Foreign player rules in different leagues?

The ones I know fairly well are:

Sweden: Unlimited number of non-EU/foreign players on the squad, but no more than three can be brought to the games.

Italy: Max number of foreign signings per season. Somebody please explain this.

England: No limits to how many foreign players you can have on the squad or in any game. Work permits required upon signing. Getting a permit or not depends on quality of player/international appearances, role in team (?). Still a mystery to me who gets these permits.

Netherlands: Free! All nationalities welcome.

Please add to the list. Spain? France? Germany? Other...

Australia: has a limit of 3 foreign players.

Germany: I think this is unlimited

Portugal: Pretty sure it's unlimited

Scotland: Same as England, or close to it

Not entirely sure for any of them bar Australia.

Originally posted by BP_Doosra:

Thanks. Is Germany unlimited anyone?

Originally posted by skogmantore:

Italy: Max number of foreign signings per season. Somebody please explain this.

can sign 1 non-EU player per year from abroad regardless of age or whether you're going to loan him out, etc. if they are a non-eu player but already in italy, this doesn't count towards that limit. other than that, no limits on the amount of foreigners on your team.

Originally posted by skogmantore:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BP_Doosra:

Thanks. Is Germany unlimited anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is unlimited in Germany. At least in the top tier. You can only use 3 non EU players in the cup though.

Spain is no more than 3 in your squad of 24.

Italy is one non EU signing per season.

Netherlands is unlimited.

Germany is unlimited except for the German Cup (the League Cup is ok).

England and Scotland is unlimited as long as they have a work permit.

Frnace is 4 (i think).

Portugal is unlimited.

Russia/Ukraine/Turkey etc is something like 12 but it rgards anyone who isn't HG as foreign, even EU Nationals.

Originally posted by Frame:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skogmantore:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BP_Doosra:

Thanks. Is Germany unlimited anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is unlimited in Germany. At least in the top tier. You can only use 3 non EU players in the cup though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> It is the same rules in the 2nd division. Teams in the 3rd division and regional divisions must have at least 3 german under 21 players and 6 german under 24 players.

Originally posted by Nomis07:

Spain is no more than 3 in your squad of 24.

Italy is one non EU signing per season.

Netherlands is unlimited.

Germany is unlimited except for the German Cup (the League Cup is ok).

England and Scotland is unlimited as long as they have a work permit.

Frnace is 4 (i think).

Portugal is unlimited.

Russia/Ukraine/Turkey etc is something like 12 but it rgards anyone who isn't HG as foreign, even EU Nationals.

That would be because Russia/Turkey/Ukraine are not members of the EU and as such it wouldn't make sense for them to acknowledge EU nationals..

South Korea

Maximum of 3 foreign players can be registered at any one time. Unlimited ammount of foreigners may be signed by the clubs.

No foreign Goalkeepers can be brought.

North Korean's don't count as foreign player and do not gain Korean nationality after 5 years.

Yeah but what is the likelihood of any North Koreans playing in South Korea considering that the citizens of North Korea aren't allowed to leave the country (unless given special permission). I mean the country is fenced off to stop both people getting in and out.

Good thread.

Always wondered what exactly were the rules for different leagues/competitions.

Doesn't Portugal's FGN limit not affect Brazilians though? Seems like they can have as many Brazilians as they want or something like that. Not sure but would be good if someone could clear it up.

France also has a rule with certain Africans or something like that and now Spain does too starting last year which is why Mahamadou Diarra was suddenly not a 'Foreign' player anymore. Again, not sure but I remember something along these lines. Would be nice if someone with more exact knowledge on the matter could clear things up.

In Iceland you can sign as many non-EU players and as many players as you like on loan but, there can only be 4 loan players in the match day squad and only 3 non-EU players.

Considering how many Brazillians move to that league when both are active it keeps me in a favourable position with my English imports icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by PLF:

Good thread.

Always wondered what exactly were the rules for different leagues/competitions.

Doesn't Portugal's FGN limit not affect Brazilians though? Seems like they can have as many Brazilians as they want or something like that. Not sure but would be good if someone could clear it up.

France also has a rule with certain Africans or something like that and now Spain does too starting last year which is why Mahamadou Diarra was suddenly not a 'Foreign' player anymore. Again, not sure but I remember something along these lines. Would be nice if someone with more exact knowledge on the matter could clear things up.

Brazil is a former colony of Portugal, thus, why they can play as many as possible.

Same with France and several African nations, they are former colonies and the same rules apply, quite a few players who end up in the french national squad are african by birth (like Viera who's senegalese i believe) because they are eligibil/get nationality quicker.

The rules in Turkey changes every year. I don't know the current rules yet or if they have been decided but it went something like this the past season:

For the premier division (Turkish Super League) teams can register up to 8 foreigners a season. They can only field 6 at a time and bench the other 2, this rule is referred as the 6+2 rule (the possibility of signing an 8th foreigner was introduced during the winter break, so clubs actually started off with the 6+1 rule at the beginning of the season).

For the 1st division teams can only rgister up to 2 foreign players only from the Turkic nations Uzbekistan, Tukmenistan, Kazakhstan, Azarbeijan, and Kyrgyzstan. Clubs that have been relegated can honor contracts with foreign players only if they were signed while they competed in the premier divison, they are not allowed to renew contracts until they get promoted again.

2nd and 3rd divisions you can;t have any foreigners. On a strange note amateur divisions that apear after the 3rd professional division of football have no limits on foreign players but once a club gets promoted they are not allowed to register these players until they reach the top flight unless they are from a Turkic nation in which case they may register them in the 1st division.

The TFF made some recent changes to these rules, but I haven;t checked them out yet. Maybe I'll post about em later.

By the way of course EU nationals would count as foreigners as was explained by the previous poster.

Bulgaria: Maximum of 4 non-EU players in the match squad.

Croatia: Maximum of 4 foreign players in the first 11.

Czech Republic: Maximum of 3 non-EU players in the first 11.

Hungary: Maximum of 5 non-EU players in the match squad.

Poland: No player restrictions.

Romania: Maximum of 3 non-EU players in the first 11.

Russia: Maximum of 6 foreign players in the first 11 (the match squad must also contain 2 homegrown U20-players).

Serbia: No player restrictions.

Slovakia: Maximum of 4 non-EU players in the match squad.

Slovenia: Maximum of 3 non-EU players in the match squad.

Ukraine: Maximum of 7 foreign players in the first 11.

Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

Anyone else agree with me that each league's rules tab should explain the rules of what kind of players can be selected? At the moment, it does not.

It already does this.

E.g. in France L1 rules state "no player restrictions" whereas L2 rules state "the match squad must have no more than 2 non EU players".

Originally posted by majago:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

Anyone else agree with me that each league's rules tab should explain the rules of what kind of players can be selected? At the moment, it does not.

It already does this.

E.g. in France L1 rules state "no player restrictions" whereas L2 rules state "the match squad must have no more than 2 non EU players". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops, yes. I meant rules about signing players. Basically, have the game display the rules that would make threads like this unneeded. I mean, it already says loan rules, so why not signing rules as well?

It would make decisions on what league you want to manage in a lot easier, and just generally be a Good Thing.

Brazil is a former colony of Portugal, thus, why they can play as many as possible.

Yes, almost all Brazilians have some Portuguese ancestor.

Also, in Brazil people from Portuguese language countries like Portugal, Angola or East Timor only need a year to become Brazilians.

Archived