Anything in the UI bug you?

squad%20pick.jpg

This bugs me.

1 - I think that would be better over there, it's very crowded and fussy looking in the corner. It seems like it would live better over there.

2 - is there really any need for these to be submenus here?

It would be neater to have:

Ask to pick Entire Team> (staff name)

Ask to pick Free Slots> (staff name)

Clear Entire Team

Clear Subs Only

Team Selections >

This has bugged me from the first day I started playing the demo.

Anything in the UI that bugs you?

Here's another one. It's matchday. And nowhere on the screen does it say "vs Wigan"

I can click on the calendar to get a drop down of the team I'm facing. But surely on matchday it should be up there what team I am facing and what competition it is (cup, league, etc.)

matchday.jpg

squad%20pick.jpg

This bugs me.

1 - I think that would be better over there, it's very crowded and fussy looking in the corner. It seems like it would live better over there.

2 - is there really any need for these to be submenus here?

It would be neater to have:

Ask to pick Entire Team> (staff name)

Ask to pick Free Slots> (staff name)

Clear Entire Team

Clear Subs Only

Team Selections >

This has bugged me from the first day I started playing the demo.

Anything in the UI that bugs you?

One of the things that bugs me is the mentioned "Ask to pick" menus its very cluttered and cumbersome to use.

Yeh that's the first thing I noticed. I always get the ass man to pick the subs, I'd just want those buttons even to be on top of the players.

The player selection are central in the UI and that button is way over on the right. Makes no sense to me. And the sub menus drive me mental.

Seems like one message saying

Monthly Awards - the on the main screen it would show you who won what.

It just bugs me.

I am happy with all the transfers housed under one message. That's great. Just wish somethings were a bit neater.

Only thing that bugs me is that there is now no bread crumb trail depanding on what club you are looking at. For instance "Europe->England->Premier League-> Man utd"

I like to snoop around other teams squads and now I have to go to World-> England ->Team every time

Here's another one. It's matchday. And nowhere on the screen does it say "vs Wigan"

I can click on the calendar to get a drop down of the team I'm facing. But surely on matchday it should be up there what team I am facing and what competition it is (cup, league, etc.)

matchday.jpg

Yeah, that one bugs me too now you mention it :)

Almost impossible to make subs on windowed mode/full screen, as the team listing is so small that if you want to sub people in the middle you end up with it fast-scrolling to the top or bottom without being able to select the relevant players. You need to go out of full screen and then the team list expands enough to access all your subs.

(That probably made no sense but it's hard to explain without a screenshot.)

Yeh I know what you mean.

In FM11 there was a divider bar between the Formation and the Squad. You could drag the divider bar to make the pitch smaller, which gave more room for the players.

I do have one for that screen also. The PITCH at the bottom ... what on earth is that for? It takes up about 1/4 of the screen below the Squad and hides all the subs?

Don't understand the "Subs" icons on the right hand side. Seems pointless.

The PITCH is a replicate of the Formations but smaller. And the icons of the Subs are a replicate of what you have selected in the team selection.

Nothing in this thread bugs you about the UI?

You wouldn't rather on match day when you're picking the squad that in that large "red area in the screen shot" that it tell you who you're playing and what competition it is?

You don't find the team selection screen cluttered? Or columns from the Squad Selection go missing when you resize the screen. Or the fact that the divider bar for resizing the Formation Pitch is now gone?

I'll have more. Just need to play it again.

Breadcrumbs are now the two vertical arrows next to the club badge.

I don't like how I can't resize the panels. I'd infinitely rather have a full sized league table than 10 foot high strips. I know what I play in. Snap to grid windows aren't exactly difficult to code. I don't want it to automatically give me 10 panels it thinks I want. I'd like to be able to use the extra space of a larger resolution to pick and choose what I wish to show. Hence resizable panels. It's proven possible in the Match Engine, I want it on the front end too.

Equally I can't move everything around as I'd like. Some panels can only be switched with certain others. So it's not very customisable at all :( This version feels like it has an overwhelming amount of data, whereas before there was a lot, but it was easier to only see the important bits.

The "ask assistance to pick" box is tiiiiiny and a complete faff.

Still no freaking tabbed browsing so I can't pull up 10 players I want to look at as I'm trawling through a list.

When I click Senior Squad I want it to drop down automatically. Not have a tiny drop down arrow next to it.

The back button doesn't make it obvious that holding it down gives a list of recent viewed things.

If I view a league table, then click some stats, then go back, it doesn't return to the league table. Although it's never done this.

The back button on the mouse only registers now and again. (And I've tried with perhaps a dozen mice).

Despite saving a style to view players in, it doesn't default to that. So I have to pick it every time. See also "My Team Motivation" in the match day thing.

