Is the 3D match engine available on iPhone?

I just been surfing previous FM versions for handhelds (specifically for the iPhone), and I have not been able to find any videos on Youtube showing the 3D match engine. The videos for FM that I found for the iPhone only showed 2D match engine games.

Can anyone confirm if FM 2012 will be playable on 3D match engine for the iPhone?

It wasn't in FMH 2011 and there haven't been any dramatic advancements in the hardware available since that came out, so it's not likely. The 2D match engine in 2011 is limited to highlights - I wouldn't expect anything massively different in the 2012 edition.

It wasn't in FMH 2011 and there haven't been any dramatic advancements in the hardware available since that came out, so it's not likely. The 2D match engine in 2011 is limited to highlights - I wouldn't expect anything massively different in the 2012 edition.

That's really a pity, I was really looking forwarding to playing FM 2012 in my new iPhone, but now that you shared this with me, I'm very disappointing to learn this.

Does anyone know if the 3D will be available on the iPhone on future FM versions, perhaps in FM 2015 or so?

• SI Staff

No there isn't a 3d engine in FMH at present; the hardware 'can' support 3d, however for the compexity required to run a realistic match engine I'm afraid the processor simply isn't 'there' yet - I'm sure that at some point in the future (not for a couple of years at least) this will change, however at present we're sticking to a 2d view until that time comes.

• SI Staff
windows7windows7windows7 ;)

The Win7 phones don't even allow native development in C++ - as such they're simply not viable for most complex programs to be ported to them.

Microsoft seem to believe that by restricting development to C# they are gaining an advantage by stopping apps being ported from their Phones to other platforms, whereas in reality all its doing is meaning that their phones remain a niche platform because its incredibly inefficient to support them.

FMH contains over 250,000 lines of C++, we have a software development team of 2 people working on the handheld games - I can't even reliably estimate how long it'd take to convert that to C#, but its definitely not feasible at present ... especially not when you consider that the market for Win7 phones is tiny compared to the iPhone, Android and even Nokia's ailing platforms ..

(so in return I see you 'win7 chant' and raise you a 'C++ please chant' ;) )

• SI Staff
Yes, but I​ want to play it :D

Buy an iTouch? ... or petition Microsoft to actually allow development in C++ on Win7 Mob (incidentally I was gutted they blocked C++ development on their mobile devices I've actually played around a bit with them and they're nice bits of kit - plus I use .NET for normal development as a preference so I'd have been very happy to work on porting the game if it'd been viable).

...the hardware 'can' support 3d, however for the compexity required to run a realistic match engine I'm afraid the processor simply isn't 'there' yet...

The new iPhone 4S is more than equipped to support the 3D engine by the time that the new FM 2013 gets ready to be developed. iPhone 4S has a dual core A5 chip, which will deliver up to 2 times more power and up to 7 times faster graphics, making it one of the top powerhouse smartphones in the market. Such power is not being overlooked by other game developers who are working on launching better 3D games for the new iPhone 4S. Hopefully, SI will follow soon and incorporate the 3D engine to its current handheld version to really reinvent its latest handheld releases.

• SI Staff
The new iPhone 4S is more than equipped to support the 3D engine by the time that the new FM 2013 gets ready to be developed. iPhone 4S has a dual core A5 chip, which will deliver up to 2 times more power and up to 7 times faster graphics, making it one of the top powerhouse smartphones in the market. Such power is not being overlooked by other game developers who are working on launching better 3D games for the new iPhone 4S. Hopefully, SI will follow soon and incorporate the 3D engine to its current handheld version to really reinvent its latest handheld releases.

Its not the '3d capability' that is the problem at all tbh - the PSP itself was more than capable with 3d graphics, its that the level of simulation required is far beyond the processing speed of the main processor.

For a comparison think about the processing speed of FM PC when you click continue game against that of FMH on the iPhone - its not that the iPhone is 10x faster than the PC processor (quite the opposite and by a larger factor) - its that the FM PC match engine is more indepth than the iPhone equivalent and has to be because of the level of detail modelling required to create its 3d match.

This is wholly different from creating an arcade game which simply don't contain the level of detail or accuracy which we try to put into our simulations.

So yes as I've said one day I hope we will be able to advance in this manner - but please be patient with us.

PS - Mobile devices having 'dual core' processors sounds great because it makes people think they're as fast as their large PC brothers, but they aren't at all ... the processors in mobile devices are incredibly slow compared to a normal laptop/desktop processor, there's a reason why Apple don't release stats on the processor speed - its not 'bad' at all in comparison to older handheld devices, but a far cry from being as fast as a desktop.

Slightly on topic, even if it was introduced I dont think I would use it, I like FMHi to be a quick managerial experience while on the go or inbetween projects in the office, where as when I play the PC version I am at home and have time to play a more in depth version.

• SI Staff
Marc, wasn't FM2009 3D pitch running with the same 2D engine from FM2008?

All the 3d engines are using an enhanced version of the original FM PC 2d engine - please do however bear in mind that the granularity of the FM PC engine is FAR different from that used in FMH (ie. the FM PC match engine takes approximately half a second to iterate on a high end PC and simulates down to 1/8th of a second for real-time physics, FMH is a quicker match engine however it doesn't simulate down to that fine a time-slice .... both give realistic result, however the FM PC one is obviously far better suited to rendering a 3d scene from).

• SI Staff
Slightly on topic, even if it was introduced I dont think I would use it, I like FMHi to be a quick managerial experience while on the go or inbetween projects in the office, where as when I play the PC version I am at home and have time to play a more in depth version.

This is also something that will be taken into account when the time comes in a few years - most likely we'd look at refining the highlight clips to (have the option) to be far shorter and snappier than on the PC game, so the game would retain its pick up and play appeal .... however as I mentioned this is a long way off at present.

Archived