FM12 all positive looking at the forums...am I the only 1?

I have been back and forth about buying FM12,I have bought almost every edition since CM97/98.

I had a bit of time this week so downloaded the demo and I have to say even though there are a couple of good things I did not take to it very much.

The tone team talks are just what I thought,just more clicking to get through to the match,the new camera while it is good for free kicks I find it a bit annoying when it changes quickly on some attacks.

Maybe there is such a thing as to much information on the screen?I just find it a bit cluttered,maybe that is just me.

Also things like the loyalty bonus is just another thing to slow the game down,not only do I have to negotiate this but I also have to think if I sell him that I have to pay that out and what that can do to my budget.

Also even the team screen just seems cluttered,I much prefer the way it was before.

I know I am ranting on here so will stop as I see by the forums almost everyone seems to enjoy the changes,I will just stick to FM11.

Just 1 quick question as I maybe missed it,I was trying to get my asst manager to give match day tactics for the opposing team,as in hard tackle this player etc but I could not seem to find it,is this option still in the game?

Just 1 quick question as I maybe missed it,I was trying to get my asst manager to give match day tactics for the opposing team,as in hard tackle this player etc but I could not seem to find it,does this option still in the game?

I think OIs are assigned in exactly the same way as before.

It does seem more cluttered, and the tones can be considered yet more clicking, especially as a lot of them have the same info and calm/passionate seems to be the way to go.

I was hoping the tea-cup throwing tones might be useful, but telling them I was disappointed in Fm11 required one click, in this two. Same result.

However it's like everything in the FM world, it eventually becomes something you can't imagine living without.

I agree - for the first time I am thinking about not buying the game. It was already too time-consuming for one, but now they have mainly expanded upon the parts of the game I have no interest in (press conferences, talking to players, match preparation, etc.) I know managers may do these things, but I don't see why they should be in the game. If I wanted this I would buy a psychology game where I could learn about motivation. It feels ridiculous to try to emulate this in a supposedly realistic soccer game. Why don't they improve the long-term playability by making the AI managers better in the transfer market? Why don't they add crowd chants, and stadiums, and make the feel of the game more realistic - so a non-league game feels different than a Champions League Final, and managing Manchester United feels different than managing Liverpool? Maybe they have done some of these things because I have not fully played the demo, but I doubt it.

I think FM12 has moved the series more towards being a simulation than it was in previous years. Perhaps the reason people are enjoying the detail less than previous years is because of this extra level of simulation where as you may prefer a more arcade-type version?

I'm enjoying the extra level of detail. Yes, it does make the game take longer to play, but now I feel much more in control of things, it makes the hours fly by without me getting frustrated due to simply wanting to get to matchday. Now there are quite few side-attractions on the way there :)

i dont know if its coz i started playing the game 15 years ago, (im 27 now), but the best saves i ever had were pre 01/02, since then its become more like a console manager game from back when i started playin cm/fm, in 1997/8 ish, the main reason i started playin the game was coz it was more about player stats and more leagues and players. the console manager games back then were more colourfull and pretty lookin, pickin ur clubs sponsorship deals etc. but instead of playin match's and scouring the game for literally weeks on end for players, whcichfor some reason i enjoyed, now i find myself clickin thru press conferences, team meeting etc.

either way ill prob buy this latest version, i am an addict after all, and need my fix,. but like any addiction, my fix is less satisfying every time i get it.

Ive played the demo and it is not what alot of people make it out to be, they've added some feature (800 i yet to believe) and have made the interface worse! So clustered and hurts your eyes on the white background after 30 minutes of play.

There are again, quite alot of bugs and mistakes in this version, and due to it being "gold" or something, the Full Game on release wont be updated/changed, so what you see is what you get.. Not sure when a patch/update is in motion, but i wont be buying it just like alot of people here, and most of the people ive spoken to.

**Before people say, that I should be recording down the bugs for the tech's to see and fix - No point, many others have done before me...

I'm 25 and started playing CM2 (1995/96 season) when I was 9 years old - I've brought every FM (previously CM) game since every season. I understand where people are coming from, and I always have extremely fond memories of CM1997/98 in particular, but it's all a natural evolution process.