This has been a pet peeve since FM11 - The inbox on the home screen. It takes up so much room and I don't even look at it. The ability to change this to finances or training levels (like you can on the other boxes on the home screen) would be most welcome.

i just wish that the stat octagon was on the player profile page

I have a hunch that this may well be implemented soon. Not sure if they could implement that with a patch but I've see a few guys from SI mention they're looking into it on the forums. Fingers crossed ;)

The search for a player/staff member layout in the transfer center is just horrible, I hate it. That's probably my biggest issue.

Yeh it's really complete. I wanted to search for a defender that's left and right sided. But I had to go "Add">"Position">"Defender Left"... "Add">"Position">"Defender Right"

Where I thought I could just go "Show Filters" like that's on the squad screen! But no. A different way of filtering was necessary here for some reason?

I agree the home page is a bit of a shambles. Every box should be changeable in my opinion to anything involving your club even youth results and stats and also loaned out player stats.

I agree it would be great if it was a bit more customisable. I certainly don't see a need for the whole side of the screen to be taken up by the inbox - that could be split in two, and have each one set to a custom feed.

The rest of the ideas so far have been stellar.

Nothing in this thread bugs you about the UI?

You wouldn't rather on match day when you're picking the squad that in that large "red area in the screen shot" that it tell you who you're playing and what competition it is?

You don't find the team selection screen cluttered? Or columns from the Squad Selection go missing when you resize the screen. Or the fact that the divider bar for resizing the Formation Pitch is now gone?

I'll have more. Just need to play it again.

No i'm not that bothered. Seems good to me.

I would be more concerned if there was any game breaking stuff.

Yeh it's really complete. I wanted to search for a defender that's left and right sided. But I had to go "Add">"Position">"Defender Left"... "Add">"Position">"Defender Right"

Where I thought I could just go "Show Filters" like that's on the squad screen! But no. A different way of filtering was necessary here for some reason?

Something like Genie Scout's search screen would be cool (i.e. it gives you a picture of the position screen and you click the dots, and has all the attributes available on one screen - if you don't want something, leave it blank).

I agree it would be great if it was a bit more customisable. I certainly don't see a need for the whole side of the screen to be taken up by the inbox - that could be split in two, and have each one set to a custom feed.

Custom feeds :thup:

I guess the whole point of the overview is that it should spot obvious issues within your squad and help plan ahead, with the idea that you will need to drill-down into detail if you want to fix complicated things, and a giant inbox isn't always solving such an issue. Custom feeds would be good.

No i'm not that bothered. Seems good to me.

I would be more concerned if there was any game breaking stuff.

Poor UI can be considered game-breaking for some. Never underestimate the usability of software. Software can be awesome for all it cares - if its UI is rubbish, users won't consider it awesome.

Make no mistake. I think the UI is good. But it can be a lot better. I'm a designer by trade so I look for efficiency when using a UI and I'll often have 3rd party people create custom UIs and panels for me for things that just aren't in the programs I use.

From a pure efficiency point of view, the UI in FM is pretty bad.

Poor UI can be considered game-breaking for some. Never underestimate the usability of software. Software can be awesome for all it cares - if its UI is rubbish, users won't consider it awesome.

That may be so but the UI is far from rubbish, I love it.

Poor UI can be considered game-breaking for some.

I nearly threw the computer out the window the other day, trying to get Appearnaces and Condition to show up on the squad selection screen at the same time.

I play in windowed mode, and I was so frustrated fiddling around with the width of the columns, then the with of the FM window.

Where before I used to be able to pull the divider over and the Formation pitch would shrink, leaving more rooms for columns. But now you can't even collapse anything on the Squad selection screen.

Quite frustrating.

What do you mean by that?

You see at the top of this forum there's the

Forum> Football Manager Forums> PC/Mac General Discussion>

With links back to the main forum.

In the game - there's only a Back Button with a hidden drop down menu. I honestly wouldn't have known that you could right click on that to get a list of recent pages.

It would be nice to have a little trail like that visible on the screen so if I went to

Prem Table> Man Utd> Nani> Alex Ferguson

It showed as little links on the top of the page, and I could click on any of them to get back to any of the screens.

Or is it supposedly in the game?

• Administrators

Not true, they are quick flicks.

You will find breadcrumbs, or should, at the bottom of the screen in FM. Please log an issue in the UI bugs forum about them disappearing if you know how this reproduces.

I don't like how I can't resize the panels. I'd infinitely rather have a full sized league table than 10 foot high strips. I know what I play in. Snap to grid windows aren't exactly difficult to code. I don't want it to automatically give me 10 panels it thinks I want. I'd like to be able to use the extra space of a larger resolution to pick and choose what I wish to show. Hence resizable panels. It's proven possible in the Match Engine, I want it on the front end too.

Equally I can't move everything around as I'd like. Some panels can only be switched with certain others. So it's not very customisable at all :( This version feels like it has an overwhelming amount of data, whereas before there was a lot, but it was easier to only see the important bits.

