FM2012 Activation questions

So as most of you know FM2012 will have Steam Activation and they say no other way is there to activate the game.

Like in the previous years I have bought FM via Steam as I find using steam to run it incredibly comfortable.

But this new activation thingy, is it going to prevent any pirating of the game? lets say like last year I bought my FM and was to get it on release day but a pirated version got online before the steam one was online, which REALLY sucks.

But now is pirating just a no-way now ? or if people were to download a pirated version, could they do that and then activate via steam or what ?

Don't think I'm trying to find out if I will be able to download the game, this is the only game I would ever consider paying for and I have since I can remember myself, also I like supporting SI as I want them to continue making new FM's, so I'm actually wanting for the game to be free from being able to be pirated in any way.

Also my friends have in the recent years just downloaded the game and it actually bothers me as I always buy it, so now if there was no way to download the game I could at least say "Well I just bought it like previous years and got it on midnight at release date"

So basically to sum this up, will someone be able to download a pirated version and then activate it via steam ?

best regards

No game will ever be free from piracy, there won't be any 'activation' in the sense of registering a product key. It makes the game more secure, and should hopefully stop the game being available to pirate before release day (as has been the case the last few years). Personally I don't like Steam, I find its terms and conditions far too invasive but you have to suck it up and go with it. EA are doing the same with all their games and origin. It makes piracy harder but steam is very weak in terms of security these days, any game through steam is easily pirated after release. It just has the advantage of stalling the people who pirate the games a few days, and that decision in itself can prove to be worthwhile. Some people pirate because they hear a game is out early, and then there is no point in buying it, if its not out early, and then come release day its not available anywhere either, people may just find the £20 - £30 lying around to go pick up a copy.

Alright, but does anyone know if it will be like last 2 years via steam, that if you pre-order the game, as myself has done. Will it become available at 00:01 on Friday 21st of October, that was a feature that I really loved, and hope they keep it!

Archived