Football Manager 2012 Demo FAQ - Technical and STEAM Issues

• Administrators

General STEAM errors

If you are have problems launching Football Manager 2012 or are experiencing unexpected crashes, please follow the steps below to use Steam's Verify integrity of game cache feature to identify and replace corrupted Steam cache files.

1. Load Steam
  2. From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
  3. Select the Local files tab and click the ‘VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE…’ button.
  4. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
  5. Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

88589882.jpg

If you are still experiencing the same error afterwards on the PC please try deleting the FM.EXE

PC WINDOWS:

Local Disk -> Program Files -> Steam -> steamapps -> common -> football manager 2012 -> fm.exe

Upon deletion try the ‘VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE…’ feature to identify whether this addresses the problem.

• Administrators

Slow Downloads and Connection to Content Servers

If Steam downloads are going slower than expected, please double check your current download region:

1. Start Steam
  2. Go to Steam > Settings > Downloads tab
  3. Under Download region, select the region that you are in or that is closest to you.
  4. You can also try various regions near your location to see if a better connection is available.

66502132.jpg

• Administrators

Steam is already running

When I attempt to launch Steam or a game, I get an error message saying that Steam is already running. How can I resolve the problem?

Please see Steam is already running topic for instructions:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8787-WYIL-1543

• Administrators

Offline mode

Internet access is required for product activation. Once the Demo has been installed you can put STEAM into Offline Mode as instructed below:

1. Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
  2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)
  3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played
  4. Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the ‘Don't save account credentials on this computer’ option is not selected
  5. From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline
  6. Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode

• Administrators

Disable Steam from running at start-up

How do I stop Steam from running automatically when I start my computer?

With Steam open, click the Steam menu, and choose Settings.

20900332.jpg

Click on the Interface tab, and uncheck the box that says:

"Run Steam when my computer starts."

31328475.jpg

• Administrators

Block of colour at the bottom of the screen

I installed through Steam and now I get an annoying block of colour on my screen (bottom right hand corner)?

In Steam click the icon "Settings", click the tab "in game" and untick the "enable steam community"

29595424.jpg

• Administrators

Creating a desktop shortcut

You can create a desktop shortcut which allows you to launch the game without having to go through the STEAM interface.

To create a desktop short-cut right click on the game from the STEAM Library and select Properties:

From GENERAL select ‘CREATE DESKTOP SHORTCUT’:

58306570.jpg

• Administrators

I can't run the game in my Region?

For PC:

Try entering the following:

steam://install/71280#

into your browser or your 'RUN' box, this in turn will launch Steam and should download the game.

For Mac:

Open the terminal from the "Utilities" folder, then type: open steam://install/71280#

This will not work if you're running the game from Germany, China, Hong Kong, North Korea and South Korea as these regions are locked from the Demo for licensing reasons.

• Administrators

This game is currently unavailable

The following error "This game is currently unavailable" is shown whilst attempting to launch the game. Please see This game is currently unavailable topic for instructions:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4595-WEXN-6831

• Administrators

The game is not starting up when I attempt to load it:

Go to Steam.exe, right-click on it and go to 'Properties'

Check 'Compatibility'.

Make sure everything is off, except 'Run as Administrator'.

• Administrators

The game will not start up for me and I have BitDefender installed

Some users have encountered an issue whereby the Football Manager 2012 Demo will not start if BitDefender is installed.

There is a solution for this issue. If you add FM.exe to the list of exclusions within BitDefender then the game should run. If this alone doesn't work we would suggest adding the entire Steam folder to the list of exclusions.

To do this in BitDefender; navigate to Antivirus -> Advanced Settings -> Exclusions and add the FM.exe there.

The FM.exe can be found at C: Program Files -> Steam -> steamapps -> common -> football manager 2012 demo

• Administrators

Programs and Anti-Virus Programs which may cause issues with Steam

There are a number of programs which are known to sometimes cause issues when running Steam. Any applications running in the background may negatively affect your games or Steam itself. Certain applications can lead to more serious issues such as limited connectivity and game crashes. It is highly recommended that you close all background applications before launching Steam to ensure the best performance and stability. After you are done playing, feel free to re-enable these applications.

A list of all these applications can be found at the following link - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289

Archived