Playing without installing steam

steam is good, does not take much of your computers memory. I dont know why some people dislike it so much
It's more than that, though, since we have context switches and the fact that that spare RAM can be used for Windows's SuperFetch technology (where it predicts and caches data into RAM on behalf of a user). It's still resources being used.

If you like, you don't need to "fill" up your memory to notice a performance boost via a memory upgrade on Windows Vista and Windows 7 - the more memory you have free, the faster your PC will react. This is partly why people suggest closing down applications like your web browser and anti-virus software when running intensive games (and this applies whether you have 2 GB of RAM or a billion gigabytes of RAM) - it simply makes it run quicker.

It really makes me laugh...

- "oh, i love FM, i really really really really want to play FM2012.... FM it's my favourite game... i'll die if i dont play FM2012"

- "ok, dude, but you have to install steam for that"

- "Shittttttt.... no way"

they always go the same way, one person says they like steam, next person says they dont, first person tells the second person its ok steam is easy to use and doesnt use a lot of your computer, third person comes in and makes a post like X42bn6 and this goes on for a few pages full of car analogies before Kriss gets bored of it all again.

Some people read it into way too much.

There's a FAQ sticky on Steam

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/275972-Football-Manager-2012-Activation-Steam-FAQ

This should be noted particularly.

Q. What resources (Memory/Disk/etc) does Steam consume on PC/MAC?

A. On PC Steam uses very little resources and it will not be noticeable, the same goes for the MAC version, whilst not as highly optimised as the PC version, it uses around the same resources as a typical webpage being open.

And the more RAM you have the better you will be able to multitask. 2GB RAM and you'll probably get poor multitasking. 4gb RAM you'll get good multitasking, and more than 4gb you'll be flying.

RAM allows you to multitask BETTER. That is, have more applications open, like Steam, Internet, Football Manager, iTunes (or other music player), etc.

Some people read it into way too much.

There's a FAQ sticky on Steam

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/275972-Football-Manager-2012-Activation-Steam-FAQ

This should be noted particularly.

And the more RAM you have the better you will be able to multitask. 2GB RAM and you'll probably get poor multitasking. 4gb RAM you'll get good multitasking, and more than 4gb you'll be flying.

RAM allows you to multitask BETTER. That is, have more applications open, like Steam, Internet, Football Manager, iTunes (or other music player), etc.

Well, duh, but the game would run quicker if fewer applications were running in the background, too.

And no prizes for guessing which process is under scrutiny here.

Archived