Resigning released players

I released an old LB as his contract expired and I had two younger, better players plus a kid with awesome potential in the same position. Since then I got a big offer for one of the LBs and sold him, so now I need a LB as cover for a season. I tried to resign the released LB (a bit like Liverpool did with Fabio Aurelio) but he won't even discuss terms (why is this still in the game?!) so I figured I could remedy the situation by editing his 'squad registration' status using FMRTE. I changed this to a random club then advanced the game, but when I try to sign him he still isn't interested! Is this the wrong way to do this, and if so how can I get around this?

I released a DMC (was Bromley at the time) as i just signed on a free a better DMC.

My new DMC broke his leg, 6 games into his career, i had to use a youth DMC as wages were real tight and there were no-one actually any good..

6 months later i managed to re-sign the released player, the only thing i can think of is why is:

1 - He favoured club was Bromley

2 - He had no interest or offers in 6 odd months..

3 - I offered (after releasing other players to composate for the wage bill) stupid amount (£350) a week, he was previously on £100

I think it's a valid point... Clubs have been known to take previous players on trial contracts to build up fitness and find other clubs, and I have no doubt that some clubs allow some of their youngsters to continue things like medical treatment and career advice even after the expiry of their contracts.

I think it's a valid point... Clubs have been known to take previous players on trial contracts to build up fitness and find other clubs, and I have no doubt that some clubs allow some of their youngsters to continue things like medical treatment and career advice even after the expiry of their contracts.

This, i would like the option to be able to resign players just released like aurelio at liverpool.

People are free to play the game however they see fit, surely.

I wouldn't say it was cheating, I don't like using the editor and only felt I had to resort to using it because this was something that should be in the game anyway. I didn't save it in any case as this was just an experiment to see what could be done. It seems a bit excessive that he should go from liking me originally to disliking me just because I released him though - he had an agreement with the club which I honoured and then we went our separate ways, it's not like I promised him a new deal then booted him out.

I think it's "valid cheating" because it can be realistic in some ways - an editor is just making up for a mistake in the game. On the other hand, you aren't giving other players the same treatment, so you are giving yourself a (small) advantage.

Most players wouldn't mind (as long as they leave on good terms) staying on for a little while or signing a new contract should they find the grass isn't greener on the other side (when on trial at other clubs, or if he can't find a new club, say), even if only on a trial basis. In Aurélio's case, a change of management could have meant Hodgson was more open to his contract demands than FSW or Hodgson would have had a more important role for him, so he was convinced to sign-on again.

This, i would like the option to be able to resign players just released like aurelio at liverpool.

The option to interact with the player prior to trying to resign him would be a nice addition. Especially if you were on his favoured personnel list for example.

Players need better 'memory' IMO.

I don't know, if I was released by someone, I'd have a hard time wanting to work for them again. That's like letting a girlfriend take you back after she dumped you. I don't think the game is incorrect with its assumption that the player is reluctant to re-sign.

I don't know, if I was released by someone, I'd have a hard time wanting to work for them again. That's like letting a girlfriend take you back after she dumped you. I don't think the game is incorrect with its assumption that the player is reluctant to re-sign.
It depends on the circumstances (we've already highlighted Fabio Aurélio). Players would rather play for their old team than not play at all, which is the circumstance where some players fall into (released and fail to find a club).

If this was made possible, I think too many players would be resigning for their previous club.

If you have ever played with an unofficial updated datatbase, you will notice that if the person who created the update has not updated their playing history, quite a few teams would offer a player they had just released, a contract at the start of the game.

For example, I played with an updated database for FM11, and West Ham were always offering Upson a contract at the start of the game, and he kept signing for West Ham even though he had just left them.

Im not disputing that it does happen, but it is very rare, i know Aberdeen have tried all summer to get Sone Aluko to re-sign with us and he has said no despite the fact he has had no offers and is not likely too in the near future as we would be due £200k compensation money which i doubt anyone is going to pay, interestingly enough at this rate he is going to either retire from pro football or retire altogether, but thats the only close to home example i can think of. Ive had players retire and leave the club yet sign on as a staff member a few days later, but i guess thats a different scenario altogether.

Its stupid, Gavin Mahon was released at the end of the 10 season and was then taken on a monthly rolling contract several months later. So not only did he sign but he signed on much worse terms than before.

Players in FM cut their nose of to spite their face and would rather be unemployed than go back to an old club..

Archived