Finally think its tme i hung up my FM boots...

So, I have decided that i finally may have to say fairwell to FM as tbh, I just dont get it anymore and its not "Fun" like it used to be (For me in my own opinion), For the past 2 versions of FM i have struggled COMPLETELY on the tatics front, Now i may just be useless but i remember the days when i could make my own semi decent tatic that i could use all the time and actually ENJOY the game, Now im constantly left scratching my head thinking, "How the hell can i actually win something", For the past 2 versions i have failed to win any, Yes you read correct, ANYTHING. (Without cheating), And to be quite frank, I dont want to have to cheat as i dont get any satisfaction out of the game, Yes i know we all want realism and we all want a challenge, But when it comes to the fact i can win a game 6-0 at home and dominate completely, I dont expect to play the next game away and get completely overrun to the fact im actually angry at a game :|, Ive said before i think this game has gone TOO indepth with all its effects that can make your team go from world beaters to sunday league in a matter of a game. Sorry just had to rant. :(

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real life? Whats that? Is that some fiction book or something? ;)

As for the Brazilian league i think i could manage anywhere and be a complete flop, I just dont understand it anymore, Just now i loaded up a new game thinking "Right i shall suceed i shall win" Took over as Burnley signed some decent quality for a team that should easily walk over most teams, First game away slogged a 1-1 draw "okay im thinking its just the start..." Second game, 6-0 demolishing of Leeds, "Finally im actually doing something decent completely destroyed them in every stat.... Next game 2-1 Defeat to Reading and was lucky to be just 2-1 :| I just dont get it, Needless to say, I got in a strop a 15yr old would e proud of and quit :|

Yes, I did, It wasnt purely because of the defeat, It was because of the nature of it, And it always happens one game pure brilliance next utter tripe, As i said ive been trying since release to actually win something (Without cheating) And i have failed miserably, And ive just lost my ability to sit there and think "Oh well maybe next game we will play better", So instead of working at it now i just give up, I dont have the patience anymore, After a year of failing one defeat is enough to say "Naaaah id rather not play"

I would read this thread... http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/265214-If-there-s-a-fork-in-the-road...take-it...iacovone-s-quot-Around-The-World-quot-Career

...and use it as an inspiration. It certainly perks me up when I'm not doing very well.

Edit: the abridged version for if you can't be bothered to read the whole thread "Iacovone travels the world getting mostly dreadful results for mostly dreadful teams. But in a brilliant, amusing and somehow inspiring way."

As stated just a minute ago, At first id play for seasons trying to get it right, Id download tatics in the end to try and suceed but all to no avail so now i do just give up as i see the same pattern all over again, To me there is no point, Either im tatically inept or i just dont have a future as a virtual manager :| lol, I want the old FM back where i could just do a tatic win and be happy not sit for hours scratching my head shouting at blobs on my screen for letting some other blob run past him :|

I dont expect to win every game nor do i expect to win the prem at the first hurdle, But what i do expect is a little more consistency than win one say 5-0 lose the next game without even a touch of the ball, All i want is to have fun on a game not actually sit there arguing with a virtual fullback or striker, I can spend absolute millions on a team better than Barcas and still manage to get pumelled by a league 1 side, I mean come on where is the fun in that? Other than laughing at yourself.....

Yeah sadly it sounds like FM has moved away from what you enjoyed, it is a lot more in depth and requires more than a sturdy space bar to get you through a season ;)

If i was you i would go back to an older version and get back to enjoying the game, no point in playing if it gets you that frustrated.

But, This is not real life, This is a game, A game i want to win, And a game i demand i can win! lol, I just think its gone from fun to being way over indepth and with way too many things to do to suceed.

3 games in and you rage quit? How about go 12 games 2-0/3-0 etc at half time (over the course of a season) and you manage to throw it away.

or you go into the 92nd minute chasing a win from 0-0, only for them to counter straightway to score for the draw.

or have 22 shots, 15 on target vs a second tier side, for them to have 1 shot, and that 1 shot is a goal.