There's technical reasons why panels can't be resized, and why you can't just have anything in any one custom widget (some things just won't fit).

?

When I click Senior Squad I want it to drop down automatically. Not have a tiny drop down arrow next to it.

That would negate being able to select it with one click, as with the club name in the titlebar.

The back button doesn't make it obvious that holding it down gives a list of recent viewed things.

It's a back arrow, with a textual label. All browsers have a back arrow, some with the ability to view recent things with a right-click (Chrome does this). What's not obvious?

If I view a league table, then click some stats, then go back, it doesn't return to the league table. Although it's never done this.

This is a bug, could you log this in the UI bugs forum please?

The back button on the mouse only registers now and again. (And I've tried with perhaps a dozen mice).

Have you ensured your mouse setting is set up in your control panel? Working ok with my mouse here. Log an issue in the UI bugs forum to do with this if you can, stating your mouse model details.

Despite saving a style to view players in, it doesn't default to that. So I have to pick it every time. See also "My Team Motivation" in the match day thing.

This is a bug - log this in the UI bugs forum please?

RE - tabbed browsing - nice idea but it's a feature request, we don't support that functionality at present.

No saying there's bugs in the UI. Things that bug people about the UI.

Just think there's more efficient ways to layout the interface.

Perhaps though "not showing the team your facing or competition" on matchday is a bug? It really should be there when you go the squad selection on match day

• Administrators
What do you mean by that?

You see at the top of this forum there's the

Forum> Football Manager Forums> PC/Mac General Discussion>

With links back to the main forum.

In the game - there's only a Back Button with a hidden drop down menu. I honestly wouldn't have known that you could right click on that to get a list of recent pages.

In Google Chrome, there is a back and forward button next to the address bar which can be right-clicked to view a recent history.

It would be nice to have a little trail like that visible on the screen so if I went to

Prem Table> Man Utd> Nani> Alex Ferguson

It showed as little links on the top of the page, and I could click on any of them to get back to any of the screens.

Or is it supposedly in the game?

There "breadcrumbs" at the bottom of your screen, that show the 'path' of the person, club, competition etc that you are currently viewing.

If you do not see this at all, please let us know in the UI bugs forum, cheers

1. Not true, they are quick flicks.
    You will find breadcrumbs, or should, at the bottom of the screen in FM. Please log an issue in the UI bugs forum about them disappearing if you know how this reproduces.
  2. There's technical reasons why panels can't be resized, and why you can't just have anything in any one custom widget (some things just won't fit).
  3. ?
  4. That would negate being able to select it with one click, as with the club name in the titlebar.
  5. It's a back arrow, with a textual label. All browsers have a back arrow, some with the ability to view recent things with a right-click (Chrome does this). What's not obvious?
  6. This is a bug, could you log this in the UI bugs forum please
  7. This is a bug - log this in the UI bugs forum please?
  8. RE - tabbed browsing - nice idea but it's a feature request, we don't support that functionality at present.

1. Never noticed the breadcrumbs at all. I don't think they're very obvious so if that's where they are - I'll check later.

2. Pity panels can't be resized. But not even the columns can be resized, nor can you add or remove columns (during match play)

3. This refers to the location of the "Ask the Assistant to pick" it's burried way over on the right side of the screen, for me it's near torture having selected the squad and then go to the far right of the screen and the sub menus in there are completely unnecessary too. See my original screen shot for an example where they're marked 1 and 2.

4. It's still terrible. The Squad button, the way the Seniors, Reserves and U18s are hidden in Sub Menus. It make it very awkward. And the arrow button is too small.

5. It's not an intuitive back or forward arrows. Some browsers have that capability, but not all of them. And it's not obvious at all that you can access the previous pages by right clicking them.

6. Will do.

7. Will do.

8. Awwwww - it's pretty neat idea though :)

In Google Chrome, there is a back and forward button next to the address bar which can be right-clicked to view a recent history.

There "breadcrumbs" at the bottom of your screen, that show the 'path' of the person, club, competition etc that you are currently viewing.

If you do not see this at all, please let us know in the UI bugs forum, cheers

I don't use Chrome. So how would I intuitively know about this? It's buried in the UI, and it's not obvious. Which is the point of the thread really.

I'll take a look. But if it's there then it's not a bug. It's simply not obvious in the UI. Which again is the point of the thread.

Thanks for replying though it's appreciated, just saying these aren't rants but suggestions :)

I realise some things are set in stone at this stage, but feedback regarding the UI usability is important, I think.

• Administrators
1. Never noticed the breadcrumbs at all. I don't think they're very obvious so if that's where they are - I'll check later.

