What are the FM12 Patching Plans?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I was wondering what the patching plans are for FM12. Is it the same 3 patch idea (plus vital hotfixes if needed) as before? Or will there be more because of the automated rollout now every game will require steam? Or is it still TBC?

thanks in advance

Thks.

I'm guessing that all patches will be steam exclusive, right?

If that is the case, it could in fact change the way things happen in terms of patching the game.

A problem that was raise by some users, regarding the steam situation, was the patches situation. If some people dont have a internet conection, how can they patch the game? If the patches are steam exclusive, then they dont have the option to download from some other place and then installing.

Thks.

I'm guessing that all patches will be steam exclusive, right?

If that is the case, it could in fact change the way things happen in terms of patching the game.

A problem that was raise by some users, regarding the steam situation, was the patches situation. If some people dont have a internet conection, how can they patch the game? If the patches are steam exclusive, then they dont have the option to download from some other place and then installing.

You need an Internet connection for the patch even if it wasn't through Steam.

I think they should keep it the way it is in block patches, that are self extracting so those with out in-home internet can pop to an internet cafe or library and download it onto a USB stick and install it onto there game when they get home. When I didn't have the net during FM10 I had to get my mam to download them onto disc.

i dont think steam allow updates that are not released through steam, was that not the issue with EA and the reason they took their games off steam?

Im hoping this improves patching, they can now hopefully release smaller better tested patches more often, rather than save up the changes and push them all out in one big package.

Steam's really nowhere near as bad as many people seem to think it is. In fact it isn't bad at all. I've been using the service for the past 3-4 years and not encountered anything but minor connection issues, and that's not exactly unheard of anywhere else.

I understand that some people think it's a pain to have to rely on the internet to install/patch their game, but in this day and age it's going to have to be a rare occaison for someone not to have access to the internet. I do believe heard there were packages for as little as £2.99 a month now, and that was with calls inclusive. Can't you also get mobile internet? It might take longer to patch the game, but at least it's possible for 99.999% of people to access Steam.

I know people haven't directly said it, but there's nothing problematic or hassle inducing about Steam. It's a relaible and trustworthy piece of software.

I guess this is why SI have plumped for the Steam method.

Anyone who post on this forum has internet access.

Some people use their mobile phones or internet cafes or libraries. These places may not allow you to download applications onto their systems

No, because the actual files wont get on your computer that way

Thought it would be possible, just needed it confirmed. Hopefully SI and Steam can work out a system where the patches are only available through Steam but downloaded into a file not straight into the game, so then they could be transferred to a USB Memory stick.

Hmm, 2 separate issues. Firstly the demo looks bug-low,s o I'm thinking one patch will be fine until the data update next year.

But HOW to acquire the patch? One thing I've learned from experience is never to install a patch immediately. Last year I was fine with 11.1 then 11.2 was a disaster for me and it was hell trying to uninstall it. I carried on with 11.1 until 11.3 came out. So no way will I allow Steam to auto-download and install anything.

The idea of hotfixes dripping through rather than major patches is good, but they would need to be optional and not auto-installed. For example, there might be a fix for a problem in the Indonesian league which won't affect most gamers and they won't want to download it.

Hmm, 2 separate issues. Firstly the demo looks bug-low,s o I'm thinking one patch will be fine until the data update next year.

But HOW to acquire the patch? One thing I've learned from experience is never to install a patch immediately. Last year I was fine with 11.1 then 11.2 was a disaster for me and it was hell trying to uninstall it. I carried on with 11.1 until 11.3 came out. So no way will I allow Steam to auto-download and install anything.

The idea of hotfixes dripping through rather than major patches is good, but they would need to be optional and not auto-installed. For example, there might be a fix for a problem in the Indonesian league which won't affect most gamers and they won't want to download it.

Agreed, Steam means that everyone will get the patch (provided they online) but i would like the choice of which patch to choose. Hopefully this is something that is being worked on. You can set steam to not auto update the game, but you cant currently pick which patch

Anyone who post on this forum has internet access.

Compare posting in a forum to downloading a file with 100Mbyte... not really the same thing.

And, please, i'm saying that STEAM is a bad thing. I'm just saying that if the patch is steam exclusive it will be harder for some people to update the game. This is a fact.

About the ideia of, more patches with a smaller size... i think this could be a bad ideia. We all know that the patches are save game compatible, but... in some cases SI recomends a new save game start. So it could be a bit annoying donwloading a patch today, start a new game, and two weeks later we get another patch with the recommendation that we should start a new game again.

Compare posting in a forum to downloading a file with 100Mbyte... not really the same thing.

And, please, i'm saying that STEAM is a bad thing. I'm just saying that if the patch is steam exclusive it will be harder for some people to update the game. This is a fact.

About the ideia of, more patches with a smaller size... i think this could be a bad ideia. We all know that the patches are save game compatible, but... in some cases SI recomends a new save game start. So it could be a bit annoying donwloading a patch today, start a new game, and two weeks later we get another patch with the recommendation that we should start a new game again.

As the game requires you to have steam to play the game, its is fairly certain that all patches will be only delivered through steam imo. (I dont have anything to back this up other than a vauge recolection that Miles said this would be the case somewhere...

I think (just my opinion) that there will be a release day patch. As I have seen some people pointing out quite a few graphical bugs for instance. Whether it's enough to issue a release patch remains to be seen but i think they will. As for rest of patching process...id guess same as last year

What? I can't see anybody suggesting there won't be patches, or that patches are ME-only.

Well, last years there was already (before the launch) a well defined schedule about patches release.

But maybe it's just a delay, of course the chance to have several updates through Steam would be a great opportunity, Team fortress 2 works like that, developers release frequent updates every time there's something to fix. :thup:

What I'd like to know is whether any data will be addressed on the release day patch? (assuming there is one). For example, there is apparently a mistake with Jack Robinson's height - will this be fixed on patch 12.1? What about managerial changes? (e.g. steve mcclaren). There are definitely some bugs that need sorted.

I'd also be interested to know what time it will be released on release day (again, assuming there will be one). I'm wondering this because the game is effectively released on Thursday night but will we have to wait until Friday evening to play with new patch? I suppose only someone from SI can answer this. I wouldn't want to start a game without the patch, especially if there will be small data changes on the patch

If Jack Robinson's Height has been brought up in the Liverpool data issues thread then it should e addressed. Managerial Sackings after the Start date wont be included I don't think. The release time will vary depending on how you bought the game if you have pre-ordered through steam, it should allow you to download 99% (or something similar) and then download the extra at 0:01 (or not to far from that). Has for patches it depends on how much needs changing and if the changes cause other problems and then how long it will take to fix those problems etc.

Archived