Think I might just give up on praising players

Okay, so a player scores 2 goals in a match where his rating was 8.9 (motm) I - passionately - tell him he was great infront of goal, he kicks of and storms out, leter requesting a transfer because he feels he cant work with me due to poor relationship. In same match a defender (2nd best rated at 8.1) puts in a good defensive shift, his exceptional tackling is highlighted in the match report - yep, i calmly praise his defensive work. this player also gets upset that he hasnt played well, morale then drops from fairly good to absmal. This sort of thing happens about 30% of the time when I praise players through conversation (I only praise players rated above 7.6)

What am I doing wrong? Anyone else have this issue? Will this be resolved for the final?

"(I only praise players rated above 7.6)"

Try to only praise the players that stand out from the rest.Also i think 7,6 is way too low for praising.This is really important if youre player has a professional personality.

If you play a good game and there are many players with 8,0 or above,adress the whole team.

I expect my players to give 100% each game,so I only praise players above 9,0.Unless the whole team is **** and one player really stands out above the rest,I can tell him that he did ok.

But imo praising a player should be rare.2-3 times in a season tops.

Sorry for late reply.

It was in fact Gerrard and Coates. Yes, it is through discussion not team talks. I shall take your advice tomatrik and see how it works, I just feel I should speak to players fairly often so praise any above-average performance.

I don't see the need to praise performances outside the team talks. If their morale is already v.good or superb, there's no point. Use it as a tool to raise morale when it is low.

On a related note, when I praise my players for a good performance (good, not fantastic), the game says "delighted" in brackets afterwards. To me that seems a bit imprecise, as I think there is a great deal of difference between Pleased and Delighted. There was a distinction in FM11 but not in FM12? Is there a way to say "pleased" in FM12?

Hi,

I had a similar experience and posted it in another thread. In my case, Aguero with city, got a 9.2, 2 goals and I told him (calmly) superb in front of goal. He told me we have different standards and his morale dropped.

There were two reason I could think of why: 1. I said it calmly instead of maybe passionately. 2. He had like 10 chances and only scored 2 and thus felt he played badly for his standards?

Still trying to work it out, as before (fm 11) I could tell the best players delighted and they would be happy with the praise. Team meetings and team talk work well though. This was in a personal interaction.

Archived