FM2012 DPI Settings and Font Sizes

Now that most standard PC monitors are 16:9 / 16:10 widescreen with extremely high native resolutions (mine is 1920x1080) i was wondering whether SI have or are going to implement a "toggle DPI" setting within the game preferences?

The reason i ask is that at the moment i'm inbetween a rock and an hardplace with my current monitor as playing FM on my native resolution makes the text extremely sharpe to look at but the font size is immensley tiny that it gives me an headache (before i get the old "go to the opticians etc" i already wear glasses) and if i move away from my monitor's native resolution the font size is better but the text sharpness becomes a lot more blurry also giving me an headache.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playing at full HD (1920x1080) is bad in the demo. Windowed or full screen, the font is tiny and will surely give me headaches (even with my glasses on!) if I play it for any length of time.

Please, please, please implement a setting to change the dpi of the font, or just a quick and dirty one to change font size.

Whoever designed the UI must have the eyesight of an eagle.

Something that is becoming apparent to me the more I play the demo is that the condensed nature of the font really, really makes it almost impossible to take in the (too much) information the game is trying to display all at once. My eyes just switch off and I have to read everything two or three times before I actually manage to take it in.

It's such a poor choice of font and is once again seemingly catering to the majority (i use that term very loosely, considering the poll we had on here a couple of weeks ago) who are using tiny screens from 1995.

• SI Staff

If you find the font small on larger screens then perhaps try dropping the in-game resolution down slightly? - I'm very short-sighted and while I have a lovely large iMac screen I actually run 1024x768 resolution so that I can read things easily ... just personal preference.

(going forward perhaps a big text - high res skin might be a good idea as an option?)

If you find the font small on larger screens then perhaps try dropping the in-game resolution down slightly? - I'm very short-sighted and while I have a lovely large iMac screen I actually run 1024x768 resolution so that I can read things easily ... just personal preference.

(going forward perhaps a big text - high res skin might be a good idea as an option?)

Yea...but that doesn't help with Windowed mode. It's fine for when I just want to play FM, but seeing as its such a slow paced game that isn't very often. Windowed mode is pretty poor in its current state, and a hi-res skin is badly needed, imo.

Yea...but that doesn't help with Windowed mode. It's fine for when I just want to play FM, but seeing as its such a slow paced game that isn't very often. Windowed mode is pretty poor in its current state, and a hi-res skin is badly needed, imo.

Agree with this, windowed doesn't utilise the screen space at all well.

And you should never need to change your resolution to read detail in software! People work with resolutions they are comfortable with.

It's not 2000 where you occasionally had to change your resolution to 800x600 because the software was a little old and failed with modern drivers.

This'll basically depend on how many inches those 1920x1080 pixels are spread across, i.e. the dot pitch of your monitor. On my 23" 1920x1080 screen the text is quite noticeably bigger than on my 13.3" 1280x800 laptop. A dpi setting in-game would be nice - I'd use it to shrink the text on my main monitor! - but yeah, it's not like it's unreadable on every full hd screen.

This'll basically depend on how many inches those 1920x1080 pixels are spread across, i.e. the dot pitch of your monitor. On my 23" 1920x1080 screen the text is quite noticeably bigger than on my 13.3" 1280x800 laptop. A dpi setting in-game would be nice - I'd use it to shrink the text on my main monitor! - but yeah, it's not like it's unreadable on every full hd screen.

I have a 22inch on full HD and the normal text is annoying. I don't know whether it's more the font size, or simply the font itself being too condensed that makes it hard to read. Where it goes onto explaining where a player is famous and whatnot, the text is so crammed together that my eyes just refuse to read it.

The subtext font however is definitely too small at HD.

This is the exact same problem i am having. Currently finding the game totally unplayable because of the font size/resolution. Long been a fan of the series and registered with the site to convey my dismay at this problem. Just downloaded the demo, hopefully this can be fixed or i wont be able to play the game this year :-(

most definately a better hi res skin is required PLEASE!!!. There is no point having hi res if you have to drop the screen resoloution just to read text. I have my PC hooked up to a 32 inch HD Tv and sit a good distance back, I shouldn't need to be sat with my nose up to the scren just to read a menu option.