Things happening, some are difficult to swallow, some may never happen in real life, but its part of the game and the game can only simulate actions which "MAY" actually be realistic within real football.

But, This is not real life, This is a game, A game i want to win, And a game i demand i can win! lol, I just think its gone from fun to being way over indepth and with way too many things to do to suceed.

actually if we want to be technical it's a football management simulator

eg, it's trying to be as realistic as possible :D

Reccy, Been there done that, Its just at the point now where i cant actually get motivated to try, I'll start things will be good ill be fully motivated get my squad sorted friendles go amazingly well then BANG welcome to the real world, I wouldnt mind if i got outplayed every game, But the fact is ill win convincingly then lose even more convincingly, I just dont understand where i go wrong?, Yes "Freak" Results occur and i accept this, But is every game i play a "Freak" Or am i just amazingly poor at management, Saying that i even download tatics from here from people that say they havent lost a game and overperformed etc, But even then i cant do any good. It just irks me that AI is either so much smater than me, OR i just dont understand the principles in football? :|

can't believe nobody has said this yet "it's your tactics"

In fairness its always my tactics and everyones tactics i downloaded! I think i may aswell just take over every prem league team, Surely ill win with one of them? :D

I'll echo what trekman said. Wait for the Demo and then decide if you're going to buy and play FM 2012.

Ill still buy it regardless, I know the title says "Hanging up my FM boots" But im stupidly optimistic that next time i shall suceed, Although i end up quiting after about 30mins of play time, FM12 will be bought and ill be back "Hanging" up my boots again

Ill still buy it regardless, I know the title says "Hanging up my FM boots" But im stupidly optimistic that next time i shall suceed, Although i end up quiting after about 30mins of play time, FM12 will be bought and ill be back "Hanging" up my boots again

Here's hoping your luck changes for FM 2012. :)

I think that would end up being less morale boosting more morale sapping as i can see it now, Take over, Win friendlies, Knocked out of Europe, Relegated, Jumps ship, Yes i can assure you i really am that bad. ;)

You rage too much with the sound of it. Three games in, you lose and ragequit. Now one game in, you lose and ragequit. Go seek psychiatric help.

:o!! , I only rage now due to my inability for nigh a year to actually win something :(, Im not usually this *Ragey*

I'd be here all night telling my tatics as i have so many of them now, From 4-4-2's to 4-5-1's, Ive just given up with tatics its impossible lol

Ah, so you constantly chop and change then? That doesn't help continuity.... more details, please

Ah, so you constantly chop and change then? That doesn't help continuity.... more details, please

No no, I dont chop and change on a game by game basis, I chop and change on a new save basis, I will give tatics half a season or atleast until they are fluid, But even then it does help. By many tatics i meant ive tried so many of the course of the year that i suceed with none, Although im going to try one last time and keep things the most simple i ever have done...I shall return with feedback!

Roady99 I'm sorry to hear that. All I can suggest is that you go back to the last FM that brought you joy and stick with that one for a while. And of you are feeling lucky at some point, give FM12 a try :thup:

I say go back to the basics and stick with a 4-4-2. That's how I've won in this game...with a 4-4-2 and I barely adjust anything. I'm no tactical genius but I manage to do well in most leagues I manage in. Sometimes when you're struggling it's best to simplify things.

Well, Ive just resumed my Burnley game of which i rage quitted after my 2-1 defeat changed my tatics to a 4-5-1/4-3-3 basically set it to control/balanced with zonal makring basically left everything else the same and not conceded in 4 games.....

