U.S. terminology in the game and it's relevance today

I'm a Brit and I moved to the States about 6 yrs ago and I continue to purchase FM every year (Or Worldwide Soccer Manager as it was known up until a couple of years ago).

In the FMs I've purchased since I've been over here, all use terms such as 'Head Coach' for Manager and 'Shut Outs' for Clean Sheets.

I don't really have a massive problem with this but as the U.S becomes a bit more football aware (the success of the US soccer team and the Ladies team in the World Cups helped with that) they're actually now starting to use more English terms.

For example, the only way to really watch football live over here is the Fox Soccer Channel which broadcasts 2 Premier League games on Saturday and one on Sunday (Along with the Champions League).

The presenters on this show always use the term 'Manager' and 'Clean Sheet'. (Granted, one of them is English, but still...)

Also I help coach an under 9 girls team over here and the other coaches use UK phrases.

I assume it's something to do with the region you purchase the game from via Steam but it would be nice to have the option to be able to change the 'terminology' to English rather than US (like you can currency + distance units etc).

Anyone else from other countries have odd terminology in the game?

It's a small change but one that would be welcomed :D

I assume it's something to do with the region you purchase the game from via Steam but it would be nice to have the option to be able to change the 'terminology' to English rather than US (like you can currency + distance units etc).

You should be able to change the terminology back to English by changing the language from English (U.S.) to English (U.K.) in the preferences menu.

I never realized that there was an Americanized version of the game :) In Canada, ours is the British game, terminology and all.

The games on TV are mostly through the Sky Sports feed with Sky's commentators. Usually different commentators to the UK version, they do a worldwide feed which is probably better anyway.

I was going to ask for the game to be sent to me from the UK, maybe for Christmas.

I will say this:

Most American soccer fans don't use the terms "head coach" or "shutout", especially the kinds of people that would buy FM. Even if they don't use them, most people who follow the sport at least know what they mean. I really don't see the point in the change in terminology.

I will say this:

Most American soccer fans don't use the terms "head coach" or "shutout", especially the kinds of people that would buy FM. Even if they don't use them, most people who follow the sport at least know what they mean. I really don't see the point in the change in terminology.

It depends on the commentator, most soccer commentators on the Canadian sports channel do have at least one who comes from England and will use UK terminology. The ones who played in England and came back to be a commentator would say things like 'manager' and 'clean sheet' but on SportsCentre the anchor would say 'Head Coach' and 'Assistant Coach' instead of Manager and Assistant Manager. I would say over here we're more likely to say General Manager than Director of Football/Soccer. But I think most knowledgeable soccer fans here in Canada and the States can differentiate between the two.

We use the term Head Coach over here though, Roy Hodgson is known as WBA Head Coach by Sky Sports. Others have been known as it too...Just clicked watching the WBA game on SS the other week.

I think the term "head coach" is fairly common in clubs that use a Technical Director setup.

To add to the discussion:

I'm American and have only ever known the English terminologies. When I first purchased an FM version that defaulted to American English (can't remember if it was FM 08 or 09) I was completely lost and couldn't understand a thing! Pretty funny considering I'm American...finding out that I could change the language over to UK English was a happy day.

Now, it is the VERY FIRST thing I modify with each new version of FM.

Australian news often uses terms like these as well, because of the AFL and NRL... I find it funny because everyone else involved in Australian football uses the UK terms... heck, some still call it soccer over here!

This seems to be the case here in New Zealand as well...constantly having a conversation with someone..."So you're going to the soccer..." "Football" "...this weekend?"

And similarly with some of the other terms as well.

Australian news often uses terms like these as well, because of the AFL and NRL... I find it funny because everyone else involved in Australian football uses the UK terms... heck, some still call it soccer over here!

i find that football (when talking to my mates) can be very confusing (rugby league, AFL, football [as we all know it as] and others) so i think it's just easier to say soccer

i find that football (when talking to my mates) can be very confusing (rugby league, AFL, football [as we all know it as] and others) so i think it's just easier to say soccer

I think that is easier also, especially for the news... But I personally call it football anyway...

I have ESPN and ESPN America and there are loads of shows that talk about different sports and whenever Football is brought up the panelists just ridicule the sport and say Footballers aren't real athletes... Refreshing to hear there are Americans on here who love the sport, the U.S. have some really good players after all.

We use the term Head Coach over here though, Roy Hodgson is known as WBA Head Coach by Sky Sports. Others have been known as it too...Just clicked watching the WBA game on SS the other week.

Coach has always been used in European nations too because "Manager" implies that maybe the guy is involved with higher matters than training the team. As has been said, it is more common for managers working under a technical director or those with continental roots have been known to request being called a "coach." I believe Frank Rijkaard did that anyway.

• SI Staff
As long as the Premier League isn't referred to as the BPL i'm happy...

I don't mind it being referred to as the EPL, but BPL doesn't seem right. It's all Swansea's fault. ;)

Archived