PSU Issue...

My computer keeps cutting out when I play games... any games, even old ones like Spre and Fable. It cuts out after about ten minutes of play. Most of the time I cant even get past the FM splash screen in order to play the game.

I've done memtest, came back ok.

AMD OverDrive CPU stress test, no problems there.

ATiTool worked fine. Although there was quite a loud whine whilst under load.

Frumark came up with no issues also.

This leads me to conclusion that the PSU is not kicking out as much juice as it claims (500w). Its just a generic Atrix PSU which came with the case when I bought it. I havent used AITeaweker and underclocked anything yet to see if that resolves the issue, I'll give that a try in a moment.

I am thinking about picking up a new PSU tomorrow and I was looking at some reccomendations which would be ideal for my setup.

--

Barracuda 500GB HDD

Phenom 2 x3

Sapphire Radeon 4850

Thanks in advance

Brad

its more than likely to be a power issue. a generic 500w PSU will not be as good as a high end one (obviously) although it could be as simple as an internal fan has cut out or is not working as well due to dust. open up your computer (once its all turned off and unplugged) and check all of the fans. if they are covered in dust, or have a lot of cables etc... in the way this will cause problems.

get rid of the dust with a soft brush (decorators paintbrush will do the trick) or a can of compressed air and see if things work a bit better.

There isn't a spec of dust inside the case. I'm fully aware of overheating issues and its not that. The system is virtually new. It is the PSU.

CPU and HDD never go above 40*C. I this know from the temp probes in the case as well as AMD OverDrive utility, and the GPU never goes over 55*C under load.

Anyways, going into the BIOS and actually setting voltage and frequency values has done the trick, for now, instead of letting the motherboard determine these for its self. Have overclocked the voltages slightly and set the frequencies a little lover and I can now acress the game and played about five minutes of a match before I exited.

Thats a more than a little overkill for that system though, if you want to try and save a bit of cash then go for this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w-psu-coolermaster-gx-rs550-acaae3-uk-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v

You can find them cheaper aa i paid £45 from scan on a today only deal (they do them every day by the way). Its not the ideal psu but it is solid ( i have one my self with i5 ad gtx 460) it has a high amp single 12v rail and is also very quiet.

Another good psu is the Antec Basiq Series VP550P or the Thermaltake SP-530PCWEU.

Have a look at this review from bit-tech - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/09/13/what-is-the-best-400-599w-psu/10

A good 500-600w psu will do you nicely and will also have a bit of headroom if you decide to upgrade you gpu or other bits in the future.

Archived