Some questions on overall team talk and individual team talk

A few questions:

when we give a overall team talk/individual should we aim to have the players to be happy and delighted even when they are playing badly? Should we not keep the players happy so that their morale is good so that they will play better in the next game?

when we give individual team talks to substitutes, should we not be able to see their reaction before they go on the field just like we do duirng the half time talk?

I have found that a player who played well has a reaction of delighted after he is praised for a good game but in the squad screen, his morale is very low? Should not his morale have improved?

If you play bad it is good to criticise the one or two of the worst performers but remember now and again it is good to say nothing.

I can't help you on the second, I never say anything to my subs.

There are a number of factors that determine a players moral, not just the team talks (These just generally give a boost for the first 5mins of the half). Training schedule levels, overall workload, relationships with other players, if he is a foreigner he may have low adaptability ratings and is finding it hard to adjust hence becoming unhappy.

I hate it when I have had a player with very low moral but in his general happiness section nothing is wrong. When obviously it is otherwise why would he have low moral

The way I figured out the new team talks is, that the different styles decide the effect of the talk. For example, aggressive has the biggest chance to evoke a reaction from a player but the reaction is also more likely to be negative whereas cautious team talks are often not successful but then again usually can't result in a big morale disaster.

Can anybody confirm this?

Koki - I could do with feedback too - I just stuffed up a team talk, sending them all out 'confused' and they were unfocussed and conceded the only goal in the first few minutes.

In reply to the OP, yes, if they go out 'happy' they might be too relaxed; you want them 'motivated' ideally.

Also, agree about the subs - good that the talk was added but we could do with instant feedback. Mind you, too late to change anything and the reaction will show up in the morale widget.

Think indication of player body language is great addition to impact of team talks etc but would be good to know what hierarchy is in terms of best response to try and get from your players: fired up > motivated > delighted > happy etc. Is my interpretation correct? Does anyone know official order of responses?

Think indication of player body language is great addition to impact of team talks etc but would be good to know what hierarchy is in terms of best response to try and get from your players: fired up > motivated > delighted > happy etc. Is my interpretation correct? Does anyone know official order of responses?

It's not as simple as that. It can depend on their personality and morale. For example 'happy' might be best for a player with low confidence and morale, but bad for an over-confident player.

Fired up and motivated relate to motivation, happy and delighted relate to morale. You really need your players to be happy and motivated.

A fired up player can make some reckless decisions, so don't get them too fired up all the time.

I've only put in about 5hrs or so into the demo and it all seems to be a bit of a lottery. There IS a way to figure it out though and I look forward to doing just that!

So SCIAG, how on earth can a player be bother happy AND motivated? I thought the emotions of the players were a bit linear and they can only feel one thing at a time?

I don't know it's all very confusing :D

I've only put in about 5hrs or so into the demo and it all seems to be a bit of a lottery. There IS a way to figure it out though and I look forward to doing just that!

So SCIAG, how on earth can a player be bother happy AND motivated? I thought the emotions of the players were a bit linear and they can only feel one thing at a time?

I don't know it's all very confusing :D

One of SFraser [RIP]'s threads focused on this - brilliant it was too, as usual. I expect it will be in the special thread of his old works in the Tactics forum.

My assistant gave my two strikes a "having an excellent game" individual team talk, they got angered and now my central defender who has played in every game wants to leave, I guess I should never ever let my assistant say anything? :p but really, wanting to leave for congratulating goal scorers? seems so strange.

I suppose this fits in here well.

I am playing with manchester city in the demo. We won 3:0. Aguero got a rating of 9.2 and scored 2. So I tell him after the match (calmly) superb in front of goals. He replies something along the lines of: we seem to have different standards and his morale drops.

So either it was my tone? Should I have been passionate perhaps? Or he was looking at it seeing his 10+ chances and converting 2 only? I am simply not figuring out these team talks yet. In fm 11 if someone had a 9.2 rating I would be delighted and he'd be happy with the praise. Now it seems a hit and miss chance.

I am playing with manchester city in the demo. We won 3:0. Aguero got a rating of 9.2 and scored 2. So I tell him after the match (calmly) superb in front of goals. He replies something along the lines of: we seem to have different standards and his morale drops.

So either it was my tone? Should I have been passionate perhaps? Or he was looking at it seeing his 10+ chances and converting 2 only? I am simply not figuring out these team talks yet. In fm 11 if someone had a 9.2 rating I would be delighted and he'd be happy with the praise. Now it seems a hit and miss chance.

I think it was to do with your tone

• SI Staff

Doesn't actually fit into this thread as the quoted bit is about the player conversations, not team talks :)

I gave a team talk to the strikers asking them to score goals and one of them responded by being 'seems confused' . What is so confusing about scoring goals? there's some guess work here and a bit of hit and miss to always know what is the best tone to use which depends on the player character, his morale, the match situation etc ?

I was Man City and before the Community Shield with Man utd I told Ballotelli in a passionate tone to see a performance/he could make the difference type talk and when his motivation came up on the game it was " In danger of losing dicipline" and i thought that was fantastic.

I obviously wound him up to the point he was running about like a nutter ready to chop someone in two.

Brilliant.

Doesn't actually fit into this thread as the quoted bit is about the player conversations, not team talks :)

:) true. Not exactly about team talks but in the general category of player interaction and motivation. Would you know or be able to shed some light as to why he lost morale in my scenario?

• SI Staff
I gave a team talk to the strikers asking them to score goals and one of them responded by being 'seems confused' . What is so confusing about scoring goals? there's some guess work here and a bit of hit and miss to always know what is the best tone to use which depends on the player character, his morale, the match situation etc ?

Did you happen to first tell the whole team that there was no pressure on them ? Some players might find it confusing occasionally if you tell the team one thing and then tell a few a total opposite of that.

Archived