A bit confused.

ok so two years ago Football manager released the game early as retailers where selling it early.

With FM2012 even if someone got the game early they would have to wait till 21'st to play it.

As most people are buying steam, or through an outlet such as shopto who are basicly just givng you a code for steam, why does the consumer still have to wait for it to be realeased if every game goes through steam.

The idea of a release date in hard copies is to give every retailer a level field, but when its only steam whats the point in making people wait, its more harm then good which brings me on to my next point, piracy.

The two draws of piracy are getting it free which is self explanitory.

and getting it early, if a game leaks on the web before its released, alot of people will give in to temptation and download it so they can play it once its downloaded, meaning si and sega miss out on dosh, where as if its released asap, that eradicates the temptation to download illegaly just to play it early and more money for the devlopers etc.

But you can't play it early, even if it's released early because every copy needs to be validated through Steam. And Steam don't release games early.

I'm not really sure what you're asking though.

a pirated copy will be cracked, getting rid of the need for steam, so it would be tempting to people to download it just to play it early, so i dont understand why companys leave such a time for releases date to let oppotunists have more oppotunity.

If FM was Released today, im almost certain more people would buy it and not pirate it as opposed to waiting till fri when itl clearly leak this week and people will download it then

I think he's asking what the point is of making us wait for a game that has to be activated through Steam. Having to activate it through Steam means all retailers get a level playing field because, no matter when it's activated, it can only be played from a certain point, so why not just release it seeing as it's ready? I think that's what he's asking, anyway.

a pirated copy will be cracked, getting rid of the need for steam, so it would be tempting to people to download it just to play it early, so i dont understand why companys leave such a time for releases date to let oppotunists have more oppotunity.

If FM was Released today, im almost certain more people would buy it and not pirate it as opposed to waiting till fri when itl clearly leak this week and people will download it then

Waiting a week is not going to cause a rampant increase in piracy figures. Most people do have a sense of morality with regards to piracy with regards to computer games.

Plus cracked games are usually downloaded as a way of getting games for free, not early. So your entire logic is flawed.

Waiting a week is not going to cause a rampant increase in piracy figures. Most people do have a sense of morality with regards to piracy with regards to computer games.

Plus cracked games are usually downloaded as a way of getting games for free, not early. So your entire logic is flawed.

alot of people do get if because its free as stated earlier, but alot also get it cos its there ready to download.

And its not a week, it was leaked a while ago, how many thousands have downloaded that, that may of bought it if steam released it when they got it.

alot of people do get if because its free as stated earlier, but alot also get it cos its there ready to download.

And its not a week, it was leaked a while ago, how many thousands have downloaded that, that may of bought it if steam released it when they got it.

Ifs buts and maybes are hardly enough to convince SI to release a game earlier. For all you know those people would've pirated the game anyway. And you can't prove otherwise.

The last few years, I have bought/preordered the game through shopto. It has either turned up on the Wednesday, or Thursday before release. If it happens this year, could I play it early, or, will I have to wait til Friday?
You'll have to wait until Friday.

You'll still have to wait until Friday.

I think a part of the reason is because that's how the majority of games work. They're released on Fridays, simple as that, not to mention any press information and retailer information will all have said October 21st since the release date was confirmed, and it wouldn't make sense to change it a few days before.

I work for a record label, and even if one of our releases has been leaked about a month before release, we'll still always stick to the release date because we'll have been planning for months with that date in mind, and changing it so close would have a negative effect.

You'll still have to wait until Friday.

I think a part of the reason is because that's how the majority of games work. They're released on Fridays, simple as that, not to mention any press information and retailer information will all have said October 21st since the release date was confirmed, and it wouldn't make sense to change it a few days before.

I work for a record label, and even if one of our releases has been leaked about a month before release, we'll still always stick to the release date because we'll have been planning for months with that date in mind, and changing it so close would have a negative effect.

I dont mean change it though, im talking bout when they set the date in the first place. why set it so long, game goes gold, it takes a week or so to get to steam (longer if its a hard copy but in this case its not.) then they slap on say a 3 week wait. i understand that its maybe to generate hype and pre orders, but do thoese benifits outway the amount they loose because of piracy

It doesnt really matter when the release date is, If its the 21st or the 14th, the game would still be leaked on the internet a week earlier than the release date.

true to an extent, but the more gap they leave between going gold and release, means more time for piracy

true to an extent, but the more gap they leave between going gold and release, means more time for piracy

it also means more time for advertising, marketing hype, manufacture and distribution. FM still has hard-copies available to buy, SEGA will want to ensure that all retailers that want copies to sell have as many as they ask for on release day so as to sell as many hard-copies as they can. In addition to the hard-copies, the advertising/marketing will be designed to increase sales across the board, both digital and hard-copy versions :thup:

(p.s. it's not about real "piracy" ;) )

The gap between going gold and release would account for any issues that come up during manufacturing and distributing as well, not to mention the time it'll take to actually press and pack everything. It'd typically take about 10-14 days for a pressing as big as FM is.

Archived