2. Pity panels can't be resized. But not even the columns can be resized, nor can you add or remove columns (during match play)

3. This refers to the location of the "Ask the Assistant to pick" it's burried way over on the right side of the screen, for me it's near torture having selected the squad and then go to the far right of the screen and the sub menus in there are completely unnecessary too. See my original screen shot for an example where they're marked 1 and 2.

4. It's still terrible. The Squad button, the way the Seniors, Reserves and U18s are hidden in Sub Menus. It make it very awkward. And the arrow button is too small.

5. It's not an intuitive back or forward arrows. Some browsers have that capability, but not all of them. And it's not obvious at all that you can access the previous pages by right clicking them.

6. Will do.

7. Will do.

8. Awwwww - it's pretty neat idea though :)

2. Columns resized? Do you mean in the TV View Widgets (again, thats something we don't support at present)

3. I think "Selection" neatly combines saved selections and asking someone to pick the squad. You can log this in the UI bugs forum, but I'm not sure this is an issue for most people.

4. There are also filters for you to view the other squads (which is largely how I use the reserves and U18s).

5. You can also hold left-click to see a history. :)

That would negate being able to select it with one click, as with the club name in the titlebar.

Is there no reason why we can't have all the teams available in single tabs, as it has been all along in all previous FM versions? Some people - maybe a lot of people - like to switch between teams. In addition, if you're going for screen reuse, isn't there a ton of space to use in this area anyway? Two extra tabs isn't going to kill screen capex.

It's a back arrow, with a textual label. All browsers have a back arrow, some with the ability to view recent things with a right-click (Chrome does this). What's not obvious?

It is not obvious at all that this game should mimic browser functionality. It lacks a URL bar, additional typical controls for a browser (not all make sense, to be fair - stop, refresh, etc.). With Firefox, there used to be a fairly prominent downward arrow beside the back button, and users were aware that such functionality existed (i.e. right-clicking the downward arrow produced a history list of sorts). Therefore when it was removed, users were still aware functionality existed and it was easy to translate a right-click action to that downward arrow action.

This simply doesn't exist here. You are trying to force browser functionality on users who have no reason to assume this is a browser.

2. Fair enough.

3. It's still buried on the right hand side and the sub menus are still not necessary. I feel it would be best suited to have that button over the Squad. And the two other buttons over the Formation panel could be spread out. The panel for the Subs on the right could be mad "collapsable" giving more screen real estate, along with the "Tactics" on the left of the screen. The Pitch screen at the bottom of the Squad is a complete waste of space. And how come there is no divider bar between the Sqaud and the Formation like there was in FM11 (where moving the divider bar increased or decreased the size of the Formation pitch?)

4. Still want to have "Senior" "Reserve" "U18" as separate buttons.

5. Holding left click is not intuitive, just as right clicking is not.

Finally - breadcrumbs at the bottom of the page is Design Error 101 here. All best practices for Breadcrumbs say they should be at the top of a page, not the bottom. I'll raise this in the UI forums when I get home and look at them properly.

4. There are also filters for you to view the other squads (which is largely how I use the reserves and U18s).
Filters turn a one-click action (previously) into a two-click action (assuming the filters menu is up; 2 because you have to select and deselect).

I genuinely don't see how this improves the user's experience - more clicks for nothing.

Football Manager is about more than just your first-team.

Finally - breadcrumbs at the bottom of the page is Design Error 101 here. All best practices for Breadcrumbs say they should be at the top of a page, not the bottom. I'll raise this in the UI forums when I get home and look at them properly.
Breadcrumbs at the bottom is acceptable, but yes, they must be at the top.

It's acceptable at the bottom if users are expected to spend a lot of time looking/performing actions near the bottom of the screen and are expected to navigate often as well, so a breadcrumb at the bottom is just a "shortcut".

5. Holding left click is not intuitive, just as right clicking is not.
One more thing to stress here - very few controls are designed for multiple-click functionality (holding down, dragging, right-click, etc.) - if something can do many different things depending on how you click it, it needs to be made blatantly obvious; conversely, familiar functionality should never use one of these unfamiliar clicking mechanisms.

Icons and panels, for example, are one of those where click-and-hold is an acceptable and familiar action for a user. For a button, however, right-clicking is not intuitive (it's supposed to be "left-click and something happens"), nor is holding (holding is useful for canceling - if you click-and-hold on a button, then drag the mouse off the button, then release, it cancels that button click). You need to be very, very careful when employing multiple mouse actions on a control of any sort.

Still no freaking tabbed browsing so I can't pull up 10 players I want to look at as I'm trawling through a list.

I thought my Mouse was on it's way out, it's always bugged me when the back button doesn't respond and have recently been thinking of getting a new one, glad to find out it's an FM issue and not my mouse.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but you can't click on a player in tactics screen to change roles etc, you've got to go into a separate screen (player instructions). My biggest grip with the UI so far as I used this quicker function a lot.

Archived