FM12 Adaptive Layout

Is, after playing the demo for a few hours, going to be the reason why I will not buy Fm12.

It's a step in completely the wrong direction with regards to the way that the game displays information, particularly at Full HD.

There are far too many small panels showing bits of information with ... - so it doesn't actually show you anything useful that you can take in at a glance.

The whole home screen is a complete information overload, so much so that after 5 minutes of using it, my eyes instinctively skip everything that it attempts to display and I have to concentrate far harder than I should in order to use the UI.

The font choice is horrible, again the smaller font is too small by far, and the main font is far too condensed in the frames to be easily readable.

For some reason, an extra click or two has been added into almost every player operation (going to contracts, transfer status, making bids, viewing attributes etc). The game should be moving towards a more streamlined experience, but instead it has moved further and further along the dreadfully clumsy and cluttered path it has been taking since the transformation into Football Manager.

The UI needs a complete overhaul.

Is, after playing the demo for a few hours, going to be the reason why I will not buy Fm12.

It's a step in completely the wrong direction with regards to the way that the game displays information, particularly at Full HD.

There are far too many small panels showing bits of information with ... - so it doesn't actually show you anything useful that you can take in at a glance.

The whole home screen is a complete information overload, so much so that after 5 minutes of using it, my eyes instinctively skip everything that it attempts to display and I have to concentrate far harder than I should in order to use the UI.

The font choice is horrible, again the smaller font is too small by far, and the main font is far too condensed in the frames to be easily readable.

For some reason, an extra click or two has been added into almost every player operation (going to contracts, transfer status, making bids, viewing attributes etc). The game should be moving towards a more streamlined experience, but instead it has moved further and further along the dreadfully clumsy and cluttered path it has been taking since the transformation into Football Manager.

The UI needs a complete overhaul.

x2

I had to close my eyes for a few seconds .. i'm not exaggerating, i'm not trying to be dramatic, i literally had to because they were starting to tear up from having to focus more on what i was reading than i probably should.

So let's look at the home screen. We can see immediately that the game has in no way been designed for HD resolution as there are 10 panels on display. Each panel is half-filled by small text (which could easily be bigger, look at all the blank spaces!).

Some panels have scroll bars, some have different coloured icons, some have progress bars, some have little weather icons, and then there's the news display on the far right of the screen where the headlines are not differentiated from the text underneath in any discernable way.

Who ever thought that that layout is good needs to be shot.

Player screens are far worse, as there are duplicate panels, even more numbers and little bits of information and so on.

I had hoped that using Windowed mode would be a workaround for this, but it isn't, as reducing the size of the window also reduces the size of the text and the interactive objects.

http://imgur.com/jwnSO

Have to say I agree with Wakers, the new layout is ridiculously overloaded with info on every page. The set-up has been very good for the last few editions, so I don't know why the need was felt to start throwing in extra panels left, right & centre. I'm just hoping that someone will come up with a skin that will fix this.

I don't know but... I can read it perfectly fine? I don't see why people are having problems with this personally. Doesn't hurt my eyes or make my brain implode due the information on the screen as you can easily just focus on a single panel.

Each to his own i guess.

Archived