavera and professional leagues (even at a lower level), therefore most of the "starlets" end up having a hard time in the transition from the relatively small world of youth football (where even the moderately talented are revered like kings) to the unforgiving professional world.

Let's take a look at Inter Milan's squad who won the 2001-02 Primavera title.

Out of 23 players only Pandev, Oba Oba Martins, Giovanni Pasquale and Alessandro Potenza have had a career at a high level, a handful of others resurfaced in Serie B while the vast majority of them had to settle for a lower league career or just disappeared altogether.

As years have gone by and the football world has evolved, Italian clubs have stopped promoting youth team graduates to the first team, even as filler...

Most of the U21 internationals are on loan to Serie B clubs or belong to bottom-Serie A clubs... places where they can't possibly evolve much as footballers. Hence the U21 and the other Under-xx national teams have lost a lot of their usual prestige, and the results are mercilessly showing that.

So I'm asking: WHY should Italian clubs get top-notch youth coaching when the whole Italian football scene is one of the least "youngster-friendly" in the whole world?

A league where the Top Clubs' average age is close to 30, where a guy at 25 is still regarded as a "promising youngster" can't possibly have stellar youth coaching/facilities ;)

Especially in a game which AI development patterns are a bit too linear and predictable ;)

A league where the Top Clubs' average age is close to 30, where a guy at 25 is still regarded as a "promising youngster" can't possibly have stellar youth coaching/facilities ;)

I think you're both right and wrong here :) but several italian clubs do have those coaches/facilities despite this "youngster-hostile" environment that indeed is serie A (or even serie B). Blame first team managers, level of pressure and club owners' expectations though, not youth staff, facilities and coaching techniques ;)

how all this is implemented in the game especially in long term development could actually be not that accurate, but if we also had to consider international success of national team I guess england should have "minimal facilities and coaches" ;) ?

didn't know about this new feature btw - the "youth coaches" level. How does it work exactly?

I don't even say they shouldn't get state of the art youth facilities and excellent junior coaching, all I'm saying is that the other top clubs outside of Italy such as those I mentioned should get this kind of youth setup as well since they don't produce less talent than the Italian clubs even those of a lower standard.

Think about Stuttgart, I mean they are above Atalanta reputation-wise but are not considered a top club, and they produced players like Gomez, Khedira, Tasci, Hleb, Kuranyi, Schieber, Leno and so on other the last. I'd even call Lahm one of their products, yet they are not considered to have excellent junior coaching (yes they lost Rainer Adrion but it's not down to one person is it?). I don't get it...

yep.. theres a few clubs starting to clue up now lazaru5 .. but the point is .. ''premier league standard'' is still way behind in terms of the ajax and italian setups in general

I forgot what I said.. oops. I know it was something about Huddersfield building a "Premier League standard" youth and training facility but it was 4:30am, I'd just driven 130miles and it didn't quite fit the thread topic, or not when I re-read it, lol.

However, if the quality of the coaching is the barometer not the standard of the facilities, then surely West Ham and Crewe should also have very good or exceptional youth coaching should they not? A lot of Premier League players past and present have come through the ranks of one or the other and even Arsenal and Everton should be rated quite highly considering the amount of talent they both produce/have produced.

If it's facilities+coaching then I dunno what the criteria would be, but purely on a results basis I'd say the 4 clubs I've named are on a par with Ajax for the number of domestic top flight player's they produce, no?

Well even Arsenal don't have excellent junior coaching. I don't know what to say anymore, yes I know not all of their players are coming from there academy, but they should definitely be on the same standard as Juventus or Palermo...

Edit: Sorry you refer to clubs in plural, never mind

Archived