I can't go back to the old CM/FM games and play them anymore because there's always something new added to the most recent game that you'll find missing when playing the older games. You simply get used to things and then realise you need them within your game to make it as realistic and under your control as possible!

Also things like the loyalty bonus is just another thing to slow the game down,not only do I have to negotiate this but I also have to think if I sell him that I have to pay that out and what that can do to my budget.

This is in place of the signing on fee. You just pay it over the period of the contract and if you sell the player, you pay off the remaining amount. You are not out of pocket anymore than previously. Also, if they request a transfer then you do not pay the remaining amount. Much more realistic, imo.

Ive played the demo and it is not what alot of people make it out to be, they've added some feature (800 i yet to believe) and have made the interface worse! So clustered and hurts your eyes on the white background after 30 minutes of play.

There are again, quite alot of bugs and mistakes in this version, and due to it being "gold" or something, the Full Game on release wont be updated/changed, so what you see is what you get.. Not sure when a patch/update is in motion, but i wont be buying it just like alot of people here, and most of the people ive spoken to.

**Before people say, that I should be recording down the bugs for the tech's to see and fix - No point, many others have done before me...

Well my advice you is to reported them notheless, since the more reports the more likely SI guys will look at it and try to fix it.

If I can seperate the user interface concerns from the bugs, the good thing about FM is that you can be involved as much as you want. As we the previous version, if you don't like to give teamtalks, leave it to the assistant. You only have to click more if you want to seperate different talks to different positions. If you don't like the new camera angle then change it(I did), the old views are still there to choose. I also don't like the director view as it switchs at silly moments.

In terms of cluttered team screens. It's quite customisable if you have a play about. Keep an eye on the skinning forum as it won't take long before someone knocks up a skin so it looks like a previous version of the game.

Regarding the last point from the OP, you can still set your assistant to auto apply the OI through *Team Name*>Team Policy>Tick the relevant box. Keep in mind that a shoddy assistant won't apply any instructions anyway.

Well i'm sure you're reporting them in the appropriate forum then.

What's that, you haven't?

No I haven't, quite new to the forums and have been a background player, been playing it since CM4 (I think), well the edition of when Ibrahim Bakayoko (spl) was in demand and hugely successful up front.

The bugs ive "encountered" have already been reported by other members and I feel that repetitive behaviour and comments are not justified or helpful. SI already know about the bugs so hopefully have them in hand to try and fix them or encourage workarounds..

Thank you for your opinion.

I agree - for the first time I am thinking about not buying the game. It was already too time-consuming for one, but now they have mainly expanded upon the parts of the game I have no interest in (press conferences, talking to players, match preparation, etc.) I know managers may do these things, but I don't see why they should be in the game. If I wanted this I would buy a psychology game where I could learn about motivation. It feels ridiculous to try to emulate this in a supposedly realistic soccer game. Why don't they improve the long-term playability by making the AI managers better in the transfer market? Why don't they add crowd chants, and stadiums, and make the feel of the game more realistic - so a non-league game feels different than a Champions League Final, and managing Manchester United feels different than managing Liverpool? Maybe they have done some of these things because I have not fully played the demo, but I doubt it.

Yeah never understood, why all this teamtalk, press conferences etc was necessary. It will never be anything but a tedious click the same thing over and over and over again. A shame SI is concentrating on that now and the ME is left as is, with little to no improvements over several versions now.

Had another little go and I will just give it a miss.

I really try to enjoy getting everything a game has to offer me but all the team talks and press talks are just so pointless.

Pre-season I gave a team talk it basically went like this..

Me in a passionate voice-"we can win the league if we work hard"

The team seemed motivated ..

Ohh player "A" has something to say..

Player A "yes we can win the league if we work hard"

Wait a sec that is what I just said,never mind it seems someone else has something to say..

Player B "I agree with player A"

And then the team meeting ends...honestly what a waste of time,so many clicks to get to the end result.

I have thought for sometime that a lot of changes could and maybe should be done as DLC for a previous version of the game,of course this will never happen but I will give this years release a miss,there are a couple of improvements but also a lot of things that are just there to slow the game down or things I would never use.

Maybe if the devs focus more on the things that are fun in the game such as the match engine or to speed up the entire process instead of slowing it down I will buy the next version of the game.

Archived