Biggest upset you've been part of...

My Bishop's Stortford side have just been drawn away at Anfield in the Third Round of the cup, which of course got me dreaming about the biggest cup upset of all time.

Just made me wonder what some of you have been part of (as either giant or giant killer)

So what was your finest/darkest hour?

I remember taking Liverpool into extra time in an FA cup replay as shrewsbury one time. Thats the closest I've ever come to a major upset.

I did beat a championship side before I played Liverpool though so I guess that would be my biggest upset.

On the flipside.....I lost to Northampton as Newcastle once. It was the last time for a long time that I let the youngsters get a run out.

Beat Chelsea 5-2 with Torquay United in a replay at Plainmoor. We were a middling League 2 side at the time and they fielded a weakened team for both legs. The first was a 1-1 draw and the second was just brilliant. We came out of the blocks with two goals in 3 minutes and just hit them on the counter attack all of the time. 7 shots, 4 on target and 5 goals. They had 21 shots with something like 13 on target and got 2 goals. 'Twas brilliant.

In an LLM clan game I beat Glasgow Rangers 1-0 at Ibrox on the way to a Scottish League cup final with 3rd Division Elgin, unfortunately this was back on FM07 which thanks to the Hampden bug saw the final being played out to 2500 spectators.

No lower league giant killings, beating anyone even a level above is very rare. Was on the recieving end of a massive on way back on 05 in Portugal as Braga, as regular league challengers (though no cigar either in that or in the cup) ended up as the only top division side in the quarter finals and facing a 2nd Div B side, the other 2 sides being what was is now Liga Orangina teams. The in-game post-match headline said it all, it was 'a smash and grab win for the minnows', we genuinely did throw everything to no avail as they had pretty much nothing remotely resembling a chance aside from their winning goal. That was my best chance at a trophy in what turned out to be my last season there, what at the time was a rare case of things going well at a club. I've held an in-game grudge against that side ever since, helped along by the lack of any more encounters in-game, and none in real life.

I do have a couple of continental ones, memorably my AIK side at the end of FM 10, which was very strong for that nation but no better than 'not completely rubbish' by european competition standards. A 4-0 hammering of a really strong Benfica at home has to be one of my finest FM moments ever, followed by beating an even stronger Dortmund in Germany (after drawing at home), then topping it all off by reaching a CL quarter final by beating Bayern (stronger than either of the previous two) also in Germany after a home draw, in a game I thought I had no chance whatsoever in, only narrowly being beaten by Chelsea with a few dodgy decisions over both legs. Not quite 'non league vs Premier League challengers' but we can't all be supermanagers, and the gap was still pretty big, even if it wasn't as much as in real life. There was also one on 11 in Norway, where unlike in Sweden even having a really strong (domestically anyway) side couldn't get us doing anything in Europe, and barely getting to the group stages of the Europa league sometimes. I did have a side that I did regularly get to the CL group stages in, losing every single game, with one massive exception, a 6-1 hammering over Marseille that would raise eyebrows if any side did it. Aside from maybe having a boost from only just having won the league title (which I wouldn't be surprised at but which I never would expect to have that much of an impact) there is no explanation for that, and normal losing service was resumed without fail after that.

My team's (Tuen Mun) finest hour was defeating Hong Kong powerhouses (South China) 5-4 in the Hong Kong Senior Shield quarter-finals, after extra-time. It was a topsy-turvy match - South China took the lead, but my side scored 3 goals to be 3-1 up in the 70th minute. Then, my team conspired to concede 3 goals in the last 20 minutes to bring the match into extra-time, 4-4. Fortunately my team had a little bit of gas left in their tanks, hence scoring the 5th goal to finally deflate them.

I remember this raging story. I was AC Milan and before the last league match I was a point behind Inter. The odds to be number one were very poor. Anyhow, Inter lost their match and I just had to win my home game against an already relegated team. What happend was I lead 1-0 till the last minute - up came former Milan player (his name is spelled Augb...... something like that) and made his friggin equalizer.

I of course lost the title right in front of me. This made me so mad that I had to FIRE HIS DAD! (He was a scout for me) :D

Last night my Feyenord team in the 4th season had qualified by the first knockout round of the champions league against Man Utd. United were clear favourites, however Yannik Djallo and Neymar ran riot as I pummeled them 6 - 1.

Second leg comes around, surely i wont lose by 5 goals, but still started with my first choice team........

Lost 6 - 0.

Last night my Feyenord team in the 4th season had qualified by the first knockout round of the champions league against Man Utd. United were clear favourites, however Yannik Djallo and Neymar ran riot as I pummeled them 6 - 1.

Second leg comes around, surely i wont lose by 5 goals, but still started with my first choice team........

Lost 6 - 0.

That has to be one of the worst I've seen! My own worst would be losing as Barcelona in the Euro Champs to Bangor City, only a group game, but has to be my worst one... I don't have the screenshot though as it was on a earlier FM.

i had 3 happy shocks but quite a while ago now. was stenhousemuir in the scottish 3rd division and beat premier league hibernian 1-0 at home thanks to an 85th minute winner. landed hearts at home in the next round and this time we went 2-1 up with 10 minutes left but they scored in injury time and then beat us 4-1 in the replay at tannadice. my other one came as bsp side york against league 1 bradford. we got drawn away and they led after 8 minutes and dominated. in the 93rd minute with the last kick of the game we scored and then beat them in the replay 2-0. lost 2-0 to sunderland in the 3rd round. final one was playing as luton in the championship and beating man utd at old trafford thanks to a goal from darryl duffy.

worst shock for me was playing as ajax and we used to beat virtually everyone but got bundled out the dutch cup by fc den bosch who were in the non league.

In my Luton save's 1st season I beat Liverpool 1-0 at away in the FA Cup 3rd round replay, after a 1-1 home draw. I saw the draw as a chance to make megabucks going to Anfield, never expecting to win.

Wolves put me out in the 4th round, and I didn't beat a top flight team again until 5 games into my first Premier League season, 4 years later.

edit: Sorry, second season. First season I held Everton to a draw in the 3rd round, forcing a replay and big pay day. Lost the replay though.

I'm sure I've had more than my share of moments.

Real Madrid 2-3 Barnet. First season in the Champions league, 4th seed and a great giant killing. Eventually just missed out on a top 2 spot.

Pretty sure my St Albans team had a 1-0 win at home to Liverpool. Sure Barnet beat them once or twice as well, and Chelsea. Mostly by the time I've got to the Championship but a few lower ones too.

Have knocked out a few other higher league/premiership teams but not the really big teams, only Tottenham etc.

Archived