Match Engine Aesthetics

One thing that really makes PES stand out over Fifa (or that has done over the years) is that you can really tell the difference between different players. I've always found that in Fifa all the players feel the same (not played Fifa 12). I say this in both a gameplay and also aesthetic feel - PES were the first ones to bring in the Baggio pony tail, Ravanelli's white hair etc.

It's only aesthetic but I feel it would add a nice element to the ME if players actually looked different. Different height, some long sleeves some short, untucked shirts, wrist bands, ankle tape etc. Just a small touch that would add a bit of realism to the game without taking too much time to implement. Not sure what it would do to the ME performance on lower spec machines but you you have the graphics detail option anyway...

Pretty sure that players heights are taken into account? The ME has taken good steps forward each year though. I expect eventually an ME comparable to say a 5 or 6 year old EA Sports FIFA game might be possible.

Yes, you can see different heights (try signing Zigic and playing him alongside Jermain Defoe!). Hair colour is also in the game. I agree with the OP though, more differentiation would be nice.

FM will never even try to compete with FIFA and PES on the ME visual front. It's an all-together different type of game. However, I was watching the youtube videos of the history of EA's FIFA and I do agree that FM could nudge into the visual level of FIFA from about 6 years ago. PaulC did say in a post that they did very little to the ME this year because they want to thoroughly test some major developments - presumably for FM13.

Archived