Installing Steam -> virus alert

Having just installed steam and made an account I am presented with a virus alert stating:

File name: c:\Program Files\ShoppingReport2\Bin\2.7.37\ShoppingReport.dll

Thread name: Adware Generic4.CDBG

Can I trust this?

I am using AVG.

• Administrators

I'd suggest uninstalling Steam, running your virus scanner to remove any kind of spyware etc then reinstalling. It sounds to be as the spyware has been lying dormant until you installed Steam, now it's latched onto that when it launched. I'd be extremely surprised if it was installed alongside Steam, I've done a quick search online and there's nothing to suggest it's related by install. Let me know how you get on, thanks.

OK. I removed the folder AVG complained about -> uninstalled steam -> did a virus check that found nothing -> rebooted the pc.

Then reinstalled steam and are now dl the demo. Nothing weird happened.

I've always been very careful about what is installed but I guess having a 6½ old pc and still running the same win xp install one are bound to experience odd things like this :o

Anyways, thanks for all the advice, guys - much appreciated!

Rockstar are ****ing kidding ?
They have only managed to sell over 100 million copies of their games, breaking tons of records along the way... Sure, maybe the games are rated for Mature audiences only, but that's just one aspect of a game and despite restricted audiences, sells tons.

They have only managed to sell over 100 million copies of their games, breaking tons of records along the way... Sure, maybe the games are rated for Mature audiences only, but that's just one aspect of a game and despite restricted audiences, sells tons.
the single most respected and revered PC game developer in the world.

Rockstar is console based, just look at the GTA4 port. :rolleyes:

Archived