So, I have decided that i finally may have to say fairwell to FM as tbh, I just dont get it anymore and its not "Fun" like it used to be (For me in my own opinion), For the past 2 versions of FM i have struggled COMPLETELY on the tatics front, Now i may just be useless but i remember the days when i could make my own semi decent tatic that i could use all the time and actually ENJOY the game, Now im constantly left scratching my head thinking, "How the hell can i actually win something", For the past 2 versions i have failed to win any, Yes you read correct, ANYTHING. (Without cheating), And to be quite frank, I dont want to have to cheat as i dont get any satisfaction out of the game, Yes i know we all want realism and we all want a challenge, But when it comes to the fact i can win a game 6-0 at home and dominate completely, I dont expect to play the next game away and get completely overrun to the fact im actually angry at a game :|, Ive said before i think this game has gone TOO indepth with all its effects that can make your team go from world beaters to sunday league in a matter of a game. Sorry just had to rant. :(

Interestingly I have the exact opposite view. It was only the advent of the Tactic Creator Wizard that stopped me walking away. From FM2006 onwards the slider fest was too frustrating & ultimately unenjoyable. The Wizard allows me to make Footballing tactics that work with less hassle, and the sliders are still there if your life is just needing a bit more misery and pain.

However I manage at Blue Square levels with awful teams, just performing above expectation is good enough for me. I have no chance of winning squat, frankly - it makes the game no less fun though.

There's two ways of playing this game.

1) Building your tactics slowly over the course of a career or even more than one career.

2) Downloading a tactic or a set of tactics that work for other people.

1 is far more rewarding, but 2 is far less time-consuming. If you lack patience then don't even try 1. I'm puzzled as why 2 isn't working for you though. Where are you getting your tactics from, and are you following the instructions? These days there's very few plug-and-play tactics, often people offer a little assistance in the form of a few different variations of the tactic and instructions on when to use each. And which kinds of players fit the tactic.

If you're following all that and still tripping up, then it gets weirder, perhaps it's a teamtalk/morale issue? Morale is so overpowered in this game. Hire a assman with motivation of 20 or nearly 20, and let him do all the talking to the players and press.

Real life? Whats that? Is that some fiction book or something? ;)

As for the Brazilian league i think i could manage anywhere and be a complete flop, I just dont understand it anymore, Just now i loaded up a new game thinking "Right i shall suceed i shall win" Took over as Burnley signed some decent quality for a team that should easily walk over most teams, First game away slogged a 1-1 draw "okay im thinking its just the start..." Second game, 6-0 demolishing of Leeds, "Finally im actually doing something decent completely destroyed them in every stat.... Next game 2-1 Defeat to Reading and was lucky to be just 2-1 :| I just dont get it, Needless to say, I got in a strop a 15yr old would e proud of and quit :|

I wouldn't of quit after those three results, it's the first three games of the season you said you bought a lot of players in so they will need to gel and get used to your formation as well, if you continued you would see this happen and your team will begin to play better as a result.

Also one other thing you're managing in the championship so varied results are quite common place in that league in real life as almost all the teams in there are capable of beating each other on a regular basis as it's quite an even and competative league irl.

Ive tried downloading various tactics and to be honest a) I didnt really feel any self satisfaction as this was not my own work, And b) 90% of them didnt work for me, I am currently giving it a go with with that same Burnley save/ragequit and still getting very disappointing results but i shall carry on regardless see if i get sacked :) . Im not playing a flat 442 as i wasnt scoring enough with the 451 soooo results are varying due to the new tactics and players.

If you have downloaded updates and then signed many players on top of that, there could easily be 10+ new players in your squad. If you chose a manager background "lower" than International Footballer your reputation could be quite low. If you loaded a tactic the match preparation bars could all be at minimum.

Those three put together ensures half a season (at least) of poor performances, poor morale and difficulties following tactical instructions. You could as well holiday until January and take over from there if your patience is as low as that.

And come January, I ragequit again, My tatics working wonders, Then out of nowhere BANG strikers cant score Wingers are useless and Defence? Whats that. I know irl this sort of thing DOES happen, But this is a game where is the enjoyment of it being completely RANDOM, Yes before anyone starts nothing is guarenteed in football, But im not a real life manager nor am i a real life tactician (Thank god on this harsh reality of a game), The fun from this series is dead as far as im concerned, Gone are the days when i could play for season after season, I can barely put up with 6months (Game time), Im sorry but id much rather "Fun" than "Realism".

Archived