Marc, I've tried every resolution on the list and apart from my monitors native resolution the text becomes blurry and hard to focus on therefore i'm still getting headaches. At one point I even contemplated purchasing an old 4:3 monitor with a low native res so i can play comfortably but then i snapped out of this idiotic daydream and realised that was overkill. (I haven't got the pennies spare you see)

I would love to see SI implement what Microsoft have done within Windows, whereby you can zoom all text by 125%, 150% & 200% and i wouldn't mind jeopardising a few info boxes for this feature to work.

Looking at how many people have replied, including some forum veterans, the font size is affecting quite a few people's enjoyability and seeing as i've played the series since CM1 (old timer) i would hate to have to stop playing after all these years because of this.

I thought it was my condition making it harder, but apparently even people with 20/20 vision are struggling...

I don't even have a fullHD screen (22" @ 1680*1050) and the full-screen mode is a pain in the neck (metaphorically AND literally, as I need to stretch it to read the top half of the screen).

Windowed mode isn't much better, because it's smaller font on a smaller area... so the advantage of having everything nearer is canceled by having everything smaller...

I could play fullscreen @ 1024*768 but FM isn't really the kind of game I play in a 100% immersion rate. (and monitors aren't supposed to work at a lower resolution, much less at a 1995-like one!)

Seriously, a Windows-like "zoom text" option is long overdue!

I would love to see SI implement what Microsoft have done within Windows, whereby you can zoom all text by 125%, 150% & 200% and i wouldn't mind jeopardising a few info boxes for this feature to work.

I suggested this a while ago when I got my new laptop (with a high resolution). A Microsoft-like zoom function would be perfect for me.

really dont know what people are complaining about.. i play 1920*1080 and the fonts dont bother me at all

Good for you. That post has really helped this thread immensely & has been invaluable in helping those that find the readability of the font & the amount of information displayed at once a problem. I think enough people have replied for SI to see that it is a problem (not to mention it's been brought up for the last 4 releases, at least), for you to perhaps think twice about posting a macho "look at me, I'm not bothered by this problem that other people are having" +1.

I agree that the font size is too small at 1920x1080, headaches galore. Dropping the resolution isn't an option because running at a non-native resolution makes everything blurry, which is even worse. An option to adjust the size of the text is badly needed and would be much appreciated.

yes! My laptop can reduce resolution but then the picture doesent look as sharp. With FM2011 I toyed with different skins, kept on tweaking the fonts and then decided I was going to do a 'HD' version with large text etc. but i just didnt have the knowledge and no-one responded to my question. It's been like this for me since FM2011 and thankfully others are having the same issue...meaning it may now be resolved.

If you created an alternative skin with large text - essentially make it look like it's intended to but with large text, large boxes etc. At the moment each section is in a different postcode because it's stretched that far apart and whilst it's great having the game recognise different resolutions and adding things on the page. Ideally, i would recognise the large resolution and proportionatly change the size of it accordingly so it always looks comfortable. But a skin for HD monitors is a start.

Guys, the font is a bit smaller than FM2011, which is disastrous for me. I'm on 23" 1920x1080.

Here are the screenshots with default dark skins: FM2011 FM2012

Can fan made skins change font type and size? If so it won't be such a problem.

Font size hasn't changed, it's a different font we are using this year.
Okay, but as you can see from the screenshots, the new font doesn't leave space between the letters, which makes it difficult to read. Can fan made skins change font type and size?

Here is what I'm talking about, the shorter is FM2012:

iKqK0.png

Making the font bigger helps, but the lack of space between the letters seems to give a 'soft focus' effect, and it ain't easy on the eye.

Yes, I see what you are saying, the different here is the letter spacing.

As for customising the font, the Skinning Hideout forum is the best place to direct your queries, thanks.

Skinners should be able to customise the font type; I'm not entirely sure how much control skinners have over customising the size of the font, but even if it can't be increased, another font in the same size as the default may look bigger (or smaller even) depending on its own characteristics. I should also mention there's a new font rendering engine being used this year, which would ensure all custom fonts look better than they would have in years past.

Can't say I'm too impressed with SI's response either, shouldn't the people being paid to do this get it right rather than passing on a 'pig's ear' to the ever helpful, taken for granted, community?

Can't say I'm too impressed with SI's response either, shouldn't the people being paid to do this get it right rather than passing on a 'pig's ear' to the ever helpful, taken for granted, community?

Couldnt agree more, this game is almost impossible to play on large lcd .... I have 40" and I have to sit right in front of the screen :mad:

Archived