Youth Academy (Abroad)

Okey i dont usually post or make topics , because I usually like what SI implements with this game i have played since CM 01/02 and almost always this game implemented things that was in need.

So my suggestion or call it question is if SI ever thought of implementing in the game when speaking to the board after u have top youth facilities to ask and maybe get to pick the location for a youth academy , its such a common thing for top club in our days that maybe SI should think about implementing , i think this is not a fantasy request or something that will make the game be tycoonish like fifa manager .

What kind of location would you suggest?

Well that depends if Si can implement this because of the newgens that will come through that so i think the whole newgens would have to be rethinked maybe come through the club from 14 years like in some rare casses that i saw with the french newgens , but primarly i think everyone is interested in making an academy in either africa or south america .

Any examples of youth academies abroad?

From what I've read, the players in the academy start at the age of 9 and may or may not be taken on by the club. There are strict rules, one of them is the players in the academy must live 1 hour max commute from the club.

I don't know how that would be achieved abroad?

Also they can't put players in the game that are under a certain age, depending on the leauge.

I understand you want to setup an academy in say Brazil and get a 14 year old Brazilian.

But you can't sign a player from Brazil until they're 18 anyway.

You can sign a 14 year old from France.

But generally youth academy players don't know if they have a future at the club until they are 18 or 19.

There are some exceptions to the rule, Fabregras, Rooney, Messi etc.

Generally FM tries to mimic an academy in the background and push through youth players to your youth team.

• SI Staff

Most teams do this via feeder clubs or link ups with clubs in other countries do they not rather than having specific academies there which they run themselves? It may be different for the really big clubs (heard something about Barcelona opening one in England maybe?) but some real world examples of this kind of thing would be interesting.

I think rather than having permanent academies you should be able to search for newgen material in other countries with the help of your scouts. Maybe it could be added as a new option for the scouts. An option which allows you to send out your scouts to look for young talent. They then won't come back with a report of players as usual but more like a report saying that "Yeah, I found some talent here, do you want me to keep track of them?" and then when it's time for newgens it may contain some players from that country. The more time a scout spends in a country, in combination with his skill, should increase the chance of both quantity and quality of the newgens he may find. So focusing much on one particular country may be better than scouting a fragment of several. I would like that control over the recruitment.

Or you could talk to the board and ask them to try to find a link/agent in that particularly country that could provide some information about promising youth, for a cost of course. Then once again you could get players from that country when it's time for newgens.

In summary, and I also think this is sort of the point that setzel want to make: It would be great to have a little more control over the youth recruitment. This year we have the new feature that we get to choose our new youngsters. But it would also be nice to get a little more control over who we get to choose. Youth Recruitment are supposed to make this now, I’ve understood, but it's vague. I want to be able to influence if the club should focus on local, domestic or international talent. And if international then I would like to have some control over which nations or regions the club should focus on. For example, my club AIK from Stockholm, Sweden has been focusing very much on Africa during a few years, more specifically Sierra Leone, but also Ghana, and are now thinking about looking for talent in Rwanda and China. A few years ago they scouted very much in Argentina.

I hate to say it but “Your Competitor” (not CM, the other one) was better at the youth compartment of the game eight years ago than Football Manager are today. I played “Your Competitor” until 2005 when I then switched to Football Manager because it’s better overall but in this subject they are light years ahead. Sad but true.

There are strict rules, one of them is the players in the academy must live 1 hour max commute from the club.

I don't know how that would be achieved abroad?

That only applies to players who reside in Britain when signed. There are FIFA restrictions on players moving across borders before 16, but that doesn't matter if they don't have to move (Fabio and Rafael, for example, were signed by United aged 16 iirc, but didn't move until they were 18. Alexandre Pato signed for AC Milan aged 17, but didn't move until the following January because his birthday was right after the transfer window shut) or the movement is just within the EU.

I think most of those "academies" abroad are pretty useless anyway regarding developing players for their main team, it seems they are generally used more to generate money (as you many times have to pay to enter those academies) and as a sort of public relations thing.

I think most of those "academies" abroad are pretty useless anyway regarding developing players for their main team, it seems they are generally used more to generate money (as you many times have to pay to enter those academies) and as a sort of public relations thing.

I think that's spot on. The local (to me) English League One side academy just hoovers up every kid within a 30 mile area, charges a small fortune for the academy weekly sessions knowing their 'name' keeps the kids coming paying well over the odds for football coaching and 1 in how many will ever have the talent etc to get paid to play? And that's only a League One (tier 3) clubs! :D

Most teams do this via feeder clubs or link ups with clubs in other countries do they not rather than having specific academies there which they run themselves? It may be different for the really big clubs (heard something about Barcelona opening one in England maybe?) but some real world examples of this kind of thing would be interesting.

why not incoporate ANOTHER feature from FMLive, where you could build academies

In previous FMs you used to be able to choose the particular club you want to be linked with, but for some reason it does not seem to work for FM11.

It would be a good idea to have an option where you can either request board to find a few clubs in a particular country to choose from or even ask to be linked with a specific club (more chance of being rejected obviously)

Danish club FC Midtjylland has (or maybe had untill recently) an academy in Nigeria. Thus, they now have tons of players from Nigeria. Also, danish champs FC Copenhagen had one in South Africa a couple of years ago. Another smaller danish club Vejle had one in Nigeria too.

Archived