Has anyone observed shouts making any difference?

I often use shouts, but have never noticed them making any difference. Is this because I use too many (typically 2-3), my players aren't good enough (Wolves) or I pick the wrong ones? For instance, I play with wingers and often use the 'exploit the flanks', 'play wider' and 'hit early crosses' shouts but never see any change in the play. I watch the full match. Perhaps because the way the team is set up they are already doing all those things and making those shouts doesn't affect it at all?

Shouts change the default setting of your tactics. If you haven't manually edited your tactic to "play down the flanks" (team settings) then the shout exploit the flanks will change it to that. If you have manually edited it to like "play down the center", the manual configuration will stay.

Play wider will change the "width" value in your team tactic setting, but only if you haven't manually changed it (checked the box next to it).

I've used shouts with Liverpool, Chelsea, England and Blackburn. I've never seen any discernible effect, as a result I haven't used them since the first 6 months or so of them being introduced. A totally unused and pointless feature in my game.

Shouts change the default setting of your tactics. If you haven't manually edited your tactic to "play down the flanks" (team settings) then the shout exploit the flanks will change it to that. If you have manually edited it to like "play down the center", the manual configuration will stay.

Play wider will change the "width" value in your team tactic setting, but only if you haven't manually changed it (checked the box next to it).

Lmao. Is this true?

"Get the ball wide!!!"

"Sorry boss, you told us you wanted it played through the middle, and that's what we'll do. If you want it wider you'll have to bring us all to the touchline and get the chalkboard out again."

Works brilliantly at lower levels.

But the higher you get, the less you need them.

Now that I'm a top-flight manager, I only use them when I'm desperate.

They do indeed. I was actually worried that the shouts we not working as well. Normally I manage non league and they worked a treat in FM11. However for the demo I managed a Championship side (No point in attempting a non league side with a small demo database) and I didn't really see the same effect. So SWaRFeGa's comments make sense in that regard.

I use them all the time and notice big differences.

For example, my Athletic team usually plays attacking and hardly ever holds the majority of possession. However, in my last match against Barcelona, I set my team to counter-attack, with the shouts "retain possession", "work ball into box", "exploit the flanks", and "drop deeper". I won 1-0, and the team played exactly to the shouts I gave them and held 55% possession. There have been times when I am down to another team and set "shoot on sight" and things such as "get ball forward'- I tend to notice more attacking, even if I don't win or score. In matches where I lead, I set "retain possession", "drop deeper", "play even safer", and "take a breather" with the contain setting and then the highlights in the ME pretty much end and so does the match.

So, yes, shouts do make a difference. That being said, there are only a few of them that I actually use.

I find "work ball into box" makes a big difference because it vastly reduces the long shots my players take, which is generally beneficial.

Only other shout I tend to use is "retain possession". I don't like it in the lower leagues because unless you play at a dangerously slow tempo, they can't do it. But at higher levels it's a great way of holding onto a lead. I perhaps wouldn't use it if I was just a goal up, except with not long left. But if I'm protecting a comfortable lead, I'll sometimes shout it as early as the start of the second half.

Archived