Can someone answer this once and for all?

If i set a player with the role of playmaker or target man do i need to then tick the playmaker/targetman checkbox in the team instructions?

I ask for these reasons:

If i don't have to tick it:

1. then why can't i choose how to deliver the ball to my target man without ticking it?

2. why can i set multiple players with the role of playmaker or target man as the game can only handle the one?

If i do have to tick it:

1. why does the players name that i have set with the playmaker/targetman role appear selected in the 'choose playmeker / target man' dropdown (although the drop down itself is disabled as the checkbox is not ticked)?

I think the tick option is basically the formation will have him play like a playmaker. The actual selectable role is what he intends to do. So if say he is a MC with the role CM:Attack and you tick the box he'll try and play a more playmaking role but in his position.

If you dont tick the box you can have a defensive playmaker and an attacking playmaker - or 2 of each depending on your formation. If you do tick the box you will one 'primary' playmaker. Up to you whether you think there is any benefit in multiple playmakers, but the option is there.

The roles define how they play; the tick boxes define how the rest of the team adjusts to them. A playmaker (ticked) will get the ball passed to him more often early in the buildup phase, and players will aim for a target man (ticked) far more often than a target man (just the role). When either of these target men do get the ball though, they behave the same way (assuming they're on the same individual settings). Playmakers (just the role) will similarly look for dangerous passes the way any playmaker would, but the team doesn't immediately look for them the way they do a playmaker (ticked).

The roles define how they play; the tick boxes define how the rest of the team adjusts to them. A playmaker (ticked) will get the ball passed to him more often early in the buildup phase, and players will aim for a target man (ticked) far more often than a target man (just the role). When either of these target men do get the ball though, they behave the same way (assuming they're on the same individual settings). Playmakers (just the role) will similarly look for dangerous passes the way any playmaker would, but the team doesn't immediately look for them the way they do a playmaker (ticked).

I'm not sure what tactics style he is using to help him. If he is using the Modern Tactics i.e. tactics creator then when you set a strikers role has target man he will appear in the target man box has your default TM (box is grey out) then he would only have to tick how to play ball to the TM if he leaves it unticked it will be defaulted (greyed out) to mixed.

If he is using the classic tactics then he would have to tick the box use target man for the team to obvious use him.

I was the modern style and play with 2 attacking playmakers in my Centre Midfield in a 4-5-1, the computer automatically picks a default (greyed out) on what it thinks is the best out of the 2. If you want to change it you have to tick the box and pick the player you want.

Archived