Noob help please

Hey guys,

First off, I originally played the Championship Manager 03 game pretty sure this is the same thing obviously with heaps of improvements :)

Ok so basically I decided to buy the newest version of the game a couple of months ago as it was on special... but even though I never really played the 03 version that much I really enjoyed it as was playing with a good mate...

How I determined my team choice;

Premier league = Easy difficulty

Npower Championship = Medium difficulty

Npower League 1 = Hard difficulty

Npower League 2 = Impossible difficulty

Current situation;

Managing - Sheffield Wednesday(starting in Npower League 1, yeah a noob team but I looked at the options I was presented and determined that it would be a real achievement to get the team into position to win the Premier league and a few associated cups).

Had a great first season winning the Npower league 1 by 13 points(Signed Fabian Brandy on a free transfer after viewing him in a trial match, who then went on to score 49 goals in 32 appearances) and also managing to grab the Johnson's paint trophy.

So obviously I got promoted into the Npower Championship league... now this is where my problems lie... I'm currently running 4th with 2/3 of the season gone(I know right???) and I'm pretty much certain that if I got promoted it would only serve to ruin my chances of keeping my club(and my managerial position) stable. I told my board that I would avoid relegation so my budget is down the pooper... not that saying anything else would really have given me anymore money, I have 15mill left on Xfer's but don't really want to spend it at the moment as I feel I need to sign some major midfielders which is proving to be really difficult.

My question is should I push on despite the fact that I'm almost certainly going to be absolutely smashed as soon as I reach the premier league and get relegated again or should I deliberately throw a few games to ensure the long term survival of my team? I know I'll be able to sign a few more decent midfielders(where I'm the weakest atm) in a new season, financially I can't really handle the Premier league as well :( but then some of the deals you get there are huge which would allow me to get a few more decent players...

If I get promoted I'll only be in 2012... I'm happy to continue at the level I'm at but unsure of where I should go...

PS unrelated... If you have any great tips for a noob player PLEASE share... I've gotten by on almost luck so far and I'm hoping that my current club experience can continue :)

Thanks for any/all replies :)

The premier league is not as ruff and hard as you may think. Its quite easy to survive with a lower team, with the right setup.

Alot of people on here (check the careers forum) and have managed to sustain a decent EPL position and sort out the teams survival in the EPL, the finances and acquirement of decent EPL players to push on.

Thing is aswell, you got nothing to lose by pushing on into the EPL. Worst case is that you have to push again the next season to get back in :)

Go for it mate, will be worth while in the long term! :)

Ok sweet I'll go for it! Now I've said that though I bet I lose almost all the rest of my season lol...

Righto then guess I'll try form up my center asap and see how I go :)

Any good tips to assist me on my journey? I've only really got about 20 or so hours experience on FM2011 so wasn't expecting to go on a winning spree lol

Probably the only thing I've done right is getting both my youth training and my normal training facilities upgrades going????

Be both proactive and reactive is pretty much my suggestion.

Develop your squad for talent for the long haul (proactive) but also bolster your squad for the immediate market and scenario. (reactive)

Buy quality in numbers, not just in 1 player and always look for the bargains, both from teams reserves and loanees.. This will secure your survival in the league..

This is how I like to play it, and have on most occasions survived.. Only once I failed to do so, but was just pure luck as the last 8 games, 6 were away and the 2 home games were against Chelsea and Man Utd.. I lost all 8 and went down on goal difference, by 1 goal..

Be both proactive and reactive is pretty much my suggestion.

Develop your squad for talent for the long haul (proactive) but also bolster your squad for the immediate market and scenario. (reactive)

Buy quality in numbers, not just in 1 player and always look for the bargains, both from teams reserves and loanees.. This will secure your survival in the league..

This is how I like to play it, and have on most occasions survived.. Only once I failed to do so, but was just pure luck as the last 8 games, 6 were away and the 2 home games were against Chelsea and Man Utd.. I lost all 8 and went down on goal difference, by 1 goal..

Ouch! I'm lucky/what I was aiming for... In that I've signed ALOT of young members into my team... my average team age is 24... which really is incredibly young, I think its the main reason I'm not smashing everyone at the moment. Then again I have a huge potential for profit for instance, Fabian Brandy who I signed on a free transfer for a 5 year contract was worth 120k originally he's now worth 6 million but still only 22 years old by the time he's at his potential probably worth 10~15million at which point I'll off-load him for a huge profit(well hopefully anyway lol). Pretty much my entire first team is under 25 at the moment... which is a disadvantage in one way(current ability) but a huge one in the long term in regards to transfer payments(potential ability).

Am I correct in going for the long term goal of big payouts for my starting players so I can buy better talent in the future?? OR should I just buy up big with what I have now(15mill) and hope it works?

Its all relative to your own game. I like to keep my star players until they need replacing, but some may like to buy super young and sell in their prime.

Again, I prefer to use a mix of young and old, my average age is 27, not exactly super high, but I could lower that by selling my prime players, again its all relative to your overall game plan for the game.

I've never been a full youth squad like some of the other people play, I buy some youth talent in, sometimes I get a gem or 2 in my youth intake, I try to use the better ones, but usually just move to using experience players in my squad. I haven't got too far into the game on my current save to use regens (only in 2015), but my way of playing will be different to the person next to me..

Archived