Your Football Manager Superstitions

all messages MUST be read before starting the match

the cursor goes between my team name and the score

all whooping and hollering at scoring must be made after they start celebrating

the second you stop thinking about FM, then quit the game

always use defaults for shirts

if i am passive-calm my team generally does well, the moment i am distracted by wife or child the opposition will score and my team forget they are playing football and run around the pitch doing headless chicken impersonations.

Never under any circumstance stop playing if you're on a winning run.

This.

If I play in a country with a heavy Chinese culture (China, obviously, Hong Kong and Singapore), I don't give players shirt numbers that have a 4 in them.

I speed up the play when a shot has been saved until the key highlight is over, then slow it down again, i do this constantly over and over again, a habit i wish i had never got in2. But now i feel like im losing time if i just let the highlight play out when i no nothing else is going to happen lol

Never buy an English keeper.

Why? xDDD

This.

If I play in a country with a heavy Chinese culture (China, obviously, Hong Kong and Singapore), I don't give players shirt numbers that have a 4 in them.

LOL, it's better really LOL. And it works a lot? xD

Well (un)fortunately I don't have any superstitions I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Revived.

-The mouse cursor must be on the far left edge of the 'Last 5 mins' bar, directly in the middle of the upper and lower line of the bar.

-Never ever be confident in Press Conferences; be as coy and defensive as you can; comment on your good form? Defeat. Confident of winning the next match? Defeat. Admit that you're good for promotion? Defeat.

-Don't look away from the screen when there's a match on. I often find the allure of some Alan Partridge or Blackadder too hard, but if I take my eyes off the screen, the opposition will score...

-Former players will always score against me

-Players will always end goal droughts against me

-If I ever consider or think about my keeper's clean sheet record, he'll concede in the next match

-Added time is the devil incarnate. If you're losing/drawing, and there's 2 minutes of added time, the game ends at 92:00. If the opposition is losing/drawing, and there's 2 minutes of added time, the game ends at 96:00 and your team will cordially invite the opposition into the back of your net

-Newgen youths are better than real youths

• 2 years later...

Cheating.I believe that SI keep tabs on it and hold your team back:p.In early FM(post entering a name to unlock a Tycoon etc) games I used the cheat of becoming Chelsea and a LOW manager and signing Caersws' worst players for £20,000,000 then buying league 1 players for Caersws only too find they were crap and I couldn't win as well if I hadn't cheated.

I always seemed to find console FM's easier on the very first save,with it getting gradually harder with subsequent saves. Eg I won CL,EPL and FA Cup first season with Liverpool on FM 03,then couldn't win much with Barca or R Madrid later.I believed that FM tracked your games and adjusted to your experience and achievements,so would create a new X Box profile every so often too play a new FM save.

I always urinate in the same pint glass whenever I am hiding in the shed at the back of the garden doing an FM14 all nighter, while hiding from my wife while she looks after our recently born triplets.

She thinks I am on business in the city, but I actually lost my job 4 months ago.

If a pigeon lands on the roof of said shed, I send off a speculative job application to my local U12s football team, complete with exported statistics stretching back to a treble winning season in CM 00/01, spearheaded by Martin Palermo.

I role play with different costumes. I have a suit and tie on when we kick off. If i see a clear cut chance i press the space bar and quickly change into my football strip to cheer the move on. Then its space bar again to jump into my tracksuit to issue sideline shouts. A match usually takes me about 2 hours but I really feel im getting involved with all aspects of the game. When the match is over I again don the suit and tie for my post match interview. When this is all done i jump into my car and have a drive around the block imagining im just leaving the ground after matchday. Now where are those street cones I stole? its almost time for training!

Archived