How can one tell what tactics the oppositon are using?

I know this might be more suited for the tactics forum, but I mean this in a general sense, so I put it here.

I'll give you an example - I played a game as United v City, the CS game three times, Attacking, Control, Normal. I spanked City playing with a Normal strategy, but lost the other two. I don't know why. Moreover, I've absolutely know idea how City were playing, and what I could do to counter it. The scouting reports are still really, really vague.

You have to watch the game and judge for yourself, otherwise it would be too easy!

The pre-match odds are sometimes a good indicator of how a team will start against you, then you can see their formation during game and look out for the commentary where it sometimes says "Man Utd are adopting a more conservative style" or something along those lines. Keep an eye out for formation changes.

- Watch the match in full detail.

- Play a few matches with each strategy. One match with one strategy is too little to draw conclusions. (certainly if you base the conclusion on the result)

Ah yeah, I know that it's a pretty poor example, it's just a subject of some annoyance. I know what all the tactics, etc, mean conceptually, but I always find myself referring to real world football, not the game. And that changes pretty drastically after a season or two in game anyway.

It's easier to tell when watching the real thing I find.

It's easy to tell in-game, just observe how wide they play, their defensive line and their tempo. These are usually key indicators of how attacking a team is playing.

It's easier to tell when watching the real thing I find.

It may be because in FM you are likely watching highlights (thats how I watch it) where as irl you are watching the full game.

Your scout assigned to opposition should give you a good view of likely intention and your Ass Man often gives you advice also. When you refer to tactics do you mean formation and / or intention?

Sometimes its predictable that when you go 1 goal-up the opposition will go all out to try and get one back so I find counter attacking a good option or playing a 5 man midfield to stifle them. You might often see them playing a 4 man attacking line. As always if prevent the ball from reaching the target at source.......

Archived