Steam pre-download

Is there a set amount of time before a game is released that Steam allows you to pre-download the files before activating and playing?

Only I'm not too sure on how long I will have access to the internet before next week, and whilst I will be able to connect to activate my game I am not so comfortable going somewhere and downloading all the files needed on another's network.

Thanks

I think steam will download 99% of the game, and on the day its playable, it downloads the last 1% and activates the game..

I havent ordered from Steam, so not 100% sure if this is correct, but it usually is from Steam..

I think steam will download 99% of the game, and on the day its playable, it downloads the last 1% and activates the game..

I havent ordered from Steam, so not 100% sure if this is correct, but it usually is from Steam..

No. The full game is downloaded but the executable is encrypted. When the game comes out, Steam decrypts the executable, letting you play the game.

Is it only steam purchased FM12's that will be able to use the steam FM achievements?

I would imagine that any game activated through Steam and not being played offline will receive Steam achievements. In my experience Steam doesn't differentiate between a game bought on disc and activated on Steam and a Steam direct download.

Archived