Seasonal speacialsomething: Quick Start - Euro 2008

As you all probably know, it's very well possible to start the game somewhere around Summer 08, with the Euro qualifiers reaching their climax, the tears of joy and loss and the drawing of the groups still quite some months away.

One of the first paragraphs you can read in the manual of FM08 says: "Sports Interactive may provide quick starts for...". Maybe the demand isn't as high as it could be, given that England failed to qualify (sorry, lads), but still, as this is one of major football events in 2008: Wouldn't it be kind of cool to have a quickstart that starts somewhere pre-tournament (maybe even pre-selection of the Euro squads if you desire), with all the real teams and groups and all the bells and whistles that go along with it?

Contrary to what you may think: This is not in any way a demand I put on SI. I'm totally new to the FM scene, and as such I don't even know if Sports Interactive ever provided such quick starts, what they did with them, and to what extent. I also have no idea if it's possible to fiddle around with the editor to create such a quick save for yourselves. But this is still a neat idea I've been thinking about for a couple of weeks now - especially as the kick off of The Real Thingâ„¢ is only but a couple of weeks away now. Can't wait! icon_cool.gif

So..

a) have there been any (except for the demo)?

b) Is it possible to create your own? Not just as a saved game, mind you, but to set things up with the editor?

Technically I'm slowly beginning to approach Editors Hideaway grounds now. icon_smile.gif

maybe they should include it, but they would get accused of being biassed toards the teams that qualify, i guess it just easier for the player to start at a season start and simulate until the season until the point they want to start, in your case summer 2008, i wanted to start in jan 08 when the patch came out. it took me about half an hour just to sime to january so i think it shuld take just a little longer to sim to the summer if not faster if you have a better machine(you probaly have mines minimum spec.)

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

maybe they should include it, but they would get accused of being biassed toards the teams that qualify, i guess it just easier for the player to start at a season start and simulate until the season until the point they want to start, in your case summer 2008, i wanted to start in jan 08 when the patch came out. it took me about half an hour just to sime to january so i think it shuld take just a little longer to sim to the summer if not faster if you have a better machine(you probaly have mines minimum spec.)

You could try choosing the League of Ireland as one of your leagues, and using that to start in January 2008.

That's an easy and obvious solution. However, I was talking about a quick start that has the real groups and teams, not what the game determines once qualifying is over and done with.

In all fairness: The manual says SI MAY provide quick starts. Not that they will. Even then, an authentic Euro2008 quick start may not be on their list of things to do at all.

Taking a look around the scene, there also appears to be a number of save game editors. To what extent they allow you to set things up I don't know though...

In any case, it should be clear by know that just starting a new game would take forever getting the Euro groups right. Even if all "right" teams managed to qualify in your save, there's still the drawings...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok then. Given up. Since I'm considering to start my first save with a national team (Euros just around the corner and everything!), I'm wondering what might be the best solution to get to the real "meat" that I desire. The actual tournament.

To sign up for say Turkey, then to go on holidays would be a bit of a risky thing to do. Who knows if my assistant would manage to qualify? While we're at it: heck, who knows if *I* would be able to qualify? icon_biggrin.gif Other than that, no further solution springs to mind. Sigh.

Archived