I have used one formation for every home match and one for every away match

To an observer, the shape that my team will take before any given game could not be more predictable, and yet I keep reading news items saying that I like to keep my opponents guessing and labelling me a "tinkerer" (although to be fair, it's not the worst thing I've ever been called).

I guess because having one formation for home matches and one for away matches means I often play a different formation from one game to the the next, the game has decided that I am always "tinkering"; but it still strikes me as a bit silly.

It's a sign of how good the game has become that things like this become hugely annoying. Tinkering implies you play 352, 433, 811 etc. It perhaps ought to compare home vs home and away vs away before deciding if you're a natural fiddler.

I use one formation for both home and away matches, and stick with it for years on end. Switching formations is overrated, especially since the advent of touchline shouts.

Agree... I never change formation. Player instructions, roles, playing philosophy, touchline instructions... thats enough of maneuver space to keep thing interesting.

I use the same starting formation for every game (4-5-1), but occasionally change during a game if I am losing to take off my DMC and play an extra striker, changing to a 4-4-2/4-2-4.

I did this recently for the last 15 minutes because I was 2-0 down, but still lost 2-1. After the game, I get criticised for changing from my usually successful 4-1-4-1 and this was the reason for my defeat!

I wish the game would understand that I was playing my usual tactic but it wasn't working, so I reverted to my desperation tactic to try and get some goals.

Archived